E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > To those having Fuel Pump Failures:

04-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

To those having Fuel Pump Failures:

I have read many posts so far about these fuel pump failures and just have a question for those who have been experiencing these failures:
For one, I hope that everyone knows, specifically in electronic fuel injection cars that premature fuel pump failure can occur by allowing the fuel level to get to below ¼ (just to be safe) tank and below for extended periods or running completely out of fuel. Running out of fuel allows the electric fuel pump to run "dry" which nearly immediately ruins the pump.Your fuel pump relies on fuel passing through it for lubrication and cooling. Consequently, fuel starvation can be a factor that accelerates wear and may even cause pump damage under certain operating conditions>> For those of you with the failures, are you running your 335s low on gas and only filling up when you get low? I'm not saying this is the problem, but its cretainly a possiblity.I’ve also heard of electric fuel pump failures caused by faulty ignition modules, which by reading about the long engine starts and rough idling on the 335is with FP failure, this may very well be the problem. This is a brand new engine, and I'm sure BMW, with time, will have this problem completly fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

This was one of the earlier theories, but some of the members with faulty pumps were no where near empty on the tank. I, myself, fill my tank at half way empty...it's always been something I do with all my car. I also fill up from the same gas station unless I'm in other counties.

After 2 months of owning the car, and 3000 miles, I also pick up that sometimes, it takes longer to start the car. I'm crossing my fingers that they replenish the fuel pumps by the time mine goes out.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post
This was one of the earlier theories, but some of the members with faulty pumps were no where near empty on the tank. I, myself, fill my tank at half way empty...it's always been something I do with all my car. I also fill up from the same gas station unless I'm in other counties.

After 2 months of owning the car, and 3000 miles, I also pick up that sometimes, it takes longer to start the car. I'm crossing my fingers that they replenish the fuel pumps by the time mine goes out.

What brand of gas do you usually fill up with? Just throwing a guess out there but I know for one some early electronic fuel injection versions incorporated plastic fuel tank liners to dampen fuel pump noise. Unfortunately, fuel additives disintegrated these liners and the particulate matter would clog the fuel pump inlet filter. Call me superstitious but Youll never find me filluing up at BP, with all the corn oil and shit or god knows what they put in their fuel
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I always fill up with Mobil. In Cali, we don't have 93 anymore, so highest is now 91. I always use Mobil, and when I absolutely need to fill up and there is no Mobil in site, I go with Shell.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
DirtBag335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I have never let my gas get below a quarter tank. My fuel pump went out with a little over a half tank of gas in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Well, I don't know if gas ( petrol ) will help much related to lubrication. Even diesel as of today is no more lubricating, compared to the days when we did not care about emissions at all ( which was not a great idea ). Diesel even doesn't smell like diesel since a couple of years.

In modern BMW diesels the pump for the 2nd gereration common rail has to build up pressures up to 1.600 bar. 8 times more than the current 335i fuel pump.

Also the diesel pumps failed, and what some guys did to avoid the problem, they gave the diesel back what has been extracted before: some oil.

I also did and added 1:250 two stroke ( motorbike ) oil to the diesel. The engine ( a brand new, high-tech 3.0 BMW diesel ) ran smoother and I never had any issue with the pump or the engine ( chipped ).

I am not an automotive technican so I'd like to raise the question:

Would anything be wrong by adding 2-stroke oil ( 1:250 ) to the gas at the fuel station ? In diesels, it keeps the injectors clean and lubricates the fuel-pump. In motorbikes it does a great job. Are there any downsides feasible on the 335i ?

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers
Eugen

Last edited by e.n335; 04-28-2007 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

its not a clog, its not bad gas, its not letting it "run empty"...

the whole problem is that the pumps that die are FAULTY... period.

You cant do anything to not make it fail... if you have a faulty pump, it will fail... things might speed that up, but everyones has failed before 7k miles.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post

You cant do anything to not make it fail... if you have a faulty pump, it will fail... things might speed that up, but everyones has failed before 7k miles.
Exactly, if BMW thought that this was being caused by anything other than a faulty part (i.e BMW initial repsonse to the M3's Engine of Damocles) they would be taking a different approach then immediately fixing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:

Yes, I agree, but try to think about the question ...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

WTF?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
I have read many posts so far about these fuel pump failures and just have a question for those who have been experiencing these failures:
For one, I hope that everyone knows, specifically in electronic fuel injection cars that premature fuel pump failure can occur by allowing the fuel level to get to below ¼ (just to be safe) tank and below for extended periods or running completely out of fuel. Running out of fuel .......
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
e.n335
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsarge View Post
Exactly, if BMW thought that this was being caused by anything other than a faulty part (i.e BMW initial repsonse to the M3's Engine of Damocles) they would be taking a different approach then immediately fixing it.
It's hard to discuss with you
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
sstarch1
From Russia With Boost
Rep
Drives: E92 335i - Vroom

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
For one, I hope that everyone knows, specifically in electronic fuel injection cars that premature fuel pump failure can occur by allowing the fuel level to get to below ¼ (just to be safe) tank and below for extended periods or running completely out of fuel. Running out of fuel allows the electric fuel pump to run "dry" which nearly immediately ruins the pump.Your fuel pump relies on fuel passing through it for lubrication and cooling. Consequently, fuel starvation can be a factor that accelerates wear and may even cause pump damage under certain operating conditions>> For those of you with the failures, are you running your 335s low on gas and only filling up when you get low? I'm not saying this is the problem, but its cretainly a possiblity.I’ve also heard of electric fuel pump failures caused by faulty ignition modules, which by reading about the long engine starts and rough idling on the 335is with FP failure, this may very well be the problem. This is a brand new engine, and I'm sure BMW, with time, will have this problem completly fixed.
Who cares?

There is no "Warning" in the owners manual about making sure you fill up your tank before 1/4 full....

And if you're saying that these fuel pumps are failing because of low amounts of fuel in the tank, then thats even MORE fucked up than just realizing that the fuel pump is defective in the first place, for whatever reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Quote:

+1

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Move.Over
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
For one, I hope that everyone knows, specifically in electronic fuel injection cars that premature fuel pump failure can occur by allowing the fuel level to get to below ¼ (just to be safe) tank and below for extended periods or running completely out of fuel. Running out of fuel allows the electric fuel pump to run "dry" which nearly immediately ruins the pump.Your fuel pump relies on fuel passing through it for lubrication and cooling. Consequently, fuel starvation can be a factor that accelerates wear and may even cause pump damage under certain operating conditions>> =.
Two different fuel pumps, the one you are talking about is the one in the fuel tank and it can overheat if you have only a little bit of gas, happened frequently to 2003 VW Passat's.
The fuel pump that fails in our car is the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injection. A total new design for our friends at VDO Siemens. It is the first Piezo direct injection gasoline engine ever made. Piezo's have been used on diesels before. That is why there are no alternative suppliers for this fuel pump, contrary to the rumors on this board.
http://usa.siemensvdo.com/press/rele...20070110_e.htm