E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > First Full Detail - eg Fixing dealer prep

09-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
SteveH
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thumbs up First Full Detail - eg Fixing dealer prep

Gents,
Took delivery of my 335i about two months ago; but travel has kept me away from it. I've thankfully had a couple of days to go through and fix what needed to be done (unfortunately the car was on the lot when I bought it). The car had the usual adhesive and cosmoline all over, as well as some water spots and what looked like slight etching from birds.

Exterior Products
CG's Citrus Wash
Sonax Full Effect
Optimum No Rinse Wash n Shine
DI's Gentle Fine Clay Bar
Dodo Born Slippery
Menzerna SF4500
CG's EZ-Creme Glaze
BFWD Sealant
Dodo Supernatural Wax
Dodo Tropical Mist
303 Aerospace Protectant
Klasse AIO
PB's Wheel Sealant

Interior Products
Leatherique Prestige Cleaner
303 Aerospace Protectant
Einzsett 1Z Cockpit
Einzsett Gummi Pfledge
Klass AIO

So kinda pointless to provide before pics...As the car was clean, but there were defects which annoyed me....So off to work !

Wash and foam bath

Taped up and ready for a polish

At this point, I also removed the wheels and cleaned well...Then applied a thin coat of PB's wheel sealant. While the wheels were off, I washed the suspension and wheel wells with ONR, and protected with some 303 protectant.

Now for the bad news. The next day I got into the groove; and totally forgot to take 'in progress' pics. My bad.

I really wasn't pulling up much with the clay bar, but the paint was already feeling a little smoother. There were some some spots on the hood where the finish looked a little rough.
I loaded up my PC7424 with a white pad and went to work with the Menzerna 4500. Easy to put on and off; and really made a hell of a difference. Totally eliminated those rough looking areas, and brought out the metallic in the paint more than ever. Next I put on the CG Creme Glaze with a black pad. To be honest I really didn't see much difference in before/after....But at this point I was getting tired so called it a night.
In the morning I gave the car a quick wipe down and went ahead putting the BFWD down with a blue pad. Wow does a little go a long way ! Also left the finish super super slick. Unfortunately at this point the car sat for 2 weeks while I was out of the country.
Upon coming back, I put a coat of Supernatural. I admit I was quite skeptical - after all we're talking over $150 for wax
However, I am now a believer. It looks like I was able to dip the car in glass. While that was curing, I used the Klasse AIO on the windows and exhaust. After removing the wax, I removed any last residue and gave the car a wipedown with the Tropical mist. Again, another product that will remain in my kit - really worth the money.
On the inside, I first started with a good vacuum and then applying the Leatherique on all leather surfaces. While that was sitting I used the Gummi Pfledge on all the interior/exterior rubber, and the 1Z Cockpit on all the plastic surfaces. This is good stuff, and easily removed any Leatherique that I accidentally got where it shouldn't be. I then used the Klasse AIO on the wood trim, and the 303 protectant on everything else.

It was really difficult to get good photos. The car is too much like a mirror

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
SteveH
Private
Rep

Here are some detail photos. If anyone has suggestions on how I can get better paint finish quality photos, please let me know !

And just tons and tons of metallic...Supernatural really brought this out !

After seeing all the colors of metallic flake in the paint, I now understand how they got the name 'Black Sapphire Metallic'. What's also interesting is the car looks more grey in color at most angles...

Just two interior shots:

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
SteveH
Private
Rep

One more comment - or more of a question. Anyone have enough balls yet to do a total wetsand on BSM ? While Im more than happy with the outcome of what I've done, I'd just be curious to see how the paint looks once the orange peel of has been corrected.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
nygiants007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

amazing job with the detail man. Your car looks so sick
2006 e90 325i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
looks good
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Great work!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

great job. One quick thing though, I love Red Mist tropical as well but it's heavy on solvents, from what I've read you don't want to use it on a fresh coat of wax as it can actual remove some of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
mikenap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3(sold) :(

Nice work! That's a beautiful car, too. Congrats.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Damn..how come my black sapphire never looked that shiny?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
SteveH
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
great job. One quick thing though, I love Red Mist tropical as well but it's heavy on solvents, from what I've read you don't want to use it on a fresh coat of wax as it can actual remove some of it.
This IS interesting. Let me send some emails about this and I'll report back
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
SteveH
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the compliments - I couldn't have done it without all the help from the board!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Awesome work man that paint looks amazing. I'm thrilled the detail went so well for you! As always if you have any questions or need any other recommendations don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
One more comment - or more of a question. Anyone have enough balls yet to do a total wetsand on BSM ? While Im more than happy with the outcome of what I've done, I'd just be curious to see how the paint looks once the orange peel of has been corrected.
Check out this article to see what options you may have available to you - http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-cable-7424xp/. Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
SteveH
Private
Rep

Greg -
Thanks for the info on wetsanding.....I don't have the balls, time, or money for it..more was a rhetorical question...hehehe

That said - Im also posting your answer to my email re: Tropical Mist -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg from DI
Waiting 24hrs after the Supernatural application will ensure it's fully cured so using the Red Mist after that time frame should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Steve,

First and foremost, congrat's on the new car! I love to see enthusiasts take care of their babies and keep them looking fresh. I also thoroughly enjoyed your post which was filled with accurate descriptions of all the work you poured into your baby. I hope you'll take my comments as constructive feedback as trying to help (you and others) for future detailing work.

Claying new / newer cars and well kept cars is important to do. Steve pointed out that while his paint didn't feel horrible, it was surely smoother after claying. This is something I notice quite often anytime I'm working on a new car or well-kept vehicle: while it might not suffer heavy contamination, it does have SOME contamination in the clear-coat that won't simply go away with a thorough wash.

Another thing that I liked was you performed a lot of work on this pretty young lady, but finished on another date. I feel too many people want to get everything done in one day or one weekend. The problem with doing so is that you're not giving yourself a lot of time to reflect on what you learned, and you're making detailing more of a chore than a pleasurable experience. Anytime you can split things up; the better IMO.

Fellow hardcore e90post member DDay hit on one thing I caught right away: using Red Mist Tropical Edition directly after Supernatural. I'd also recommend you wait: especially with a finicky wax like Supernatural. It's no secret I love that wax as well, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an ugly side...
While it was actually a GREAT thing that you waited a week to apply it after using Blackfire on your paint (you'll get better clarity and less streaking this way), I wouldn't recommend using ANYTHING over Supernatural for at least 24 hours, but preferably 72 hours. So next time you apply a coat of Supernatural, wait until your next maintenance wash to use Red Mist Tropical, and I think you'll enjoy it.

I love how much flake pop you're getting: metallic cars look completely different when they're properly kept. The dark areas look darker and the lighter areas look lighter. Very impressive to see in person, and I guarantee you'll never see another Sapphire e90 series that looks like yours!!

Lastly, I heard a rumor somewhere that someone has wet-sanded and polished out a darker colored e90 series BMW. Seems its an e92 M3 in Jerez Black.

I also heard photographers hate it because EVERYTHING reflects in the picture, to include the photographer himself/herself

Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
SteveH
Private
Rep

Marc -
Thanks for the comments and feedback. I gleaned a lot of details out of your posts and applied them....I greatly appreciate all the information you've provided !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Did you use a pressure washer/foam cannon with that, or just a foam gun?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Did you use a pressure washer/foam cannon with that, or just a foam gun?
Thats a foam cannon
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #18
SteveH
Private
Rep

Yep - PW and foam cannon. I need to take better pics and videos of it in action...It was the one which was discussed on here from ebay. Totally worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
EngineCo52
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Montego 328xi CPE

looks great...cool pics to!!

E9x Picture Game-8 Points-Roundabout, Something Remarkable(stack of 50 g's), Cruise Memorabilia, Dirt Road w/ Trees, Michael Jackson, Police Station ,Dress-Up Funny, TPMS
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #20
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep - PW and foam cannon. I need to take better pics and videos of it in action...It was the one which was discussed on here from ebay. Totally worth the cost.
Which PW did you use if you don't mind me asking? The foam cannon wouldn't happen to be this, http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F...6540698&sr=8-2, would it?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #21
SteveH
Private
Rep

Yep - it sure looks like that one. I got mine off of ebay; but it sure looks the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #22
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep - it sure looks like that one. I got mine off of ebay; but it sure looks the same.
Electric PW? PSI?
Appreciate 0