BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
BUSINESS TRAVELERS! Recommend to me a carry-on?

I don't travel often and my luggage is ridiculously old.

I need a good rolling carry-on that will fit the standards for overhead containers.

There are so many hits when I google that I'm overwhelmed. If you have one you really like, or you know of one that gets great reviews or that you wished you had, please share. I need to order/buy one soon as I'm leaving for a weekender next Friday.

Thanks!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

I've used this for a few years now and it's been great.

08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

With wheels - I saw tumi on sale at costco.

Without wheels:

The Red Oxx air boss and Tom Bihn Aeronaut get very high reviews.

Last edited by M3Bahn; 08-26-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
JeremyR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I fly between 100,000 and 200,000 miles a year, so I would probably count as a "qualified" opinion. No question, without a doubt, buy a Briggs and Riley. Warrantied for life no matter what, well made (can't say the same for Tumi over the past decade) and various sizes/shapes that fit in the overheads...
      08-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I'd strongly recommend a folding bag, or even a large messenger. Rolling bags are such a pain in the ass. I use a Chrome messenger bag and a Tumi (crap brand, it's falling apart) folding bag for travel. I can carry both on, use the stairs and generally make my coworkers look silly in airports as they wait on escalators, take forever to check and pick up their bags and randomly roll their ponderous luggage into people.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
^^^ you're rolling with the wrong Tumi then
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Thanks for the fast responses! I'll check out the Tumi's. Had a brief look at the B&R's and I'm not sure I'm going to use it enough to justify the price. I bet it's worth it for the warranty to someone who flies all the time.

I was looking for something more "tactical." Meaning... something with useful compartments ... say cellphone/personal electronics, a separate compartment for a pair of shoes or perhaps a place for a wet swimsuit, whatever. Not something with a zipper and a cavity with wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Tumi? Lol give me a break. Zero Halliburton or go home.

08-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

I bought a set of the 4-wheeled samsonite bags. Both the big suitcase and the carry-on are easy to wheel around almost effortlessly. When I travel, I often carry the big bag, the carry-on, and a laptop bag. With the 2 4-wheeled bags, I can very easily wield all 3 without losing my mind. Quality is just as good as any tumi bags I've ever had. Much better than my now retired andiamo bags. I fly around 100k miles a year, if that qualifies me
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
JuuS
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Kinda hard to put a suit in a briefcase! People who carry these are usually wannabe execs.

Take a look at Rimowa.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
Thanks for the fast responses! I'll check out the Tumi's. Had a brief look at the B&R's and I'm not sure I'm going to use it enough to justify the price. I bet it's worth it for the warranty to someone who flies all the time.

I was looking for something more "tactical." Meaning... something with useful compartments ... say cellphone/personal electronics, a separate compartment for a pair of shoes or perhaps a place for a wet swimsuit, whatever. Not something with a zipper and a cavity with wheels.
I'm getting away from wheels since they only work inside of buildings and not on the street and add weight. The aeronaut also turns into a backpack, which I think is the best way to go for travel.

http://onebagger.squarespace.com/blo...er-review.html

If you want tactical....

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...Bag-12p920.htm

Last edited by M3Bahn; 08-26-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...30&FORM=IDFRIR

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I fly between 100,000 and 200,000 miles a year, so I would probably count as a "qualified" opinion. No question, without a doubt, buy a Briggs and Riley. Warrantied for life no matter what, well made (can't say the same for Tumi over the past decade) and various sizes/shapes that fit in the overheads...
Couldn't agree more; I also travel extensively for work, and would absolutely recommend Briggs & Riley. I snagged my latest carry on from their outlet store and it has been superb. Worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #14
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
currently using:

the new ones have a pocket on the outside to hold your boarding pass and to stuff shit in them for metal detectors..
light weight and the side rolling thing is somehting you'll wonder how you lived without..

as far as my "credentials" I travel every week a minimum of one time..
      08-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

With well over a million miles, AA Exec Plat, Concierge Key, Blah Blah Blah... It's Tumi or nothing, if you want quality luggage. Stick with their Alpha line, it's the original stuff and it's the same quality it's always been... I have about 10 pieces which I have acquired over the last 15 years and I have only had to send one in for repair after it appeared to have been ran over by a baggage truck.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
I have a medium size briggs and riley duffel which is the perfect carry on. Durable, understated, good size, and comes with a life warranty. I've said it before and will continue to, I don't think you're getting all that you pay for with Tumi, quality pieces they may be. In response to the post above, I have no experience with the Alpha line, I don't think.

Especially for carry-on, I would avoid anything with wheels, as I don't only find them to be a pain in the ass more than a convenience when dealing with the relatively light weight of a carry on bag, but also to be somewhat effeminate in the application as well (though I'm sure those who disagree won't be quick to argue with me - just my personal take on it).

Actually B&R calls it a "large travel satchel" ... whatever, IMO it's a medium sized duffel bag

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...256&sec=travel
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Especially for carry-on, I would avoid anything with wheels, as I don't only find them to be a pain in the ass more than a convenience when dealing with the relatively light weight of a carry on bag, but also to be somewhat effeminate in the application as well (though I'm sure those who disagree won't be quick to argue with me - just my personal take on it).
lol this would be the absolute last piece of advice i would offer. sounds like a nightmare to lug a non-wheeled bag around heathrow customs and immigration, jet lagged, without wanting to punch a baby. my carry-on often has some weight to it, as i usually put my laptop, a couple changes of clothes in case of lost baggage, coats depending on climate, and basic toiletries all in it. most, if not all, frequent travelers probably laugh at your archaic shoulder slung bag that isn't a laptop bag. plus, we don't want your bag hitting us as you head back to your seat. that's why 4-wheeled bags win.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #18
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
lol this would be the absolute last piece of advice i would offer. sounds like a nightmare to lug a non-wheeled bag around heathrow customs and immigration, jet lagged, without wanting to punch a baby. my carry-on often has some weight to it, as i usually put my laptop, a couple changes of clothes in case of lost baggage, coats depending on climate, and basic toiletries all in it. most, if not all, frequent travelers probably laugh at your archaic shoulder slung bag that isn't a laptop bag. plus, we don't want your bag hitting us as you head back to your seat. that's why 4-wheeled bags win.
Never had a problem, have my backpack for my electronics and shit I'll access during the flight, and with mainly clothes and toiletries in the stow away bag, I find myself fighting with the wheeled luggage, putting it in the overhead compartment, rolling it around the airport, etc..., when I could just be carrying a duffel that weighs well under 20lbs, while everyone else fights bumps with their little wheels. I've also never had a problem with hitting anyone with either of my carry ons, laugh all you want but it's what works for me

My much larger, heavier, checked baggage has wheels, as those bags are often pushing the weight limit.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Wheeled Bags & Other Bad Ideas

I'm often asked about the use of bags with built-in wheels, first popularized by the Travelpro Rollaboard series, and currently the best-selling type of luggage. Originally designed (in 1989, by a Northwest Airlines
pilot) for the use of airline flight crews, these bags are now heavily promoted for all types of travel. And if your journeys consist mostly of long airport & hotel corridors, or you have not yet learned to travel lightly, or you have physical limitations that reduce your ability to carry things, wheels may seem a tempting — even appropriate — solution. But there are no unmixed blessings.

http://www.onebag.com/wheeled-bags.html
      08-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Never had a problem, have my backpack for my electronics and shit I'll access during the flight, and with mainly clothes and toiletries in the stow away bag, I find myself fighting with the wheeled luggage, putting it in the overhead compartment, rolling it around the airport, etc..., when I could just be carrying a duffel that weighs well under 20lbs, while everyone else fights bumps with their little wheels. I've also never had a problem with hitting anyone with either of my carry ons, laugh all you want but it's what works for me

My much larger, heavier, checked baggage has wheels, as those bags are often pushing the weight limit.
James May: The wheels of enfeeblement

Wheeled luggage is fine for women, whose privilege is to take three times as much on a journey as is actually needed. Even the rufty tuftiest of birds is guilty of this one, and in any case they can no longer rely on modern man to carry it for them.

But blokes? Nothing testifies to the enfeeblement of our sex quite like a bag with wheels on it. At airports I see men who have quite clearly given up, tugging briefcases the size of a laptop on unfeasibly long handles. How can they possibly not carry them? It's pathetic. And it makes a horrible noise.

The rules are these. If you can't lift your case, you've packed too much stuff. Pick it up, for crying out loud. Wheels have more important things to do.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...eeblement.html
      08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #21
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

It's all about getting a sturdy bag that is as light as possible without compromising. I have a couple B&R pieces and highly recommend them. Best of all when anything happens (when you pay this much for luggage you expect perfect...just like your BMW) you can get it maintenance for free. So once every like 3 years or 500k miles the luggage will get a new zipper or something small, but it's bc I'm picky. For packing try smaller mesh bags that can zip up for underwear/ socks, and even get a large bag with a folding plastic insert for button down shirts to keep them perfectly pressed over the trip without the need for a folding garment bag.

I mostly use a 21" carry on for up to a week including extra shoes and charging cables.

If you're looking for super high tech loaded with compartments:

http://www.scottevest.com/

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #22
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I use a tumi alpha wheeled carryon garment bag and a tumi alpha briefcase.
Appreciate 0