E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

04-26-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
canpend
Rep
Drives: Honda

Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

So there will be a 1 series coupe? Great, now what's next? an X1? A minivan?

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

And yes... I am ready for the flames... Just my opinion. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

BMW began it's reputation for sporty driver's coupe with the 2002 in the 70's, and the 1 series coupe will be a reincarnation of that. BMW is just going back to it's roots, if you haven't noticed the 3 series has gone way upscale and more luxurious since the E30...
      04-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
thekewl1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

its a nice little car, i wouldn't buy it though. I guess bmw wants something to compete with audi's A3. I was tailed by a 130d in Italy doing about 150mph on the highway. didn't know what it was at first until he got right up to my ass. All in all though, i do agree that they shouldn't make that car, but in fairness to bmw, they are in the market to sell cars and make money, no sense in letting the competition have all the fun.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Blah Blah Blah, Not enough thought put into this for it to really qualify as an opinion...

Market Determines Product... Not the other way around...

That being said though BMW has a History of NOT whoring itself out... That's Mercedes Job...
      04-26-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
De90man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sedan

BMW cannot build enough Mini Coopers...they've sold twice as many Minis as predicted...and in the US no less. Not saying it'll be a hit here, but I can see a business case for it.

And...Clarkson forgets...1 Series is closer to the original size, strategy, execution and weight of the BMWs of yore that started it all. The 3 weighs 3600lbs+. That's how much a 5 used to weigh a few iterations back.

As for diluting the brand, I don't think Americans will buy much needed smaller cars lest there be a luxury badge on the back (I know, the merc hatchback thing...but that car was complete rubbish).

Will badge snobs and the 'coolerati' start a small car revolution? They all ready have (<-Mini).
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #6
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
If they build a 135i, i will buy one. Tune one of those, and you could have a serious M3 killer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #7
Daneel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It's very old

There are two ways at looking at this. Unfortunately, the OP seems to be one of those people (and most BMW buyers are in this category) who see BMW as a status symbol, rather than as a performance car. Theoretically, the 1 series is a drive back to BMW's roots of producing a sporty, compact, car with rwd and solid performance.

Unfortunately, the 1 series is not much lighter than the 3 (from what I remember), and therefore, it probably is not as much as a 'return to roots' type thing as people are hoping. This is where the OP is correct; BMW will probably be able to sell lots of 1ers to the yuppie crowd or just-out-of-college-with-a-good-job crowd.

To the OP: I don't see how the 1er would dilute the brand. Do you not think that 6 series owners think the same about the 3er? "Oh, here come these pricks in their entry level 3 series, blah blah blah, with their shiny roundel". The OP seems to be whining that his roundel will now be affordable to people who make less money than he does, yet he does not realize that he is right in the sense that the 1 series is an effort to sell more BMWs, and not an effort to return to the company's roots.

Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

i agree with OP. bmw's history is in standing different from the crowd and focusing on the high-end market. the have one company and very few branches.
      04-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #9
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by canpend View Post

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge. BMW used to be EXCLUSIVE. With this nice looking coupe the streets will be filled with showoffs driving their "BMW" with the shiny badge in the hood.
not that i would buy one (they are not my taste), but the 1 series does have it's place in teh market, up agaist cars such as the A3, Merc "Sports Coupe" etc...

one could argue that 3 series too are lowering the class of the BMW brand, as the cars BMW used to produce were only attainable by the very wealthy. In Australia, BMW is a high end brand, often costing more then what most people afford in america i understand that BMW cars (taking into account the exchange rate), cost just over half what we pay for them!

But like i said before, the 1 series has it's place in teh market, just like the 3 seires
      04-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #10
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Think of it this way, with the 1 series, 3 series is no longer an entry level car and if you afraid that the streets will be filled with BMW, then save up and get a Ferrari instead!

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 02:49 AM   #11
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
Think of it this way, with the 1 series, 3 series is no longer an entry level car and if you afraid that the streets will be filled with BMW, then save up and get a Ferrari instead!
ferrari? ... i wish... i should be heaing "ca ching" in my pocket, but instead all i hear is............... nothing

ferrari... my dream car
      04-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #12
chbrules
MSVConrad++
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i | E92 2007 335i

I'll agree with the above posts. Anyone with something nicer will always look down on people trying to get up where they are with lesser things, forgetting in the long run that they themselves probably struggled the same way.

I love my BMW, and it's nice to see in the area where I live (Long Beach) that not everyone has a new BMW. 99% of the reason I bought the BMW was for the quality, handling, and performance, the other 1% was because of the status.

In fact, I rarely see anyone around here with a new BMW, let alone a couple people with older generations. So the fact of it being a status symbol feels kinda nice. It makes me feel a little more unique knowing I have something that most don't around here. Then again, I go down to Orange County and every 16 y/o girl has a 325i from their daddy.

The more you pay for a car, the less likely there will be many of them on the road. M series? Ferrari? Lambo? Nice cars, few can buy, eye catching.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:20 AM   #13
///M_owns_you
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:

Yes, many people will be very happy about this. If ferrari were to launch a $40,000 USD coupe many people would be happy and it would sell very well, financially in the short term sounds great.

The 3 series is already cheap enough for being a BMW. As every year goes by it seems like BMW is just being more greedy by going to the mass market and lowering the quality of their cars(look at the many problems in the new 3 series).

For once I have to agree with Clarkson on this, I don't know what on earth is BMW thinking lately.

And yes... I am ready for the flames... Just my opinion. What do you think?
100% agree with you times 10 dude. NOT DOWN FOR THE CHEAP SHIT. KEEP BMW A BMW AND NOT SOME AFFORDABLE BY EVERYONE BRAND/CAR COMPANY
Black Sapphire 335i coupe/Saddle Brown leather/Aluminum trim-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Navigation, PDC, Paddle shifters,Vishnu PROcede awaits, 20" iForged Essen, H&R springs, Milltek cat-back exhaust,side markers painted, 25% tint, V1 hardwired
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 05:57 AM   #14
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Hmm. I guess i'm fine with it, the 1 series already exists, it's just being sent to the US now right? I think an entry level point below the 3 series is a good thing, more chances for people to enter the brand and find out what the BMW experience is all about, and earlier also. The 3 series is getting heavier, and more expensive every year. I can see why BMW would want to bring the 1er over here. It's not like they're going to leave thier standards at the door because its "only a 1". If anything they will be the more reliable series as all the new stuff will be premiered in 7s' 5's, X5's etc.. by the time it works itself to them it should be rock solid reliable, or they won't add it to the 1er at all.

From what I hear about pricing, they're not exactly giving it away either.

Of course it's about making money, but it's also about creating brand loyalty and maintaining the BMW image. How many people will drive thier 1 or thier friends 1er and go, if this is what the 1 is like, I wonder what a 3er is like... the same way we go, if this is what a 325 is, I wonder what an M3/5/7etc .. is like? The more dollars going to the salaries of the engineers in Munich that keep BMW's a BMW, plus keeps BMW as a leader who is copied more than they copy, the better in my opinion.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_owns_you View Post
100% agree with you times 10 dude. NOT DOWN FOR THE CHEAP SHIT. KEEP BMW A BMW AND NOT SOME AFFORDABLE BY EVERYONE BRAND/CAR COMPANY
Yes many of you don't want bmw's to become the next civic or something where just about everyone has one. I doubt bmw will do such a thing, even if they release a 1 series...the price will probably be proportionate to their other models.

The 3 series has become more advanced, poweful and ...expensive. You can't tell me they are cheaper and becoming more affordable, i'm one of the "just out of college with a good job +1 year now" and spent roughly 50k for a 335xi. If bmw's aren't becoming more exclusive...

If you want to feel better than everyone else then driving a bmw isn't the answer...get your ferrari or something. If you were able to afford that, I bet ferrari owners might get upset that their cars are getting cheaper...heh, its all relative.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_owns_you View Post
Cheap shit? Be nice dude. What if a person who drives M6 pull up to you and say "your 335 is a cheap shit car"? I bet you don't like to hear that, don't you?

If you can afford M6, would you still be driving your 3er?

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The 1 series should not even exist, it just degrades the BMW badge.
Absolute BS

1 Series is a great BMW
      04-26-2007, 07:06 AM   #18
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
Cheap shit? Be nice dude. What if a person who drives M6 pull up to you and say "your 335 is a cheap shit car"? I bet you don't like to hear that, don't you?

If you can afford M6, would you still be driving your 3er?
I can, and I drive a E90 325i daily to work

gas mileage is good, is comfortable, makes a great highway cruiser and city driver.... and most of it all it keeps me entertained
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #19
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

I suggest one holds their opinion until they have actually been in a 1 Series and know what they are talking about
      04-26-2007, 07:12 AM   #20
Raider
Panties Sniffer
Rep
Drives: Stealthy 335Ci

The 1 series will be like a Mercedes Benz C230 model...sub $30K car looks/drives like ass..

And some fool who can make 10 bucks an hour can finance one and thinks hes the shit...i agree about exclusivity
      04-26-2007, 07:15 AM   #21
misterng
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
I can, and I drive a E90 325i daily to work

gas mileage is good, is comfortable, makes a great highway cruiser and city driver.... and most of it all it keeps me entertained
good for you!

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
i agree with OP. bmw's history is in standing different from the crowd and focusing on the high-end market. the have one company and very few branches.
Really? I guess you are not familiar with these:

In the post-war era BMW has consistently offered models at both ends of the market. The Isetta was sold side by side with the legendary 507 and the 1500 shared the showroom floor with the mighty 3.0CSL.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0