E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Another pad question

08-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 (his) 2011 e90 (hers)

Another pad question

I have a Griot's Garage DA polisher and wanted a pad suggestion from the experts.

If I'm wanting to just wax the car, but also have a bit of polishing action, what pad could I use? Griot's just offers two pads. The polishing and the the waxing ones. The red waxing pad is too soft for a one step process and has no bite to it. After my clay bar, I'm still wanting to get off the bug splatters and very minor abrasions, etc but I don't want to spend all day polishing every time.

Lake Country offers about 7 pads, but I can't see where they suggest one for an all-in-one job. Also Detailed Image has their's as well but would like to know if there is a pad that is in between a polish and wax.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Brentster; 08-22-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

IMO White LC pad is probably the most universal has some cut for one steps but still can finish down a product that does finish nicely. My second would be a LC Grey/black but I don't think you'll get much if any correction no matterwhat you use with that pad. Those two pads are the staples IMO.

Last edited by Bobble; 08-22-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Can you give some more info on what you're trying to remove? When you say you want to get rid of bug splatters what do you mean? Is the paint marred or etched after the bird droppings have been washed away? What kind of mild abrasions are you seeing?

Also how often are you claying? Normally you'll want to do a full polish if you are claying, it's not something that should be part of a normal was routine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Can you give some more info on what you're trying to remove? When you say you want to get rid of bug splatters what do you mean? Is the paint marred or etched after the bird droppings have been washed away? What kind of mild abrasions are you seeing?

Also how often are you claying? Normally you'll want to do a full polish if you are claying, it's not something that should be part of a normal was routine.
When I say bug splatters, I literally mean the bugs' guts that are smashed into the leading edge of the hood. A clay bar won't take care of these and I'm not wanting to put a solvent on the paint if I can avoid it.

When I say, minor abrasions, I mean a purse bumping up against a door and leaving a light mark. Or the car coming into contact with things on the road, like light tar, etc. Just the minor daily driving events that occur.

I used to use a Craftsman orbital, and with its terry cloth pad, it would polish all that stuff out as I was using a wax.

Now that I'm using the Griot's waxing pad, its too soft to get any of that stuff out.

As far as frequency of claying, we're talking twice a year. I'm also doing other parties's cars (friends and family) and wanting to produce a good product, but not necessarily spend all day.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentster View Post
When I say bug splatters, I literally mean the bugs' guts that are smashed into the leading edge of the hood. A clay bar won't take care of these and I'm not wanting to put a solvent on the paint if I can avoid it.

When I say, minor abrasions, I mean a purse bumping up against a door and leaving a light mark. Or the car coming into contact with things on the road, like light tar, etc. Just the minor daily driving events that occur.

I used to use a Craftsman orbital, and with its terry cloth pad, it would polish all that stuff out as I was using a wax.

Now that I'm using the Griot's waxing pad, its too soft to get any of that stuff out.
Back away from the polisher! No seriously, you DO NOT want to use your DA on actual bird crap or bug guts. If you do that you're basically spinning abrasiveness on your paint, a really bad idea. the polisher should only be used once the paint is free of debris and contaminants.

Your wash stage should really be taking care of bug guts, especially if the car has been waxed before, you might benefit more from a pre-soak than anything else. After that your clay bar really should be removing them so something is wrong with your wash and clay process, can you give some details on what you use for both of those because something is awry.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep

I appreciate your advice on the bugs and I'll certainly heed it. I wouldn't use a polisher on a front end full of bugs. I should have said half a dozen 1/50th inch "bug remnants". We're talking specs that don't get cleaned in the wash or clay process.

I'm really just wanting to have a recommendation of a WAX pad that has a little bit of cut to it. Sounds like the white is the winner.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your advice on the bugs and I'll certainly heed it. I wouldn't use a polisher on a front end full of bugs. I should have said half a dozen 1/50th inch "bug remnants". We're talking specs that don't get cleaned in the wash or clay process.

I'm really just wanting to have a recommendation of a WAX pad that has a little bit of cut to it. Sounds like the white is the winner.
There should be absolutely zero bugs after clay.

As far as the pad you still need to use a product with some cut to it, a straight up wax isn't going to remove defects you need some kind of all-in-one product to do that. What product are you planning on using?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
As far as the pad you still need to use a product with some cut to it, a straight up wax isn't going to remove defects you need some kind of all-in-one product to do that. What product are you planning on using?
I'd certainly like to use a sealer of some sort. McGuire's NXT 2.0 claims to be a bit of an all in one and I've had great results with it - after I've polished.

What recomendations would you have for an all-in-one? Something that's easy to remove would be nice. The NXT is a beast get off without leaving a haze.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Not sure how claying is not removing bug splatters completely? But I use PB Bug Squash in a 3:1 dilution as a pre soak when washing the truck and it is always full of bug and tree droppings. Comes off every time in a wash. Clay should remove everything is if done right, As far as the other stuff mentioned, a 1 step cleaner will take care of all that, you'll need a mild polish maybe like a megs 205 if you don't have persistent swirls or scratches. I stand by the pad selection of some white/black(grey) and a red for wax/sealant for just the stuff mentioned.

Again IMO some Klasse AIO on a white pad will clean up minor clay marring and some scuffs(not scratches or swirls though). If you need to clean up those mild polish which can finish up nicely (M205 or Menz 106) followed by your wax or sealant. Polish/seal once a year, clean-clay paint/reseal every 6 months. If using wax same schedule just need to reapply wax every two months. Couple white, couple black/grey and a couple red to start.

You did not mention the color of the car nor the size of the backing plate on the GG you are using as those can influence the choice slightly.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'd certainly like to use a sealer of some sort. McGuire's NXT 2.0 claims to be a bit of an all in one and I've had great results with it - after I've polished.

What recomendations would you have for an all-in-one? Something that's easy to remove would be nice. The NXT is a beast get off without leaving a haze.
I don't have personal experience with it because I don't use AIO products but Klasse AIO is supposed to be quite good. Skip the NXT, it wears off insanely fast and is a PITA to boot.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...need-a-bottle/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

NXT is a pain to get off and finicky. It stains trim and does not last all that long. Klasse is a good AIO or paint cleanser but do not kid yourself if that is your only means of protection for your paint. What do you want to spend and effort or time you want to invest. What color is the car?

In a simple viewpoint you could get two products for less than $40 which would give you enough for a dozen applications which would last one car like 5 years. Klasse AIO as a paint prep/cleaner and Collonite 845 as the LSP both after claying. Looks good, lasts long and protects well. All liquids easy to use with a DA. Both proven old school products that simply work.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #12
dday
Captain
Rep

Brentster, what are you using for a wax today? If you properly apply a sealant bugs will come off easily in future washes, you really shouldn't not be using your buffer more than a few times/year. I feel like you might be trying to solve a problem that's caused by poor process technique. Can you detail what you currently use and how often you use different types of products?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Brentster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the tips. Here's a pic of my car with NXT.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #14
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

For AW I'll stand by my Klasse AIO and Collonite 845 as a one step and lsp combo. Cheap and looks good and lasts up to 5 6 months with two coats of 845. Also White/black/Red pads in the size you need based on backing plate. Clay go OTC Clay Magic or Mothers works fine(Walmart is usually chaepest).
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
I have a Griot's Garage DA polisher and wanted a pad suggestion from the experts.

If I'm wanting to just wax the car, but also have a bit of polishing action, what pad could I use? Griot's just offers two pads. The polishing and the the waxing ones. The red waxing pad is too soft for a one step process and has no bite to it. After my clay bar, I'm still wanting to get off the bug splatters and very minor abrasions, etc but I don't want to spend all day polishing every time.

Lake Country offers about 7 pads, but I can't see where they suggest one for an all-in-one job. Also Detailed Image has their's as well but would like to know if there is a pad that is in between a polish and wax.

Thanks in advance.
Foam Pads I - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...am-pads-i.html

Foam Pads II - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451155

Appreciate 0