E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > unfortunate circumstances

04-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
houston06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw328i 07 coupe

unfortunate circumstances

Hey guys, ive come to you under unfortunate circumstances. I recently purchased my first bmw, 2007 328i coupe, jet black on saddle...beautiful but life throws things unexpectedly at you and my father has been diagnosed with CJD disease, in the last 6 months hes gone from being perfect to now barely talking adn not being able to walk at all as his is in a wheel chair,there is no known cure but we are participating in a clinical trial. I have to sell my bmw now and buy a handicap van accessible better for my new lifestyle.. The car only has 2500 miles on it and is still in newly bought condition as I was planning on keeping it for a long long time and it is already paid off. I have, premium/sport packages....comfort access. and park distance control maybe more check my sig...How much and where could i sell this for and anybody know the best price for reliable handicap vans? thanks guys
On order- Jet Black e92 328i coupe... Saddle Brown Interior....Premium...Sports...Comfort...Park Distance....Picked it up, wow...loving the 328 sport wheels and the combination inside out more than i imagined!,,,,
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi/2019 bmw 230i

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
So sorry to hear about your Dad. Wish you the best and I'll pray for you guys.
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Sorry to hear that bro. CJD is one of those life altering neurologic disorder. Here on the eastcoast, aside from selling privately, people usually make a little more selling to CarMax than to sell it back to the dealer. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am so sorry to hear your unfortunate happening. Is there any way to keep the BMW and buy a pretty used van? Try craigslist for the van listings and if you don't mind me asking what is CJD?
      04-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Your family will be in my thoughts and your father is lucky to have a son that wants to take of him.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Nevermind the car, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. I've witnessed first hand what it takes to deal with these sorts of issues, as my mom dealt with her mom since 1994 until this year. It's beyond difficult and takes it's toll.

God Bless you for thinking of your father first. And God Bless your father as he battles with this unfortunate illness.

I hope if we ever get a Houston meet going you'll make your way out there. Hope you keep posting around here.

My best wishes are with your father and your whole family.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I am very very sorry to hear about your father's desease. My thoughts go out to him and you and the rest of the familly who will have to go through some difficult moments going forward. What you are doing is very generous of you - don,t worry about car resale, remember in life you often get back what you put in. This will come back to reward you in the future, I am certain.

Take care,
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
toughluck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

houston06,

At the end of the day, cars are just cars. I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances, and I hope you spend some quality time with your father and family. You are making the right choice. God bless you and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
magamaga
-
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have a friend whose son has Muscular Distrophy discovered when he was a boy. He was also a poster boy for the Jerry Lewis telethon. PM me and I'll get you in touch with him. They have a handicap van.
Sorry about your dad.
325i Sparkling Graphite/Navigation/Steptronic/HeatedSeats/ DRL Angel Eyes/Metal Pedals/Tail Pipe Tips/Rear BMW Spoiler/BMWAlarm/LoJack/BlackLineTailLights/Hardwired BeltronicsProfessionalRX65RadarDetector/Rear FogLights/Debadged/LUX 5.0/ACS Roof Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
xMSMx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 328i coupe/coral red

Sorry to hear about your dad. Living with a chronic disease is not easy, use this time to be with your family and gather strength. Best of wishes

CURRENT: 2011 528i f10 Titanium Silver/Cinnamon Brown/Aluminum/Premium/Sport/Navigation/Comfort Access/Smart Phone Integration/ I-pod-USB
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #11
crawfoj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I'm so sorry to hear about your father. That's rough. I have MS and my wife is disabled and uses crutches/wheelchair for mobility. So, I can appreciate some of the challenges you might be facing. A local MS support group has been helpful for me. Perhaps there's something that might help you through this very difficult time. God bless you both.

FYI, not that you were looking to fit your BMW to be handicapped accessible, but I had come accross an article about BMW reimbursing 100% for the cost of making the necessary changes to a vehicle. See article below. Maybe that's of interest. However, an organization it mentions in the article might be of greater use to you for the van:

http://www.nmeda.org/

BMW Group lifts reimbursement limits for disabled buyers
(PR) BMW Group Lifts Reimbursement limits for disabled buyers making one-time vehicle modifications
BMW Release
February 13, 2007
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - In an effort to make its products more accessible to buyers with disabilities, BMW Group today announced that it will lift the reimbursement ceiling for disabled buyers of BMW and MINI vehicles who wish to make one-time vehicle modifications to facilitate or ease their use of the vehicle. Previously, BMW Group limited the amount it reimbursed buyers.
"We are committed to meeting the unique needs of our customers," said Tom Purves, chairman and CEO of BMW (US) Holding Corp.
BMW Group will reimburse buyers of new and certified pre-owned BMW and MINI vehicles for one-time driver modifications, provided that certain requirements are met.
The vehicles must be purchased or leased from an authorized BMW or MINI dealer, with a receipt subject to verification. Applicants must be able to verify ownership with a valid driver's license and registration form. And, they must submit a service invoice outlining all modification costs. For modification facilities please contact the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (http://www.nmeda.org/) or at 800-833-0427.
Modifications that alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications impact the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the Service and Warranty booklet provided with BMW Group vehicles for further details. The booklets are available at your dealer or through BMW's Customer Relations staff. More information is available from BMW and MINI's Customer Relations staff at 800- 831-1117 for BMW and 866-275-6464 for MINI.
      04-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90330iS View Post
... and if you don't mind me asking what is CJD?

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a very rare and incurable degenerative neurological disorder (brain disease) that is ultimately fatal. Among the types of transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, it is the most common.

Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy diseases are caused by prions. The diseases are thus sometimes called prion diseases. Other prion diseases include Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker syndrome (GSS), fatal familial insomnia (FFI) and kuru in humans, as well as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) commonly known as mad cow disease, chronic wasting disease (CWD), and scrapie in sheep.

The prion that is believed to cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob exhibits at least two stable conformations. One, the native state, is water-soluble and present in healthy cells. As of 2006, its biological function is unknown. The other conformational state is very poorly water-soluble and readily forms protein aggregates.

The CJD prion is dangerous because it promotes refolding of native proteins into the diseased state. The number of misfolded protein molecules will increase exponentially, and the process leads to a large quantity of insoluble prions in affected cells. This mass of misfolded proteins disrupts cell function and causes cell death. Once the prion is transmitted, the defective proteins invade the brain and are produced in a self-sustaining feedback loop, causing exponential spread of the prion, death within a few months, although a few patients have been known to live as long as two years.

-from Wikepedia
      04-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #13
houston06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw328i 07 coupe

yea that isthe scientific defintion of it, it basically slowly progresses, the worst part about it is there is no known cure and 100 percent of known patients have passed away with in a year is the usual rate. 8 months ago my father was still doing business making jokes, driving and just being who he is, he is only 52. His balance started going out ranodmly and as he was over weight we though it was related to that, or some sort of nerve damage..later he had more headaches and just acted a bit different we though it might be some stress issues...we toko him to all hte docotors many dont know what CJD is, we confirmed it in aroudn november adn by this time he could only walk with a couple people around him and begin acting very much different and wierd. Now he is on a wheel chair full time, slurs out much of his words, does have times of laughing but rarely, and is fully dependent on us for every aspect for bathing, eating ect. I mean its horrible and for any family or person to go through this sort of thing but everythings happend so fast and I am only twenty and along wit hcollege ( iwas suppsoed to transfer into cornell this semester but this came along so I have to be home full time, I also have investments and run businesses which ofcourse I learned how to do from my father) now i mean no time ot dwell our family just hd to take action,
after seeing western doctors tell us the heart of our family my father would most likely be passed away within the 6 months we have looked towards alternative medicine, i just foudn out we might be travelig to india to work with ayurveda treatments which some people have done...we are praying hopefully this will work as all we want is hope...and the van once we get back i suppose Iwill take care of to take him to family and to church which is awlays been a big part of our life. I didnt htink it would make adiference teo be honest iwth you but i guese the support actaully was great to hear..thanks for the advice, insihgt, or justsupport,its very appreciated, i just foundout and we are leaving toomorrow to another country i have never been too but whatever it takes!
On order- Jet Black e92 328i coupe... Saddle Brown Interior....Premium...Sports...Comfort...Park Distance....Picked it up, wow...loving the 328 sport wheels and the combination inside out more than i imagined!,,,,
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfoj View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your father. That's rough. I have MS and my wife is disabled and uses crutches/wheelchair for mobility. So, I can appreciate some of the challenges you might be facing. A local MS support group has been helpful for me. Perhaps there's something that might help you through this very difficult time. God bless you both.

FYI, not that you were looking to fit your BMW to be handicapped accessible, but I had come accross an article about BMW reimbursing 100% for the cost of making the necessary changes to a vehicle. See article below. Maybe that's of interest. However, an organization it mentions in the article might be of greater use to you for the van:

http://www.nmeda.org/

BMW Group lifts reimbursement limits for disabled buyers
(PR) BMW Group Lifts Reimbursement limits for disabled buyers making one-time vehicle modifications
BMW Release
February 13, 2007
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - In an effort to make its products more accessible to buyers with disabilities, BMW Group today announced that it will lift the reimbursement ceiling for disabled buyers of BMW and MINI vehicles who wish to make one-time vehicle modifications to facilitate or ease their use of the vehicle. Previously, BMW Group limited the amount it reimbursed buyers.
"We are committed to meeting the unique needs of our customers," said Tom Purves, chairman and CEO of BMW (US) Holding Corp.
BMW Group will reimburse buyers of new and certified pre-owned BMW and MINI vehicles for one-time driver modifications, provided that certain requirements are met.
The vehicles must be purchased or leased from an authorized BMW or MINI dealer, with a receipt subject to verification. Applicants must be able to verify ownership with a valid driver's license and registration form. And, they must submit a service invoice outlining all modification costs. For modification facilities please contact the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (http://www.nmeda.org/) or at 800-833-0427.
Modifications that alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications impact the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Please refer to the Service and Warranty booklet provided with BMW Group vehicles for further details. The booklets are available at your dealer or through BMW's Customer Relations staff. More information is available from BMW and MINI's Customer Relations staff at 800- 831-1117 for BMW and 866-275-6464 for MINI.
Good stuff to know, but as you stated, I'm sure the BMW is just not practical for the situation. All disabilities are as unique as the individual themselves. No two are exactly alike.

I'm a paraplegic myself, and use a pretty sweet hand control setup on my 335. BMW reimburses me (should be getting a check from them soon) and also the VA so I actually come out ahead.

To the OP, I think I saw that you live in Houston correct? If that is the case, you are not that far from San Antonio and Brook Army Medical Center where there are unfortunately several of us handicapped servicemembers rehabilitating that need special services such as these. I would bet my 335 there is a shop or two in San Antonio and even Houston that sell and/or fix up adapted vehicles. I would try looking around there since it is very close and probably competitive in prices.

I wish your family the best, as I can relate to the life changes one has to make......
      04-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Thoughts and prayers for you and your dad. You're a good son.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #16
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Seems like you're doing the best you can for your Dad. May you both find peace in the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #17
turbocoins
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z06, '07 MKZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Thoughts and prayers for you and your dad. You're a good son.
+1, with respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 06:45 AM   #18
NYBMW335
Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i jet black/black

I wish You and your family the best!!! I hope you find an answer for all your problems. I think the best way to go thru all of this, is to take it day by day. Good luck and try to keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #19
TonyLukes3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 Z3 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
That is such a shame. It really breaks my heart to hear about such unfortunate circumstances as these. I wish you and your family the best during these tough times, and my compliments to you on being such a selfless person to help take care of your father. He's lucky to have you around - that alone will surely help him make it through the days ahead. God bless.
      04-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #20
TECENG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Terra

My heart goes out to you and your family. Look at this as an opportunity to spend time with your family and give your dad the respect and time he deserves. I really hope for the best.

330i Sparkling Graphite | Terra | Walnut | Steptronic | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Pkg
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Stay close to him. Prayers with you all. Really put's all this car stuff into perspective.
      04-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #22
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
Good stuff to know, but as you stated, I'm sure the BMW is just not practical for the situation. All disabilities are as unique as the individual themselves. No two are exactly alike.

I'm a paraplegic myself, and use a pretty sweet hand control setup on my 335. BMW reimburses me (should be getting a check from them soon) and also the VA so I actually come out ahead.

To the OP, I think I saw that you live in Houston correct? If that is the case, you are not that far from San Antonio and Brook Army Medical Center where there are unfortunately several of us handicapped servicemembers rehabilitating that need special services such as these. I would bet my 335 there is a shop or two in San Antonio and even Houston that sell and/or fix up adapted vehicles. I would try looking around there since it is very close and probably competitive in prices.

I wish your family the best, as I can relate to the life changes one has to make......
My friend drives this on track and he is a paraplegic..got a sweet set up for controls. That car hauls ass too.

to the OP...I feel for you bro....my dad had been fighting something the last few years and we had been fighting with him. It is really tough..I know what you are going thru. Just remember that we are rooting for you and your dad to get thru this with the least amount of pain, and with as much dignity as possible. I worked in a rehab hospital for several years and got experience dealing with all kinds of ailments...its good that he has you to help. Many people dont.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0