lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
You Need a Budget

Have any of you guys ever used the budgeting software called YNAB - You Need a Budget? I've been using it the past several months and I have to tell you it is a pretty amazing tool (see: www.youneedabudget.com).

My girlfriend and I make a relatively comfortable living. But every couple of months we would ask ourselves where is all that money going...? Sure, we budget. We try and pay attention to our costs, but at the end of the day, getting a solid plan together for our spending has eluded us.

There are a lot of great tools out there for personal finance: Mint is great for seeing transactions that occurred in the past. Pageonce is easy to see transactions and bills. Quicken, Microsoft Money and the others all have their place as transaction tools. I used to use an excel spreadsheet back in the day. But the concept behind YNAB and their four rules ( 1. Give every dollar a job, 2. Save for a rainy day, 3. Roll with the punches, 4. Stop living paycheck to paycheck) is really unique.

And, no, I don't work for YNAB or have any association with them whatsoever (other than using the software).

So do any of you use YNAB? Or any other personal finance / budgeting software?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
i pay all bills and for dinners when we go out. girlfriend pays for all groceries and gives me some cash towards rent. it works out fine for both of us without budgeting.

i do use software called Chronicle that helps me to stay on top of my bills and keeps track how much i pay for what. it helped me to realize that over the past 2 years i spent nearly $3,500 on fucking cable, which neither one of us watches so I cancelled it. good riddance
      08-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
i pay all bills and for dinners when we go out. girlfriend pays for all groceries and gives me some cash towards rent. it works out fine for both of us without budgeting.

i do use software called Chronicle that helps me to stay on top of my bills and keeps track how much i pay for what. it helped me to realize that over the past 2 years i spent nearly $3,500 on fucking cable, which neither one of us watches so I cancelled it. good riddance
I've never seen Chronicle - thanks for the link. Looks great.

God, I hate paying for cable. I'm afraid to see what I've paid Comcast (the worst company ever) in the last five years.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

Big fan of Mint. I use info from that input to an Excel spreadsheet. This and some % targets gives me a good budget. Then I go and fuck it all up by getting a new watch, meth, etc.
      08-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellfish View Post
Big fan of Mint. I use info from that input to an Excel spreadsheet. This and some % targets gives me a good budget. Then I go and fuck it all up by getting a new watch, meth, etc.
Hahahahahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
rac1
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 328i (its slow)

Meth enables you to work longer hours thereby increasing revenue. How does your Excel spreadsheet factor in that variable?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

I'm still trying to figure out a way around fucking Comcast here in DC area. My monthly cable and internet bill is $100. I've been a subcriber at that rate for 3 years now..$3600. Yeah I tried cut a little out at a time, like I have my own internet modem ($10/month) and I cancelled my sports package during the off season ($10/month), but man, there is no way to get the rate below even $80 if you want HD tv.

And yes, I call them about every 6 months to lower my bill to the current promotion, I get it, but again, can't get it anywhere below $80.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1 View Post
Meth enables you to work longer hours thereby increasing revenue. How does your Excel spreadsheet factor in that variable?
take meth
Profit
????????
      08-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I'm still trying to figure out a way around fucking Comcast here in DC area. My monthly cable and internet bill is $100. I've been a subcriber at that rate for 3 years now..$3600. Yeah I tried cut a little out at a time, like I have my own internet modem ($10/month) and I cancelled my sports package during the off season ($10/month), but man, there is no way to get the rate below even $80 if you want HD tv.

And yes, I call them about every 6 months to lower my bill to the current promotion, I get it, but again, can't get it anywhere below $80.
I am right there with you. I just don't think it's possible. They have us all by the balls. I tried to go cable free once and my bill actually increased (for just the internet) because it wasn't part of a "package."

So frustrating. I've basically given up.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

My Comcast bill was $120.00 a month without the hockey package, got rid of it and got Roku for one room and a digital antenna for the bedroom. Don't miss cable one bit. Good f'n riddance Comcast!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

My budgeting software came with big boobs, nice legs and a rocking ass!

I married a CPA. /
      08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
I am right there with you. I just don't think it's possible. They have us all by the balls. I tried to go cable free once and my bill actually increased (for just the internet) because it wasn't part of a "package."

So frustrating. I've basically given up.
so there's a "sale" for Direct TV right now, lots of "freebies", i priced it out, for me to quit comcast package, my internet will be $40 a month. The DirectTV package will cost me $40 a month including HD rental, so at the end of the day, I still have to deal with the hassle of installation to save $20 a month, and the Direct TV is the same crap, promotion for a year etc.. not sure if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
My budgeting software came with big boobs, nice legs and a rocking ass!

I married a CPA. /
Uhmmm... You know what I'm going to say next, right?

I'm in accounting as well but don't know if that helps with my spending AT ALL. Asset rich sure feels nice.
      08-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #14
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

I think the government should purchase this software
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMSTUNING View Post
I think the government should purchase this software
LOL like they would even bother to use it if they had it ahaha
      08-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

that program would crash from all the 0's.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #17
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@EMSTUNING View Post
that program would crash from all the 0's.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL so true thats fucking funny... there isnt a screen nor a multi-monitor setup big enough to deal with that situation. it needs to be broken down in sections.

and whats the point? we are fucked anyways. Heads of government know that all debt will essentially go away once everyone unifies land and law, and i think this is why they dont give a fuck about how they are spending. USA knows they are going to merge with Canada and Mexico, and this will ease the pain until the final stage where unifying all 4 regions of the world.
      08-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL so true thats fucking funny... there isnt a screen nor a multi-monitor setup big enough to deal with that situation. it needs to be broken down in sections.

and whats the point? we are fucked anyways. Heads of government know that all debt will essentially go away once everyone unifies land and law, and i think this is why they dont give a fuck about how they are spending. USA knows they are going to merge with Canada and Mexico, and this will ease the pain until the final stage where unifying all 4 regions of the world.
You need to cut down on your weed consumption.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #19
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Yall better start tapping into the neighbors cable LMAO...

or use the internet... and project that shit on a tv via that cute little cable coming from your laptop.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Uhmmm... You know what I'm going to say next, right?

I'm in accounting as well but don't know if that helps with my spending AT ALL. Asset rich sure feels nice.
I know better than to do that in OT.....