E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Can a NEW car in the USA be sold to a Canadian days after it's purchase?

08-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Can a NEW car in the USA be sold to a Canadian days after it's purchase?

Being Canadian, I know too well how BMWNA wants to protect market value on their vehicles by banning the sale of new cars in the USA out of country.

So, my question today is: If I had a family member living in the USA, purchase, title and register a NEW car and then turn around a week later and sell it to me (Canadian), what would stop me when importing & transferring ownership?

Also, would the BMW dealership care or try to deny my warranty afterward?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

I don't understand your question. The car isn't new. As soon as your friend/relative in the US titles the car in their name, the car is owned, and therefore if its sold 1 day later or 20 years later it is sold used.

Just like you can buy a car from the dealership with 2,000 miles on it and its still "NEW" because it has never been titled.

I think you can definitely do what you want to. The person in the US will have to register the car in their name though and go through all the appropriate paperwork and processes as if they were going to keep the car.

So that might be a lot of headache. Like you would probably get taxed twice. If I buy a car I get taxed on it and then sell it 6 months later the guy who buys it pays taxes too.
      08-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
Like you would probably get taxed twice. If I buy a car I get taxed on it and then sell it 6 months later the guy who buys it pays taxes too.
Understood. I didn't think of the tax until after submitting. However, even with the tax, the car would still be cheaper! Stock M3's here in Canada are $11,000 more, never mind after options.

Wonder if somebody can "gift" a car to avoid duties, that would be interesting to know too.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

if it's a family member then yes...then they can put $0 on the amount sold, assuming the car is fully paid for to begin with. If not, then you're stuck paying double tax
      08-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
if it's a family member then yes...then they can put $0 on the amount sold, assuming the car is fully paid for to begin with. If not, then you're stuck paying double tax
Are you positive? Usually they look up the bluebook value and disregard what you claim to have paid.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

I'm not sure about canada but I bought my first car from my brother and I registered it without having to pay for taxes, just the fees and smog...albeit it was awhile back and it wasn't a $50k car
      08-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrewt View Post
Are you positive? Usually they look up the bluebook value and disregard what you claim to have paid.
positive. I just sold a car. It goes by what you sold it for cause I had to help the guy get it registered.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
positive. I just sold a car. It goes by what you sold it for cause I had to help the guy get it registered.
DMVs have a system that shows what they "think" the car is worth. Some states may use that system in different ways. If you buy a car from your family member for $1,000 and the system says the car is worth $60,000 they might have an issue with that.