E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > waterspotting with zaino z5?

09-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

waterspotting with zaino z5?

this stuff beads like crazy, but i get horrible horrible water spotting that simply won't wash away. i've read about similar issues with this stuff on the autopia forums as well.

anyone else share the same experience on a jet black car? the theory is that when washing with regular wax, layers are gradually removed, which is why the etching from water seems to wash away, whereas with the zaino, it actually etches into z5 and stays there.

i don't know.. either way, it's a real b*tch to maintain on jet black.

i love the gloss it gives, but man... i just can't take the spotting.

i'm debating buying that swisswax since (judging from photos) it gives a similar look to zaino products.

what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

jumping from no wax to swisswax is quite a move, i've never been able to justify spending >$200 on wax. Maybe give blackfire wet diamond a go? I found rain spots rinse right off with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
jumping from no wax to swisswax is quite a move, i've never been able to justify spending >$200 on wax. Maybe give blackfire wet diamond a go? I found rain spots rinse right off with it.
i know swissvax is probably way past the point of diminishing returns, but i feel as though if i'm going to be trying a bunch of different waxes to arrive at what i want, i probably am going to end up spending around $100 anyway.

i believe their onyx (cheapest one) is $119. it is out of stock though, so that gives me some time to rethink my decision. although their website says it is not suitable for winter protection, so i wouldn't be needing it any time soon either.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
i know swissvax is probably way past the point of diminishing returns, but i feel as though if i'm going to be trying a bunch of different waxes to arrive at what i want, i probably am going to end up spending around $100 anyway.

i believe their onyx (cheapest one) is $119. it is out of stock though, so that gives me some time to rethink my decision. although their website says it is not suitable for winter protection, so i wouldn't be needing it any time soon either.
detailersdomain.com has the onyx in stock, but if you're worried about water spots getting their least durable wax doesn't really feel like the right move.

Another option is picking up a sample of dodo juice supernatural, it's only $30 for the sample http://www.detailedimage.com/Dodo-Ju.../200-ml-v2-S3/ so you can give it a go before you dive in so to speak. I've used it and it is a phenomenal wax.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
tofu-
Banned
Rep

awesome suggestions, dday. supernatural v2 seems to be on par with swissvax "best of show" according to what i'm reading. it may not last as long or be as easy to put on, but it seems comparable otherwise.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

give BFWD a try man. i have and i LOVE it
      09-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
tofu-
Banned
Rep

layering supernatural over bfwd seems to be pretty common
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
awesome suggestions, dday. supernatural v2 seems to be on par with swissvax "best of show" according to what i'm reading. it may not last as long or be as easy to put on, but it seems comparable otherwise.

thanks
Supernatural isn't that hard to work with, thin is key though. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

JB is just really hard. I use BFWD and still get waterspots. I will buff again when they weather cools down.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
JB is just really hard. I use BFWD and still get waterspots. I will buff again when they weather cools down.
Everyone gets water spots, they are unavoidable if you park outside, it just comes down to how easily they are removed. I find a normal wash removes any water spots when using BFWD.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Everyone gets water spots, they are unavoidable if you park outside, it just comes down to how easily they are removed. I find a normal wash removes any water spots when using BFWD.
yeah that's exactly what i'm looking for. honestly if i just have to rewax once every month or two, that's fine. i just didn't want something that requires weekly maintenance or something

i think i'm going to layer the supernatural on top of bfwd for added protection. i think the rain over here must be acidic for it to be eating through my zaino like this. some spots were so bad that even p203s on a white pad didn't take them out fully. i don't think any wax or sealant would have protected against that, but even just the calcium deposits seem to never wash off on the zaino.

aside from that, this supernatural stuff looks amazing in photos. must look 10x better in person
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah that's exactly what i'm looking for. honestly if i just have to rewax once every month or two, that's fine. i just didn't want something that requires weekly maintenance or something

i think i'm going to layer the supernatural on top of bfwd for added protection. i think the rain over here must be acidic for it to be eating through my zaino like this. some spots were so bad that even p203s on a white pad didn't take them out fully. i don't think any wax or sealant would have protected against that, but even just the calcium deposits seem to never wash off on the zaino.

aside from that, this supernatural stuff looks amazing in photos. must look 10x better in person
if you're getting visible deposits like that on your paint then you def have a somewhat unique situation. Is there some other water source that's getting on your car? For example a sprinkler system?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #13
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
if you're getting visible deposits like that on your paint then you def have a somewhat unique situation. Is there some other water source that's getting on your car? For example a sprinkler system?
definitely not. it is 100% rain. hell, even if it was faucet water, i could hose down my car and the deposits come right off next time i wash, as opposed to the raindrops

it is not uncommon for people using z5. there are a handful of threads about it on other detailing forums.

very disappointing because z5 beads forever and gives the shine i want.

but the photos i have seen show that supernatural looks way better than z5 (in terms of depth) on black paint, i must admit.

edit: photo of what my block looks like attached
Attached Images

Last edited by tofu-; 09-16-2011 at 06:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Do you finish off with at least a layer(or two even) of Z-2? If not you should consider it. I think Z-2 offers more protection and durability than z-5. I've actually pretty much removed Z-5 from my detail process...as I use a real swirl remover, rather than just hiding it.

I've been using Zaino products pretty much exclusively for the past 10-15yrs. Never really had a problem with water spotting. The only time I worry about water spots is when it rains and then the sun comes out before it's dried off.....that'll def etch a bit. But a normal wash will usually take care of that and any stubborn spots are removed with a wipe down of Z-8. Lately I've been doing a wipe down with Z-8 after every wash. Seems to really help in keeping the surface slick and extending the life of z2
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdfanatic View Post
Do you finish off with at least a layer(or two even) of Z-2? If not you should consider it. I think Z-2 offers more protection and durability than z-5. I've actually pretty much removed Z-5 from my detail process...as I use a real swirl remover, rather than just hiding it.

I've been using Zaino products pretty much exclusively for the past 10-15yrs. Never really had a problem with water spotting. The only time I worry about water spots is when it rains and then the sun comes out before it's dried off.....that'll def etch a bit. But a normal wash will usually take care of that and any stubborn spots are removed with a wipe down of Z-8. Lately I've been doing a wipe down with Z-8 after every wash. Seems to really help in keeping the surface slick and extending the life of z2
i haven't considered z2. i was under the impression that it was for white (and other lighter) cars. i do have z-cs and never actually considered trying to layer with that. i figured it would be redundant.

the fillers in z5 help me out with micro marring. my car is not garaged, so even when i try really hard, i can't always keep it perfect; have to cheat sometimes

usually a quickie with po85rd 2-3 times a year cleans everything right up except for those water spots on the horizontal panels.

i ordered the supernatural last night, and i may layer it over the z5. it didn't make much sense to me to buy bfwd since it is essentially the same kind of sealant as z5, but less longevity and gloss (subjective). bfwd seems to have quicker sheeting, but i'd be laying the carnuaba on top of it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:

i ordered the supernatural last night, and i may layer it over the z5. it didn't make much sense to me to buy bfwd since it is essentially the same kind of sealant as z5, but less longevity and gloss (subjective). bfwd seems to have quicker sheeting, but i'd be laying the carnuaba on top of it anyway.
Def post up pics/thoughts after you give the Supernatural a go.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

the problem with zaino is that it looks awesome but doesnt provide any protection so switching to another product will def see a difference in protection

since your problem is waterspotting wat u want is a product that doesnt bead but sheets slowly to remove as much water as possible from the surface.

but the best bet is to wash your car often
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
tofu-
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
the problem with zaino is that it looks awesome but doesnt provide any protection so switching to another product will def see a difference in protection

since your problem is waterspotting wat u want is a product that doesnt bead but sheets slowly to remove as much water as possible from the surface.

but the best bet is to wash your car often
i agree.. zaino seems to actually hold the beads on the car.

as for washing more often. i wash once a week... can't do it much more often than that lol
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
tofu-
Banned
Rep

hey guys, quick update on the supernatural

i haven't taken photos because 1/4th of my car isn't properly prepped, but i don't mind using this stuff liberally (wasting) because a little goes such a long way!

car sat with week old rain spots, baked on in the sun, and they slid right off once i washed. this supernatural is amazing!

it also does an awesome job filling in minor swirls/scratches and making the paint look PERFECT with only one layer. i put on a second layer on my swirl marks and marring virtually disappear under direct sunlight. this is perfect for my non-garaged jet black car.

i love it.

well worth the $
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #20
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
hey guys, quick update on the supernatural

i haven't taken photos because 1/4th of my car isn't properly prepped, but i don't mind using this stuff liberally (wasting) because a little goes such a long way!

car sat with week old rain spots, baked on in the sun, and they slid right off once i washed. this supernatural is amazing!

it also does an awesome job filling in minor swirls/scratches and making the paint look PERFECT with only one layer. i put on a second layer on my swirl marks and marring virtually disappear under direct sunlight. this is perfect for my non-garaged jet black car.

i love it.

well worth the $
glad it worked out for you and thin thin thin is the key with this wax which it sounds like you figured out. the sample pot will do multiple cars worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

You may want to try Blue Velvet from Dodo as a sample size next, considerably cheaper and looks pretty good,It's one of the ones I layer with over BFWD on my dark colored cars. Just a thought in trying to find the right combo. All modern products adhere to the thin is in process.
Appreciate 0