E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel Pump/ Strange?

04-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Fuel Pump/ Strange?

I drove a 120 mile or so round trip yesterday. No signs of pump failure before trip. On the way there on the interstate this is what happened. Going 80mph, with the flow of traffic. 6th gear around 2900 rpms. Went around a car and barely gave it some more gas. Boom, goes into limp mode. Pull over, shut it off, wait a few minutes. Cranked her up and went on my way. Coming back it did the same thing under exactly the same circumstances. This time when I pulled over to a stop it shuddered like a manual car in too high a gear at a slow crawl. Not a rough shake, but a 2 second shake anyway. All I can say is, weird. Anybody else had this happen? :mad:
      04-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

yeah, this happened the day my fuel pump died
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

When was your car built?
      04-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
carl_lazlo
Doctor of Journalism
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 92 335i Sapphire Black

Unfortunatly this is exactly the same thing that happened to my car when the fuel pump died.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I drove a 120 mile or so round trip yesterday. No signs of pump failure before trip. On the way there on the interstate this is what happened. Going 80mph, with the flow of traffic. 6th gear around 2900 rpms. Went around a car and barely gave it some more gas. Boom, goes into limp mode. Pull over, shut it off, wait a few minutes. Cranked her up and went on my way. Coming back it did the same thing under exactly the same circumstances. This time when I pulled over to a stop it shuddered like a manual car in too high a gear at a slow crawl. Not a rough shake, but a 2 second shake anyway. All I can say is, weird. Anybody else had this happen? :mad:
Hope your dealer has loaners.....cause you ain't gonna be driving your car for at least 30 days. Don't worry though, I've been one the "waiting for my fuel pump bench" for about a week, so I will have a cold one waiting for you when you get here and we can our sorrows away....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

11/06 build. I got in this morning , no problem. Fired right up. I am going to Stett Performance at lunch to pull codes before I mess with the dealer. You guys said "exactly what happened right before mine died". So, this thing could die, for good, anywhere anytime? Shiv, at Vishnu wants to look at my code print out. He is unsure. Your responses seem to make it clear.I guess mileage really doesn't matter. 6510 on mine. I will frig'n get a 335 or better for a loaner! Just, I think, got approved for oil cooler install and this shit. Texans don't drink beer......
      04-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
mesier1111
Banned
Rep

Quote:
11/06 build. I got in this morning , no problem. Fired right up. I am going to Stett Performance at lunch to pull codes before I mess with the dealer. You guys said "exactly what happened right before mine died". So, this thing could die, for good, anywhere anytime? Shiv, at Vishnu wants to look at my code print out. He is unsure. Your responses seem to make it clear.I guess mileage really doesn't matter. 6510 on mine. I will frig'n get a 335 or better for a loaner! Just, I think, got approved for oil cooler install and this shit.
Just remember, its NOT YOUR DEALERS FAULT OR BMW's. BMW is at the mercy of the stupid vendor. I forgot this for a bit, and looked like a real ass, and there was no excuse, I deserved to be . Your dealer WILL HAVE TO upload a new update into your car to make sure that isn't the problem. In other words, if you give them the car, they do the update, and then teh car is ok, they give it back to you and it goes to shit again a day later, and it goes back to them and its the fuel pump, DON'T GET ANGRY---that is just the process they have to go through.

Hope that helps, if not, sorry for blabbing
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
Just remember, its NOT YOUR DEALERS FAULT OR BMW's. BMW is at the mercy of the stupid vendor. I forgot this for a bit, and looked like a real ass, and there was no excuse, I deserved to be . Your dealer WILL HAVE TO upload a new update into your car to make sure that isn't the problem. In other words, if you give them the car, they do the update, and then teh car is ok, they give it back to you and it goes to shit again a day later, and it goes back to them and its the fuel pump, DON'T GET ANGRY---that is just the process they have to go through.

Hope that helps, if not, sorry for blabbing
They will get some of this.
Can we get this update at a private shop???

Last edited by gonzo; 06-07-2007 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
mesier1111
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They will get some of this.
Can we get this update at a private shop???
No, it almost like a TSB....basically, some of teh cars have some misfire type problem that has VERY similar symptoms to a fuel pump failure. My car ran codes of "this problem" and they ran the update, the codes didn't come back and they gave me the car back. But within a day the problems were back and they ran more tests on her and the error code for the fuel pump came up.

So go to your dealer, trust them to do their jobs, you'll get a resolution quicker than you think, just be patient. GOOD LUCK!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Well. It just did it again. EXACT same scenario. Interstate, poof. BMW dealer said. " Bring it in. We will open a PUMA? file. Made a call on your VIN. Should have your car back w/i a week". What and who can I trust? Now I just saw a thread 2nd pump fails! ooooo yehhhh. This is awesome. Oh..I called the parts counter at my dealership and another dealership, before I called my SM. 180 & 181 pumps back ordered. This is nationwide.

Last edited by gonzo; 04-23-2007 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesier1111 View Post
No, it almost like a TSB....basically, some of teh cars have some misfire type problem that has VERY similar symptoms to a fuel pump failure. My car ran codes of "this problem" and they ran the update, the codes didn't come back and they gave me the car back. But within a day the problems were back and they ran more tests on her and the error code for the fuel pump came up.

So go to your dealer, trust them to do their jobs, you'll get a resolution quicker than you think, just be patient. GOOD LUCK!!!
We have 130 loaners sir. OK what will I get to drive? Well, right now I don't have any loaners. What?