E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How many make a living detailing?

09-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

How many make a living detailing?

So I was curious as to how many of you guys on here make a living detailing cars?
I see some of you post a Ferrari or some other high end car you\'ve done every few days it seems, is this a regular job or part time?
I did regular details and paint correction jobs this summer (I\'m in high school), curious to see how many do this as their regular job?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
So I was curious as to how many of you guys on here make a living detailing cars?
I see some of you post a Ferrari or some other high end car you\'ve done every few days it seems, is this a regular job or part time?
I did regular details and paint correction jobs this summer (I\'m in high school), curious to see how many do this as their regular job?
Hey I did the same thing bro, I'm 17. But hell you already have a 335?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

I do, its taken a lot of hard work, striving to put out quality each and every time I touch a car, and lots of late nights building the business....its not easy, but its possible!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3man1994 View Post
Hey I did the same thing bro, I'm 17. But hell you already have a 335?
I loved doing it, the only way to make more money in high school is probably illegal haha. And I got my 335 used for a really, really good deal, and it was a gift from my parents. Not a spoiled brat though, I got it because I've kept my gpa up and such. I also have to pay gas, maintenance, etc. Still, counting myself lucky.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
I do, its taken a lot of hard work, striving to put out quality each and every time I touch a car, and lots of late nights building the business....its not easy, but its possible!
I figured it wouldn't be the easiest job to have. Probably only going to do it part time through college, but I was just curious as to who out there was a pro detailer.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yeah I just got a deal doing 30 limos.. full paint correction, I am wondering what I should charge.

The cars range from town car, to escalade to full blown buss.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Limos? Oh boy haha. Well they should be good pay. I never had a definite price per hour, but kinda judged how much work would have to go in, time, etc. For a heavy restoration on a big suv, I'd charge around $400. If it wasn't too bad, closer to $300. As far as the bus goes, how big is it? The bigger, the more money. I was offered a job on an RV, for $1k. If we're talking greyhound size, I'd aim at something a little less than that but not too far off
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Yeah I just got a deal doing 30 limos.. full paint correction, I am wondering what I should charge.

The cars range from town car, to escalade to full blown buss.
Holy cow my friend... you aren't even going to be able to feel your arms after that!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
bretster
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm 16 about to be a junior in High school and i've been detailing since the beginning of freshman year.

My advice to you, even thought you're most likely older than me , is literally take the time to get that extra 10. Go to the library, print flyers for the business, go to sears and buy a 100 dollar tent to have a detail demonstration and go to car meets with a freshly detailed car, then sit and watch the people drool over it. Get involved in car clubs and car communities too thats a huge market for me. Out of about 100 details, 80 of those have been BMW's because of the online community and local word of mouth. Everyone has a car and usually it needs a detail. Start from there and you'll be good. I'm stilll growing as a business and learn more and more about the detail game myself so it's a never ending learning curve. Goodluck man

Last edited by bretster; 09-07-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not bad! I wanted an E46 M but the whole 10 year old car thing didn't fly with my parents. Not disappointed at all though!
But yeah, we don't have a ton of car culture in my town, it's fairly small to begin with, so even fewer car people. However, after a slow start, the word of mouth got out and people started coming in like crazy, even if it was just a wash/wax job. Because of school starting for me, and my year older partner going off to college, the business has slowed. This summer though, we'll pick back up.
For promotion, we thought about taking on of our old, beat up tahoes and doing an all out detail on half, then leaving the other side as it is. Then park it out at the mall, other public places with fliers on it.
Be creative, be honest, and do quality work. Someone would much rather shell out $400 for a perfect car that $300 for a not quite perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
bretster
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Not bad! I wanted an E46 M but the whole 10 year old car thing didn't fly with my parents. Not disappointed at all though!
But yeah, we don't have a ton of car culture in my town, it's fairly small to begin with, so even fewer car people. However, after a slow start, the word of mouth got out and people started coming in like crazy, even if it was just a wash/wax job. Because of school starting for me, and my year older partner going off to college, the business has slowed. This summer though, we'll pick back up.
For promotion, we thought about taking on of our old, beat up tahoes and doing an all out detail on half, then leaving the other side as it is. Then park it out at the mall, other public places with fliers on it.
Be creative, be honest, and do quality work. Someone would much rather shell out $400 for a perfect car that $300 for a not quite perfect car.
well said. Another word of advice for you is to keep a consistent line of work and perfect your technique, know what you're doing. Do your research to make sure you can get 100% correction because 90% just doesn't cut it. Also, keep your pricing EXACT. Give a ballpark and when you examine the car give the customer a no questions asked, firm price, and make sure they know that your work is worth the price. Do it respectfully though, if someone offers you 100 less for your service, use your knowledge why your work is worth this and how your price is justified. Eventually, as you work your way up using much more expensive products, you'll be able to charge more and have reasoning behind your prices. Prove to your customers your price is what you get and especially if you get cars 100%, the customer satisfaction is one of the best feelings Detail because you love it, not because you want to love it.

regarding my M,

Work hard bro and never stop trying, you'll get there. There will be rough spots when you have no cars but everyones light turns on one time or another, you'll be good.

Last edited by bretster; 09-07-2011 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretster View Post
Do your research to make sure you can get 100% correction because 90% just doesn't cut it. Also, keep your pricing EXACT. Give a ballpark and when you examine the car give the customer a no questions asked, firm price, and make sure they know that your work is worth the price.
Terrible advice!!! your age and lack of experience shows here...stop giving this kind of advice!!!!

MOST people arent looking for 100% correction. MOST people are looking for MUCH better and closer to new, not showroom new! MOST people are not going to search for the perfect car wash techniques. MOST people are not in search of the best paint correction there is...do you understand that 100% is typically in the $800-$1500 range, if not more????? paint correction is not something everyone has the knowledge to do, nor the time!

with that said, and you being only 16-17, with little to no paint correction experience, dont even offer paint correction as an option. What are you going to do when you encounter a guy with a car and its full of holograms that you cant get out with a PC and 85rd??? are you going to tell him its impossible and its normal for black cars to have holograms?

Once you make a name for yourself, and start doing 100%/99% paint correction jobs, then start offering it! Telling someone that you do 100% jobs and only giving them 80% jobs only makes the detailing industry look bad. Then that person will not want ever have their car detailed again...

food for thought.....comment as you want?!

if you give a firm price, and you run into trouble areas like scratches on the horizontals, then you are stuck fixing them for no additional cost! I dont know about you but I dont like working for free!!! Thats why most pros you will come across will charge by the hour, not by the job!!!

and you dont charge more because you use more expensive products...you charge more because your results are that much better!! just because you use swissvax over chemical guys doesnt mean you can charge 100 more per car. bu the fact you applied a paintwork cleanse before jetseal 109 means you can charge more because you did an additional step that will alllow better bonding with the paint!!!

Last edited by Envious Eric; 09-05-2011 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Glad you jumped in here Eric. So many young kids giving bad advice in here.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
Terrible advice!!! your age and lack of experience shows here...stop giving this kind of advice!!!!

MOST people arent looking for 100% correction. MOST people are looking for MUCH better and closer to new, not showroom new! MOST people are not going to search for the perfect car wash techniques. MOST people are not in search of the best paint correction there is...do you understand that 100% is typically in the $800-$1500 range, if not more????? paint correction is not something everyone has the knowledge to do, nor the time!

with that said, and you being only 16-17, with little to no paint correction experience, dont even offer paint correction as an option. What are you going to do when you encounter a guy with a car and its full of holograms that you cant get out with a PC and 85rd??? are you going to tell him its impossible and its normal for black cars to have holograms?

Once you make a name for yourself, and start doing 100%/99% paint correction jobs, then start offering it! Telling someone that you do 100% jobs and only giving them 80% jobs only makes the detailing industry look bad. Then that person will not want ever have their car detailed again...

food for thought.....comment as you want?!

if you give a firm price, and you run into trouble areas like scratches on the horizontals, then you are stuck fixing them for no additional cost! I dont know about you but I dont like working for free!!! Thats why most pros you will come across will charge by the hour, not by the job!!!

and you dont charge more because you use more expensive products...you charge more because your results are that much better!! just because you use swissvax over chemical guys doesnt mean you can charge 100 more per car. bu the fact you applied a paintwork cleanse before jetseal 109 means you can charge more because you did an additional step that will alllow better bonding with the paint!!!
+1 This was a much needed blow to that kids ego.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Cosmin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: german v6

this tread start looking entertaining
      09-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well shit, I wasn't expecting that. I didn't necessarily mean 100%, I'm not using computers and such to be that perfect, but I'm pretty damn good at what I do.
You're right, especially when I'm cleaning cars for people that have never heard of polish, it's not 100% correct. My advice was based on an experience I had. Me and my partner were cleaning someone's old shitty suv, paint was beat to hell. We got it mostly correct, but decided to take t to the next level do a two step to make it that much better.
Do you not agree that turning out the best result you can, and maybe charging a little more to yourself to be fair?
We aren't pretending to be professionals, but don't judge because of age. We still have years of experience.
Let's be helpful, not make this a flaming contest.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

I also don't give a firm price, but an estimate before I clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

You will always be judged by your age. This is business. Good pro's go out of their way to provide a professional look and feeling for their customers.

Also, as it hasn't been pointed out: there's no such thing as a 100% job.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
You will always be judged by your age. This is business. Good pro's go out of their way to provide a professional look and feeling for their customers.

Also, as it hasn't been pointed out: there's no such thing as a 100% job.
Fair enough, but some of the comments here directed this kid's way are just plain rude.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well shit, I wasn't expecting that. I didn't necessarily mean 100%, I'm not using computers and such to be that perfect, but I'm pretty damn good at what I do.
You're right, especially when I'm cleaning cars for people that have never heard of polish, it's not 100% correct. My advice was based on an experience I had. Me and my partner were cleaning someone's old shitty suv, paint was beat to hell. We got it mostly correct, but decided to take t to the next level do a two step to make it that much better.
Do you not agree that turning out the best result you can, and maybe charging a little more to yourself to be fair?
We aren't pretending to be professionals, but don't judge because of age. We still have years of experience.
Let's be helpful, not make this a flaming contest.
years at your age means 2-3 tops, a lots of guys here have been detailing 10-20 years. Experience means a lot
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
+1 This was a much needed blow to that kids ego.
Two months ago you were asking what products to buy and didn't really have a clue

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552058

Now you jump in every thread about products and act like an expert, you could use a slice of humble pie yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Fair enough, but some of the comments here directed this kid's way are just plain rude.
I can see how you formed your opinion, but imagine a much younger much less experienced person in your field posting things that in some ways may hurt your image. There's a reason high-end detailers work hard to separate themselves from the pack: it affects their lively-hood.
Appreciate 0