BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
john9
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

BMW logo knock-offs, knock-knacks, etc on ebay...How do they get away with it?

I've bought a few BMW logo'd knick-knacks, from ebay......BMW umbrella for trunk, BMW ashtray for the patio-deck, etc, etc.... .& I've noticed this BMW logo'd stuff not only comes from Asia, but also USA.

I wonder why BMW, long ago, didn't try to shut this activity down? Maybe they actually like the attention as it keeps buyers interested in their car-brand & knick-knacks aren't a big deal to them?? Maybe it's not worth it to go after every little knick-knack maker?

Any enlightened thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
cause they dont give a fuck. they sell their authentic shit which is overpiced but they know who they are selling their products to. They just want people to buy shit when you walk in the dealership. the dealership pushes what it wants to.

but BMW wouldnt mind because this is like free brand exposure from them. They know their clients are going to buy the authentic BMW goods anyways, so if the other people want to get in the action why not? I dont see how shutting them down would make any sense economically, because the time and resources they would invest into it does not make sense for one principal reason: the sales of A is not eating into the sales of B. Sales of A promote the sales of B and vice versa, so its a win win.
      08-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
cause they dont give a fuck. they sell their authentic shit which is overpiced but they know who they are selling their products to. They just want people to buy shit when you walk in the dealership. the dealership pushes what it wants to.

but BMW wouldnt mind because this is like free brand exposure from them. They know their clients are going to buy the authentic BMW goods anyways, so if the other people want to get in the action why not? I dont see how shutting them down would make any sense economically, because the time and resources they would invest into it does not make sense for one principal reason: the sales of A is not eating into the sales of B. Sales of A promote the sales of B and vice versa, so its a win win.
Kiemyster is only saying this because he put a BMW logo in his signature and doesn't want BMW Corporation to sue him into the ground.
      08-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
Kiemyster is only saying this because he put a BMW logo in his signature and doesn't want BMW Corporation to sue him into the ground.
lol you got me..... not like they would sue such a loyal customer. I have no worries