O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Best way to exchange $?

Im going to Europe for two weeks, whats the best way to exchange $ for Euros without getting ripped off? A friend of mine said to use my ATM card and go to a bank and ask them to contact my bank to get money.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?
      08-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Blake will know this. I always just used plastic and never gave it much thought.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Im going to Europe for two weeks, whats the best way to exchange $ for Euros without getting ripped off? A friend of mine said to use my ATM card and go to a bank and ask them to contact my bank to get money.

Anyone have any suggestions or tips?
I use ATM card at major bank locations and it's usually a $5 charge for each withdrawal.

Also make sure you have a 4 digit pin not a 5 digit, I was told 5 digits will not work in other countries.

Last edited by M3Bahn; 08-29-2011 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
OP, what is your arrival port in EU and where all are you travelling? It depends, to be honest...

I would use plastic and carry little cash, unless you're in a city where cash is a necessary evil. A lot of places won't take AmEx, as I'm sure you know.

If I were you, I'd just use a travel-friendly card like MC "World" or something and have the piece of mind. I think the fee for the last 6 months for me was like $55 total for all of the foreign transactions I made in.... London, Barcelona, Paris, Cambridge, Moscow, Istanbul, Bangalore, Singapore, Nagoya, Rome, Frankfurt, Zurich...... you get the idea.

You might just want to move all of your money to Euros and just take out what you need in the US to live... considering the way things are going. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
OP, what is your arrival port in EU and where all are you travelling? It depends, to be honest...

I would use plastic and carry little cash, unless you're in a city where cash is a necessary evil. A lot of places won't take AmEx, as I'm sure you know.

If I were you, I'd just use a travel-friendly card like MC "World" or something and have the piece of mind. I think the fee for the last 6 months for me was like $55 total for all of the foreign transactions I made in.... London, Barcelona, Paris, Cambridge, Moscow, Istanbul, Bangalore, Singapore, Nagoya, Rome, Frankfurt, Zurich...... you get the idea.

You might just want to move all of your money to Euros and just take out what you need in the US to live... considering the way things are going. lol
Don't you mean swiss franc instead of euro?

08-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Don't you mean swiss franc instead of euro?

LOL... good point. Or, maybe nuclear bombs and hot red-headed virgins... That's where I'd keep my money if I could find em. ha
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

I usually exchange stateside thru BofA/other bank just strictly for things like cab fares or street things. I use debit/forex fee-free CC's for everything else. Travelers cheques in euros are another solid bet if you can't keep track of lots of cash. I say euro because it's a little less volatile these days
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
I usually exchange stateside thru BofA/other bank just strictly for things like cab fares or street things. I use debit/forex fee-free CC's for everything else. Travelers cheques in euros are another solid bet if you can't keep track of lots of cash. I say euro because it's a little less volatile these days
I second Blake's advice as solid for safety and economy - if you can plan ahead.

Most of my travel becomes known within 2hrs-2days before hand, so I pay a little extra for expedience. If you're going to travel a lot... also get a second Passport. The US is pretty lenient on getting duplicate Passports, but they're only good for 2yrs at a time. But, it's nice to have one with you and one that you can have sent for a visa back at the office (or one that your admin can FedEx you when the hookers steal it, lol).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
talisman311
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

ATM card us my vote. Ive used it in Australia, Taiwan, and Canada without any issues and my credit union has never charged me. Just make sure the logos match on the card and ATM.
      08-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

There's one fundamental problem with ATM's overseas...many banks put an indelible limit on foreign ATM withdrawals. Not only that, but if you happen to be like me and might blow through ¥50,000 at One Eyed Jack's in Roppongi in a couple hours, the bank will likely shut down your card until you call and explain to them why you were trying to withdrawal $1,000USD in Tokyo at 3AM.

Last edited by Blake; 08-30-2011 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

You have to go to your bank to get the limit lifted on the cards you want to use prior to your trip. Bring $3k Euro in cash. Don't worry about getting robbed... Just don't be stupid and "American/touristy" about flashing your money.
      08-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
You have to go to your bank to get the limit lifted on the cards you want to use prior to your trip. Bring $3k Euro in cash. Don't worry about getting robbed... Just don't be stupid and "American/touristy" about flashing your money.
Exactly. That's what I do now. I bring more than enough cash and lock it in the hotel safe with my passport. I only carry enough cash to get back and forth from just about anywhere where I go and my hotel unless I go out drinking.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Thanks for the tips guys, i will go with ATM card and CC and bring 1K euros.

Ill be going to Paris, then Venice and flying back from Rome

Last edited by nusevad; 08-29-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys, i will go with ATM card and CC and bring 1K euros.

Ill be going to Paris, then Venice and flying back from Rome
for how long?

i'll break it down like this: ≥1 week, €300 euro minimum for things like local transport, pubs, and casual dining. or €500+ for the aforementioned and best dining and clubs, at the least. multiply by weeks.

€1k is great for >2 weeks, but that's after all bills are paid (hotel), especially if it's a vacation. europe isn't cheap, but well worth the greenbacks.

france isn't the cheapest country, but italy is cheap by comparison. as long as you spend the larger amount in italy, you'll be good. from my experience, life, even as a tourist, is much cheaper in italy than france.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #15
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Plenty of money changers in London. Plenty on Edgware Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&su...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAQ
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
for how long?

i'll break it down like this: ≥1 week, €300 euro minimum for things like local transport, pubs, and casual dining. or €500+ for the aforementioned and best dining and clubs, at the least. multiply by weeks.

€1k is great for >2 weeks, but that's after all bills are paid (hotel), especially if it's a vacation. europe isn't cheap, but well worth the greenbacks.

france isn't the cheapest country, but italy is cheap by comparison. as long as you spend the larger amount in italy, you'll be good. from my experience, life, even as a tourist, is much cheaper in italy than france.
Ill be staying 5 days in France, 2 days in Venice and 7 days in Italy for vacation, with my girl and I. I just called up my bank and ordered €1k as well as unlocking my debit card to use in Europe. All bills had been paid. I am paranoid about carrying alot of cash around and I figure ill use CC when I can, if a restaurant/establishment looks sketch ill use euros. Does the taxis take CC?
      08-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Capital One, what's in your wallet?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ill be staying 5 days in France, 2 days in Venice and 7 days in Italy for vacation, with my girl and I. I just called up my bank and ordered €1k as well as unlocking my debit card to use in Europe. All bills had been paid. I am paranoid about carrying alot of cash around and I figure ill use CC when I can, if a restaurant/establishment looks sketch ill use euros. Does the taxis take CC?
i'd be hard pressed to find somewhere that's 'sketch' about dining in europe with a CC. they're actually better about it than us. most places will actually run your card right at the table in front of you. i'm pretty sure they consider it a sort of bad custom to take someone's credit card away. most taxis do not take CC's unless the taxi is prearranged (aka you call them and set it up in advance). even then, most taxi companies have insane fees and, at least in italy, the meter starts as soon as the cab is called. you could very well hop into a prearranged italian cab with €10 already on the clock if you call them. cash is absolutely needed all over europe, whereas i hardly carry cash at all here.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #19
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
i'd be hard pressed to find somewhere that's 'sketch' about dining in europe with a CC. they're actually better about it than us. most places will actually run your card right at the table in front of you.
Thats good to know, a family friend of mine went to France last year and she said somehow someone had gotten her CC info and went on a online shopping spree, she suspected the perp wrote down her CC info when she paid the bill for dinner.

I guess ill get another 500 euros for a total of 1,500e.
      09-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

Get a Schwab, ally or usaa checking account. They are free allow you to withdraw anywhere for no charge and refund the charges from other ATMs even in europe. Plus no conversion fees you pay what they pay. That's what I do and I dont use my Schwab account for anything except when I leave the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #21
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

No worries about either way you go. Been all around over here in Europe and ATM's are a dime a dozen. Carry enough Euro to cover small fees i.e. taxis, lunch etc... You should have no problem using you CC/Debt for hotels, rental cars etc.
Paris is the only place on your route to keep extra track of your wallet. You will stand out as both a tourist and most likley an American. The pick pockets know most Ami's keep their wallet in their back pocket so mix it up etc... nothing of major worry but just so your aware. Also be ready to accosted at every step by beggers and trinket sales people. paris is awesome though. Look into maybe using the hop on hop off tour buses.
If your gonna be in Italy for awhile and no concrete plans look into going to Cinqua Terra! Most awesome. Don't forget the train system it's easy, cheap and can get you anywhere.
Appreciate 0