E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Meguiars D300 Help!

08-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Meguiars D300 Help!

Hello, I need some help from the detail pros in this forum!

First of all, my car's paint is Metallic Sapphire Black. I'm using a Porter Cable 7424xp

For the past few days, I've been trying to get rid of some light swirls I have on my car from dealer-washes with the Meguiars DA Microfiber system. However, I found that the swirls will not even budge from the D300 compound + cutting disc.

My process:

1. Prime the pad
2. Speed 4.5 on the PC
3. 3 passes of moderate pressure (let the pad spin approximately once per second) with slow arm speed (a bit slower than an inch per second)
4. 3 passes of light pressure with normal arm speed
5. Gently buff off with microfiber
6. Clean the pad after every section
7. Inspect the paint and if there are still swirls (which there were of course lol) go at it again.

The paint has been well prepped (including clay + ipa wipedown).

I have even tried edging the pad on some sections. Tried every speed 4~5 on PC.

Do I have to buy some surbuf pads to tackle these? (The swirls honestly are quite light.. Only had one dealer-wash when I had my car delivered from the dealer. No finger nail catching whatsoever)

Any tips are welcome,
Thanks for the help!

edit: or maybe 105 on the cutting disc?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

orange pad and powerfinish handles light swirling in sapphire black in my experience. D300 and cutting disc should no problem as well.

I cant comment on the MF system as I havent used it, maybe Marc can chime in as I "think" he has played with it
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
orange pad and powerfinish handles light swirling in sapphire black in my experience. D300 and cutting disc should no problem as well.

I cant comment on the MF system as I havent used it, maybe Marc can chime in as I "think" he has played with it
Thanks for the reply.

The only polishing system I have right now is the DA microfiber system. It would be best for me to solve the problem with what I have currently as much as I can. Would definitely have to consider orange pads/other polishes though if no techniques works for me with the D300..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry418 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The only polishing system I have right now is the DA microfiber system. It would be best for me to solve the problem with what I have currently as much as I can. Would definitely have to consider orange pads/other polishes though if no techniques works for me with the D300..
This is weird. I used this system on my Alpine White (very hard clearcoat) and was able to get everything out fairly easily. Sure some sections required 2 passes.

Are you properly "priming" the pads?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
This is weird. I used this system on my Alpine White (very hard clearcoat) and was able to get everything out fairly easily. Sure some sections required 2 passes.

Are you properly "priming" the pads?
Wow, that really is weird. I wonder why I'm having no luck?

I followed this for priming the pad: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ishing-system/
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Your damage could just be that heavy / deep. I'd recommend trying M105 with the mf cutting pads.

Worst case scenario, you're looking to make an improvement, which I'm sure you are.

Also keep in mind the mf pads get a lot of build up fairly quickly, and when you clean them, they need to be thoroughly cleaned.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
noobster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

You said the swirls r light? Marring from the D300 possible? Have you used the D301 afterwards? Its supposed to be a fine polish/wax to correct light swirls
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
henry418
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Your damage could just be that heavy / deep. I'd recommend trying M105 with the mf cutting pads.

Worst case scenario, you're looking to make an improvement, which I'm sure you are.

Also keep in mind the mf pads get a lot of build up fairly quickly, and when you clean them, they need to be thoroughly cleaned.
I'll definitely try the M105.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobster View Post
You said the swirls r light? Marring from the D300 possible? Have you used the D301 afterwards? Its supposed to be a fine polish/wax to correct light swirls
Yes I have tried the D301 afterwards. It didn't seem to do much..

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll try using the D300 + MF cutting pad combo one more time and if it fails again, I guess I'll have to buy the M105 for stronger cut.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
maf330xi
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330xi

any updates henry?
Appreciate 0