E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Solid Start?

08-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
pbrex
Rep
Drives: 335i SGM

Solid Start?

Hey All,

Well after seeing all the great looking cars in this sub-forum I'm ready to give detailing a go. I have been lurking for a while soaking in all the knowledge that I can (man there are a ton of options). I have put together an order and would like the hives opinion on my selections. The car I will be working on is an 07 SGM 335i that has swirl marks. Since I have owned the car I have used the two bucket method for washing but the damage was already done by the previous owner.

Here is a link to my saved cart:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Cart-Saved/798642663/

Thanks in Advance,

Brock
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Brock,
It certainly appears as though you've been doing your research. I'd personally recommend you dump the orange pads and go with Surbuf pads (Recommend you order 2, 2 packs for a total of 4 surbuf pads), to use with the M105, use M205 on white, and then Menzerna 106fa on black. Also order 1 or 2 blue pads to use the Blackfire. Applying Blackfire by machine will allow for a thinner application (glide it on, DONT work it in - it's not polish!), so you get better slickness and durability while using less product.
Also, I take it you're good on microfibers?

GL!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
pbrex
Rep
Drives: 335i SGM

Mutt thanks for the quick response!!!! I've read and read about detailing jobs and the products y'all use but I still feel like a complete noob! Ill update my pads before I place the order. As far as microfiber towels, I have purchased a few sets locally that are extremely soft so I think I should be gtg.

-Brock
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrex View Post
Mutt thanks for the quick response!!!! I've read and read about detailing jobs and the products y'all use but I still feel like a complete noob! Ill update my pads before I place the order. As far as microfiber towels, I have purchased a few sets locally that are extremely soft so I think I should be gtg.

-Brock
Hey Brock, we all start somewhere!
If you have additional questions or have questions on certain products, please post up prior to your order. There are some other great guys here that can also lend their opinions as well as I.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
x3man1994
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 2.5

I have some product suggestions as well...

Meguiars Glass Cleaner - Has a much higher dilution ratio, great scent and works well too. Really great value for money as well.

I also don't seem to see any clay or clay lube for that matter so here is my suggestion for that. Get some ONR, which is a very versatile product (waterless wash, clay lube, quick detailer), as clay lube and then get one of the DI Clay Bars.

Marc suggested the Surbuf pad, which I have used and works great, but since its out there you might even want to look into the New Microfiber Pads, which will last a lot longer than a standard foam pad and produces amazing results as can be seen in the write up here.

Other than that your list looks as though its good. One thing to remember as a beginner, is don't use too much product. As Marc said if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Appreciate 0