E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Clutch life, engine/drivetrain wear?

04-28-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
MrWorf
Today is a good day to drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i Convertible

Question Clutch life, engine/drivetrain wear?

This is going to be a rant, solely based on my personal experience. Flame one! :rocks:

After spending alot of time on this forum and bimmerforums, bimmerfest since I ordered my 335i, I've gotten the feeling that there is alot of strange ideas about how a manual driven car works.

Especially when it comes to engine and clutch usage...

If I were to believe these forums, I should avoid using my clutch and for gods sake, don't use engine braking (also, try avoid taking the rpms to the red line). Your engine may be worn out waaaay before I get to 1200miles.

I don't know why these misconceptions exists. Maybe some people have had some bad experiences (novice manual drivers, bad clutch, whatever) but (and now I'm probably gonna sound like an arse ) these conceptions are all WRONG

I've driven my T5 for 5 years now. Five HARD years. No tracking but probably one too many stoplight runs and stupid slipping of the clutch. Oh, and I broke it in way too early. And this is with a car that has 250hp, 300Nm (221 lb/ft).

And you know what? My engine works just fine. No cylinders falling off, the clutch is still as good/sharp as it was and no weird sounds/rattling from the drive train.

My point is, they are built to handle it. I don't know of any friends/family/relatives who needed to change their clutch.

Of course, this doesn't say that it doesn't wear out (I guess tracking the car would put a lot more strain on the parts) but it does not wear out at the rate one would expect from reading this (or other) forums.

Come to think of it, that's one of the main differences when reading a AT biased forum and a MT biased forum. These question are almost never asked/discussed on the MT biased forums. Why? Because of what I wrote above.

(time to grab the flame suite)
      04-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #2
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

Perception or Reality?

...the most passionate BMW heads visit and post here.

When you sign in, you sign into this mindset (e-Embodiment of the Brand Identity). So it might be waxing blowhards...or you may find useful info (I have).

It's like a pub and we are all in varying states of intoxication on the BMW elixer.

Now, I'm going to drive my car...and if it blows up, I'll buy another damnit!:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

All I know is that my BMW came with a 4 yr./50K of full maintenance so I'm driving it like I stole it until that's over. If something breaks, I'll bring it in and get it fixed.
Appreciate 0