E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Steptronic as a Manual

09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
bredi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Steptronic as a Manual

I'm loving my new d! The only thing is getting used to an auto transmission. Its a first for me. I even keep stepping where the clutch would be out of habit!

1.) I'm driving it in sport mode only. Shifting manually with the "stick" and/or paddle shifters. Just as I would my MT. I'm also downshifting as I would in an MT. Is this an issue? It shifts so much in auto mode anyway. But only up.
I read a few comments about this putting too much wear and tear on the transmission vs brakes. Is an auto designed for downshifting for slowing down?

2.) The car automatically goes to M2 when stopped. Why not M1? In Auto Mode, I assume it goes to M2 at a stop? So, should I just be launching in M2? Unless on a hill?

3.) Where do you normally shift and cruise at a constant speed? In sport auto mode it seems happy at 1900 rpm. I'll put it in auto to see, then back to sport to see the gear. Im always surprised how low the RPM is and how high the gear is.

I'm such an auto noob!

Thanks!
2000' 328ci MT TIAG/Blk/Alum | 1986' 325es MT | 1981' 528i MT
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
YoKev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

One glaring point I felt should be addressed is your question about whether an automatic transmission is 'designed for downshifting to slow down'.
The answer is NO, N-O transmission is designed to be USED to SLOW the car down!
Some transmissions(those in vehicles that haul heavy loads) have trans brakes, but that's not what we're talking about here.
YOUR BRAKES are the ONLY parts/system on your car, that is 'designed to be used to slow the car down'. If you use your manual trans to slow your car down, you're simply wearing out your expensive clutch-and possibly internal VERY EXPENSIVE transmission components, rather than the INEXPENSIVE and EASY TO REPLACE brake pads.
If you use your Steptronic-type transmission to slow your car down, you're risking not only your internal gearing, but also your differential and ring and pinion.
I guess people got the idea that using a manual trans to slow the car was a good idea from watching racing drivers back-shift as they're slowing. You'll also note that they also REV THE ENGINE to match the rpms on the back-shift. This action has absolutely NOTHING to do with slowing the car down. As a matter of fact, if the driver makes a mistake, and doesn't properly match the engine speed on the back-shift, he risks losing control of the car. When slowing down at high speed(s), most of the weight is on the front, thus VERY LITTLE weight is on the rear. If the driver does ANYTHING that aids in the rear tires losing traction(i.e. mis-matching the rpm's upon back-shifting, resulting in the rear tires spinning faster than the rpms can match-OR- USING THE TRANS TO SLOW THE CAR), the back end of the car will remove itself from the control of the driver, resulting in a plethora of possible problems, NONE OF WHICH the driver can do a whole lot about, since he's got to get the car slowed for the corner. His only real option is to let off on the brakes so some weight transfers off the front and onto the rear(and to also get the rears to speed up a little). Problem there is, again, he's got a corner to slow down for, so whichever way you slice it, he's screwed.
Unfortunately I took the very long way of simply stating the fact that your BRAKES are what you use to slow the car down. Your TRANSMISSION is used to simply put the power down in the MOST controllable manner. Racing drivers DON'T use their transmissions to slow their cars down(well...at least when their brakes are working). People mistake them doing that, when in fact they're simply matching the engine speed with the wheel speed, in order to keep the chassis under control as he slips the trans into the proper gear to give him the best drive possible out of the next corner.
I think I just typed my way through Tosh 2.0.
I hate me!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
SpeedyDiesel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredi View Post
2.) The car automatically goes to M2 when stopped. Why not M1? In Auto Mode, I assume it goes to M2 at a stop? So, should I just be launching in M2? Unless on a hill?

3.) Where do you normally shift and cruise at a constant speed? In sport auto mode it seems happy at 1900 rpm. I'll put it in auto to see, then back to sport to see the gear. Im always surprised how low the RPM is and how high the gear is.
I'm such an auto noob!

Thanks!
2) It launches in M2 in auto mode but M1 in Sport mode.

3) Fuel efficiency is the reasoning behind the bold I believe.

Retired: 2010 335d, Monaco Blue with Oyster/Black, Sport, Premium, Nav, Comfort Access
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
From my understanding it launches in M2 due to the torque.
      11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
From my understanding it launches in M2 due to the torque.
My old 325i launched from second gear and it didn't have any torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreez88 View Post
My old 325i launched from second gear and it didn't have any torque.
Clearly the 325 label was wrong
      11-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

My 'd' is also my first automatic - ever. I must say I was surprised to observe
its downshifts as I braked for stop signs, etc. It was rev matching the vehi-
cle speed for me.

Even when I drove a manual, I didn't downshift while braking.

I have not driven in sport mode as my goal is to minimize fuel consumption.
even in regular mode - all that torque!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Downshifting a diesel doesn't get you much in the way of engine braking anyway.

This car needs a jake brake.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0