Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Summer tires in the winter...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Summer tires in the winter...

OK so I know that using summer tires in the winter is not a good idea.

But why? Does it makes the tires brittle? No traction? Wear faster?

All of the above?

I live in central PA and plan on getting a winter beater, however I wasn't really planning on switching my wheels on my BMW. they are the stock 17" RFT summer tire on the sport 328i's.

I don't plan on driving the car a lot, but will drive it maybe once/twice a week just to keep the battery, engine, and everything else working well.

...Is this a problem? Should I get winter tires even though I won't be driving my car a lot in the winter?

I will NOT drive my car w/ summer tires in the snow. I know that is a big no-no. But obviously here in PA, it might not snow everyday, but over the winter months does and will get quite cold.
      09-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Not just little to no traction in snow, but grip levels are also very low in temps below 40 degrees. If you really are getting a winter beater, just put a trickle charger on your car and let it sit for the winter months with fuel stabilizer properly run through the system.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@TireRack View Post
Not just little to no traction in snow, but grip levels are also very low in temps below 40 degrees. If you really are getting a winter beater, just put a trickle charger on your car and let it sit for the winter months with fuel stabilizer properly run through the system.
Problem with that is that I do not have a garage. I park my car in a "car port", covered on 1 side and the back, and open on one side and the front where I pull in, so I am pretty sure I can't use a trickle charger.

I am 100% buying a winter beater, but still would like to be able to drive my BMW on SOME days. - even in the middle of december, there will be a "sunny and nice" saturday @ about 45-50 degrees out.
      09-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I drove my 335i on RFT's in winter on dry roads and it's all right. I didn't push the car obviously.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
I drove my 335i on RFT's in winter on dry roads and it's all right. I didn't push the car obviously.
Yes, I do not plan on driving aggressively at all.

I don't plan on doing a burnout in 27 degree weather with my summer tires.

Are you in upstate NY? How are the winters there?
      09-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

No, I'm in NYC itself. Winters aren't too crazy, snow is usually cleared next day but still I got me DWS tires as sometimes I can't get out even out of my parking spot.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
There's no real problem if you drive it as you plan. As others have said the rubber compound in summer tires is designed to grip at higher temperatures and you will have less traction. It wont be like you are in snow and not moving at all just because its cold, but you will certainly want to avoid pushing it.

Separately, if you own the car and plan to keep it a long time, you probably want to try to avoid driving after snow when there is tons of salt on the road (or wash your car right after). The salt can definitely promote rusting, especially under the car where salt gets lodged and you cant see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
There's no real problem if you drive it as you plan. As others have said the rubber compound in summer tires is designed to grip at higher temperatures and you will have less traction. It wont be like you are in snow and not moving at all just because its cold, but you will certainly want to avoid pushing it.

Separately, if you own the car and plan to keep it a long time, you probably want to try to avoid driving after snow when there is tons of salt on the road (or wash your car right after). The salt can definitely promote rusting, especially under the car where salt gets lodged and you cant see it.

Will dry stopping distances be greatly reduced when its cold out? I don't care if it takes an extra few feet to stop, but if it takes 7 more car lengths to stop or something, that seems like a huge safety hazzard. I saw this video:

http://3seriesblog.com/safety-test-b...-summer-tires/

But they talk about in conditions such as wet/snow covered roads.

The people that have drove their summers in the winters - any HUGE differences in dry conditions? even if its like 20 degrees out?

But yes, I do own my car, and have always washed my cars after driving a day or two with a bunch of salt on the road. Also, the salt/rock chips they sprinkle down for traction tears your front bumper up. I had a nissan se-r before and my front bumper was ruined by chips due to winter driving... I will not be doing that in my Bimmer.
      09-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
i drove my slammed car on summers in colorado winter.

i dont recommend it, unless you dont mind not being able to move and get buried and spinning out everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
and yes, even on dry roads it will be harder to stop on summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

no offense but why not just buy some good snows instead of a junk 2nd car.
would you rather get hit in you're safe car than something else? you can't enjoy the good car next summer if you die trying to keep it clean. i would think the worst accidents are in the winter due to universal traction issues with everyone.

but anyway as people said, summers don't have tread to deal with snow, the rubber doesn't grip well at all in low temps, it get's hard. there shouldn't be any cracking and wear if anything odd would be uneven from normal summer wear due to a little different flex and reaction of the rubber to the road. probably not noticeable if you don't push the use. even in dry, cold temps and roads will hamper the tires function a bit. nothing to lose sleep over i don't think, you'll know them after a few days.

Last edited by 3erdriver; 09-07-2011 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
and yes, even on dry roads it will be harder to stop on summer tires.
I realize this, but is it significant?

Like the first time you were going 30mph and went to stop, were you like "oh my god my brakes dont work!" or was it more like "i need to press the brake a little harder" or "i didn't really notice a thing?"

Once again I do not want to do anything unsafe and risk wrecking my/someone else's car, or killing/injurying myself or anyone else.
      09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I realize this, but is it significant?

Like the first time you were going 30mph and went to stop, were you like "oh my god my brakes dont work!" or was it more like "i need to press the brake a little harder" or "i didn't really notice a thing?"

Once again I do not want to do anything unsafe and risk wrecking my/someone else's car, or killing/injurying myself or anyone else.
then buy snow tires.

i stepped on the brakes and it felt like i was on ice. just don't do what i did.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #14
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimH6 View Post
no offense but why not just buy some good snows instead of a junk 2nd car.
would you rather get hit in you're safe car than something else? you can't enjoy the good car next summer if you die trying to keep it clean. i would think the worst accidents are in the winter due to universal traction issues with everyone.

but anyway as people said, summers don't have tread to deal with snow, the rubber doesn't grip well at all in low temps, it get's hard. there shouldn't be any cracking and wear if anything odd would be uneven from normal summer wear due to a little different flex and reaction of the rubber to the road. probably not noticeable if you don't push the use. even in dry, cold temps and roads will hamper the tires function a bit. nothing to lose sleep over i don't think, you'll know them after a few days.

Because I am not buying a '87 Ford Fiesta, my winter beater and "junk" car would be something more along the lines of a Subaru wagon (AWD) a small truck or SUV that is AWD/4x4 or just a decent FWD car and I will get cheap snow tires for that, such as a Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc. I have owned a Mitsu Eclipse and Nissan SE-R, both FWD and NEVER had snow tires on them just all-seasons, and I drove those cars around my area in the winter AND LIGHT snow without any serious problems.

I also want a 2nd car just to have to help save miles and the wear and tear.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 09-07-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
then buy snow tires.

i stepped on the brakes and it felt like i was on ice. just don't do what i did.
Sorry, but I call BS.

I'm not saying it didn't feel differnet, but NO WAY in DRY conditions when its 20 degrees outside, did your car feel as though it was on ice when trying to stop.

Unless you were going 75mph and stomped the brakes. I can see the summer tires "skidding" or "sliding" easier because the rubber compound is hard and doesn't grip.... but no way should id feel like you are on ice.

If you're going 30 mph and apply the brakes normally, the car should not SKID or SLIDE at all, it might take a few feet extra to come to a rest but ice? Seriously?
      09-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

Quote:
Because I am not buying a '87 Ford Fiesta, my winter beater and "junk" car would be something more along the lines of a Subaru wagon (AWD) a small truck or SUV that is AWD/4x4 or just a decent FWD car and I will get cheap snow tires for that, such as a Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc. I have owned a Mitsu Eclipse and Nissan SE-R, both FWD and NEVER had snow tires on them just all-seasons, and I drove those cars around my area in the winter AND LIGHT snow without any serious problems.

I also want a 2nd car just to have to help save miles and the wear and tear.
oh come on an 87 fiesta would be a killer beater! an impreza with snows would be killer, i wouldn't call it a beater though.
      09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #17
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I live in North Texas, we don't get much "winter" here but occasionally we get a few days where it snows and ices over. Summer tires are downright scary on snow/ice. It's like driving on roller skates. Now if there is no moisture on the ground and it's just cold the grip is reduced but it's not dangerous with traction control on. Just don't go whipping corners at speed. I've driven on summer tires in 20 degree weather and they do just fine. You'll get some tire spin until they warm up a little however. If you're cautious and you're not trying to be fast and furious I think you'll be ok. Just don't get caught out in it when it starts to snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Sorry, but I call BS.

I'm not saying it didn't feel differnet, but NO WAY in DRY conditions when its 20 degrees outside, did your car feel as though it was on ice when trying to stop.

Unless you were going 75mph and stomped the brakes. I can see the summer tires "skidding" or "sliding" easier because the rubber compound is hard and doesn't grip.... but no way should id feel like you are on ice.

If you're going 30 mph and apply the brakes normally, the car should not SKID or SLIDE at all, it might take a few feet extra to come to a rest but ice? Seriously?
call me in december. id love to take you for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #19
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
call me in december. id love to take you for a ride.
Hm.

What about all the people who said they have done it without any major issues?

I agree the car will feel different, but in a dry condition, I don't see how it could be like ice.

I mean the tires are not plastic so no way are they slipping that bad.

If this was the case, if I parked on a inclined driveway W/ summer tires and was dry out but 10 degrees out, I could "push" my car down the driveway without the wheels turning? I doubt that.
      09-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Why don't you just try it this winter and report back if you don't believe what people tell you? Don't bitch and moan if your car ends up up the ass of another one or around a pole though.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #21
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
its different here in CO than other winters. im deep in the rockies it snows every day
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #22
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Why don't you just try it this winter and report back if you don't believe what people tell you? Don't bitch and moan if your car ends up up the ass of another one or around a pole though.
Pretty sure no one is bitching.

So sorry to question an opinion by someone. I forgot everything you read on the internet is true.

Pretty sure this is a car forum dedicated to helping each other out. Hence, I posted a question that I knew nothing about. Someone posted an answer, and without further explanation, I did not fully agree with. I would like that person to elaborate on it.

The whole point to posting a question is to get an answer BEFORE my car ends up around a poll. So sorry there were comflicting answers that I was trying to get more explanation out of.

Pretty sure your post is the only post on this topic that is of absoluetly no use. Stop trying to get your post numbers up. Take your Honda and its VTEC and shove it. People like you ruin good forums like this, when people are just trying to help out and not be a bunch of smartasses.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Do not respond. I only want reponses that have to do with summer tires in winter.