E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Yet another Procede review, from someone who was at the Albany day

04-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Yet another Procede review, from someone who was at the Albany day

Hi guys,

now that I'm a bit less busy I think the time has come for me to write my procede review:

Fist off let me say that it was a pleasure meeting everyone at Redline and that Tony and Shiv are great guys to work with or rather they're great guys to watch working.

regarding the procede: my graph is the one that went from 280 to 325 hp and put down approx. 385 lb-ft of torque on the dyno.

First off let's get rid of the not so good part: I was initially slightly dissapointed with the perf increase (initially being the key word here) even though I could feel the difference, after all I had read, I thought it would be more noticeable.

Now the good part: As I pushed the car more and more on the way home the difference became more and more noticeable, I know it's not in my head since the difference is pretty obvious and because the ecu really does adapt (btw i'm running 94 oct top tier gaz) since on my first dyno run with procede I got 311 hp and on the second one I got 325 (with no changes done in between the two runs). Now that the ecu has adapted the car really feels much stronger, even though the procede is very smooth the power delivery is NOT as linear as stock and the turbo lag is more noticeable BUT the car becomes much more fun to drive because at around 2.8K RPM and 4.2K RPM you feel the torque kicking in and pushing you to the back of your seat. I was driving on the highway this morning and floored it in 4th gear at 75mph and the dsc still kicked in because of the huge amount of torque. My dad drove the car part of the way home and he said that in 6th gear it got from 75 to 100 mph faster than his M6 in 7th gear (smg). And we reached the electronically limited speed (240 km/h) in a breeze.

So i would say that the procede is the ideal solution for anyone who wants noticeably more power, a sportier and more fun ride but who is willing to live with a slightly less linear response from the engine and slightly more turbo lag. It's an incredible bang for the buck mod and would definetily recommend it to everyone. On the other hand if you really wanna get the most out of it make sure you let the ECU adapt (which might take a couple of hundred miles) before making your final verdict and don't have crazy expectations (NO your car will not become an M5/M6 killer).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barat View Post
Hi guys,

now that I'm a bit less busy I think the time has come for me to write my procede review:

Fist off let me say that it was a pleasure meeting everyone at Redline and that Tony and Shiv are great guys to work with or rather they're great guys to watch working.

regarding the procede: my graph is the one that went from 280 to 325 hp and put down approx. 385 lb-ft of torque on the dyno.

First off let's get rid of the not so good part: I was initially slightly dissapointed with the perf increase (initially being the key word here) even though I could feel the difference, after all I had read, I thought it would be more noticeable.

Now the good part: As I pushed the car more and more on the way home the difference became more and more noticeable, I know it's not in my head since the difference is pretty obvious and because the ecu really does adapt (btw i'm running 94 oct top tier gaz) since on my first dyno run with procede I got 311 hp and on the second one I got 325 (with no changes done in between the two runs). Now that the ecu has adapted the car really feels much stronger, even though the procede is very smooth the power delivery is NOT as linear as stock and the turbo lag is more noticeable BUT the car becomes much more fun to drive because at around 2.8K RPM and 4.2K RPM you feel the torque kicking in and pushing you to the back of your seat. I was driving on the highway this morning and floored it in 4th gear at 75mph and the dsc still kicked in because of the huge amount of torque. My dad drove the car part of the way home and he said that in 6th gear it got from 75 to 100 mph faster than his M6 in 7th gear (smg). And we reached the electronically limited speed (240 km/h) in a breeze.

So i would say that the procede is the ideal solution for anyone who wants noticeably more power, a sportier and more fun ride but who is willing to live with a slightly less linear response from the engine and slightly more turbo lag. It's an incredible bang for the buck mod and would definetily recommend it to everyone. On the other hand if you really wanna get the most out of it make sure you let the ECU adapt (which might take a couple of hundred miles) before making your final verdict and don't have crazy expectations (NO your car will not become an M5/M6 killer).

Mine became an E39 M5 Killer
      04-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I thought it was going to just vaporize the rubber and all that. The more I drove the more I liked it. Anyway, fuel pump went out. Took out PROcede yesterday. Drove less than a mile and said to myself, "man this thing feels like a boat".
      04-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straz 335 View Post
Mine became an E39 M5 Killer
you know i meant e60 M5
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #5
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I thought it was going to just vaporize the rubber and all that. The more I drove the more I liked it. Anyway, fuel pump went out. Took out PROcede yesterday. Drove less than a mile and said to myself, "man this thing feels like a boat".
If your fuel pump went out it should be stuck in Limp mode which most certianly would feel like a rowboat. How did you determine your FP failed, did you have the required diagnostics done by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
If your fuel pump went out it should be stuck in Limp mode which most certianly would feel like a rowboat. How did you determine your FP failed, did you have the required diagnostics done by the dealer?
sometimes, if you wait for a while, the car will run normally again, and then go out again... it doesnt *always* blow up and never come back
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
sometimes, if you wait for a while, the car will run normally again, and then go out again... it doesnt *always* blow up and never come back

Yeah I have heard that but in those cases there is always the question as to whether or not it is in fact the FP. Especially in a car that recently has a piggyback installed since errors from that could very well mimic a faulty FP. I'm not really doubting that he could have a bad FP, just wondering how he determined it since he seems to be suggesting his car is running normally stock now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Glad to hear that you like your procede. I actually prefer a less linear "feel" in terms of power delivery, but that's just me. Looks like the procede will fit me perfectly.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Mark313
Private
Rep
Drives: none

when your ecu adapts to the procede, and you have to take it in for service, so you remove it. after you reinstall it, will it still have to adapt?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark313 View Post
when your ecu adapts to the procede, and you have to take it in for service, so you remove it. after you reinstall it, will it still have to adapt?
Adaptation happens pretty quickly. The baseline PROcede maps are pretty conservative. This gives the factory ECU the inclination to bump up timing and make things more aggressive. This may happen over the course of a day or two, depending on your driving style and fuel quality. All this stuff happens by itself when you drive the car. But even out of the gate, the PROcede improves power by 45-60whp and and 80-100lbft of torque. The more you drive it, the smoother and more responsive it will get.

-shiv
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:28 PM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
It started days ago. The hp pump is done for me. It ran fine after uninstalling, then started gasping. Doing, get by, driving adjustments will not work with me. Bad fuel pump has been acknowleged. My comment was regarding the factory HPower.
      04-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It started days ago. The hp pump is done for me. Doing, get by, adjustments will not work with me. My comment was regarding the factory HPower.
That was the point, you said:

1. Your FP went out
2. You uninstalled the PROcede
3. You drove your car stock and it felt like a boat (a shot the power of a stock 335i)

I guess you are saying you just made the last part up No big deal.

Edit, Ahh you changed your post, now I understand. Good luck with the new pump and PROcede.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #13
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1 View Post
That was the point, you said:

1. Your FP went out
2. You uninstalled the PROcede
3. You drove your car stock and it felt like a boat (a shot the power of a stock 335i)

I guess you are saying you just made the last part up No big deal.
What? I am missing something. A shot the power of a stock 335i. I loved stock power until I lived w/ more is all it was about. Wrap.
      04-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
radgator1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
2007 e90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
What? I am missing something. A shot the power of a stock 335i. I loved stock power until I lived w/ more is all it was about. Wrap.
NM, you edited your post and added the part about "it ran fine after uninstalling it". Thats the part I missed origionally. GL, I hope the wait isn't too long for the HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 10:30 PM   #15
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

why are u guys hijacking my thread...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #16
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Glad to hear that you like your procede. I actually prefer a less linear "feel" in terms of power delivery, but that's just me. Looks like the procede will fit me perfectly.

i feel the same as you, I would prefer a "rush" of power all of a sudden rather than being linear... Nothing beats the feel of being thrown hard into your seat.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #17
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
i feel the same as you, I would prefer a "rush" of power all of a sudden rather than being linear... Nothing beats the feel of being thrown hard into your seat.
If you want the feeling of being thrown into your seat just FLOOR IT. If you want to actually be able to control the car on a twistie road a linear throttle is the only way to go.

How non-linear IS the power from the Procede??