E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How powerful does a pressure washer have to be to harm our paint?

09-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question How powerful does a pressure washer have to be to harm our paint?

I'm about to purchase items for a foam cannon setup and for rinse use. I was going to buy an electric Karcher pressure washer, but my friend has a gas powered Dewalt that's 3800 PSI/4.0 GPM he's willing to give to me. Is this too much power/pressure for our paint?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

GIVE you????? take it for free! just dial is down a bit!

1600 is enough for me!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
GIVE you????? take it for free! just dial is down a bit!

1600 is enough for me!
Ah, newbie assumption! I thought it would always be steady at 3800 PSI/4.0 GPM. Yup, give me! I was going to go with the 1600 PSI based on your recommendation and others on the forum that use the same one, but he just offered it to me when I brought up the foam cannon setup. What should I dial it down to to make sure the paint isn't harmed, 2500-3000?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

2000 or below I would say, but I just got one...lol, so I dont really know!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Hard to say at what PSI paint can be damaged... what distance? what flow rate? what angle?

The important thing is to practice common sense with this. A gas power unit will be awesome as they have even higher foaming abilities thanks to a higher flow and PSI rate. When using the wand itself, it'll be important to use a fan wide enough to not harm paint. Gas units are ready to tackle the toughest of jobs, which means cleaning cars, houses, windows, and concrete. They usually have different settings for different uses. Use the strongest setting and you're going to cause havoc.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #6
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

1600 will F your paint up and put some zig zags in your paint if you use a 0 degree tip. I used to work at a big box retailer that sold those pressure washers, my department specifically. Those things are AWESOME washers, but I wasnt sure that it dialed down on power??? I thought the only adjustable thing was the tip on those?

Just make sure to ALWAYS check your tip though. Im not speaking from experience, just relating what happened to others. Some guy took it to his car and had a nize Zorro Z on the side of it, it was a mid 90's Exploder (spelt correctly LOL) but boy was that funny. I just laughed, what you do with your product in your own hands is your own business.

If you can turn down the pressure and know that its lower, then you should be fine. My friends dad owns a car wash and his wash is set to 1600-1700psi fwiw.