2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Snowtire choices

07-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Snowtire choices

There aren't a lot of choices in the USA on snowtires in runflat the size required for the GT (base suspension, i.e., 18"): Dunlop, Michelin, and Pirelli each make one along with Nokian. While the Nokian probably is the best in deep snow, test results imply it's not the best on dry roads (which we have here a lot of the winter). The Pirelli is a low-rolling resistance tire, which should give better mileage. It's still a couple of months before these will be needed, but I'm probably going to get some in the next 6-weeks, just to ensure I can actually get some. With Canada mandating snow tires in many places, the last year or so it has been tough to actually find them in certain sizes if you wait too long.

Anyone have any experience with any of these, and able to offer opinions?
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D RunOnFlat
Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 ZP
Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero Serie II RFT

I've run the PA2 before (they don't make the PA3 in runflat, yet) and it was decent, but haven't run either a Dunlop or Pirelli for awhile.

Other choices I'm not aware of?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I have Dunlop WS 3D RF and I am in Canada.

Overall, very good winter tires but they are performance winter tires thus having to give & take from ice/deep snow traction. I believe the Dunlop will have an updated version of the 3D winter tires with a 4D.

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/127/21976.html

If you live in a urban area where snow/ice gets cleared within 24 hrs from the City plow, I would suggest you to get the performance type of winter tires as during dry & cold weather, they tend to have a pretty good grip and less noisy in highway driving. Wheras if you choose strictly a deep snow/ice traction tires, they are extremely good under those condition but during the cold dry days, traction is a bit below par.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

The 4D looks interesting, but it does not appear to be made in the size needed...maybe next year, but then that would be too late. Had to go to the EU website...the NA sites don't show it at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

Usually the winter tires info (for North America) will be available around late October. At least you know every major tire manuf. will have some forms of improvement of their winter tires every year.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

I was very happy with the Blizzak LM60 245/45x19 run flat tires I put on a spare set of wheels last year. I did some 8,000 miles on them in December / January between Illinois and New York with no issues.
      10-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Uriah
Rep
Drives: VW

With the snow we just got (October !!!) I thought I'd bump this up.. I'm a total ignoramous when it comes to tires/snow/etc and my previous car (VW Touareg) was a beast in the snow (and anywhere else)...

I have the 535xi GT w/ sports so am all but convinced I'll need new tires... looking for recommendations...

1. Are you guys getting the new tires with new wheels or installed on the OEM's? pros/cons?
2. Anyone here know if the BMW tire warranty covers these new tires/wheels too?

Uri
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
With the snow we just got (October !!!) I thought I'd bump this up.. I'm a total ignoramous when it comes to tires/snow/etc and my previous car (VW Touareg) was a beast in the snow (and anywhere else)...

I have the 535xi GT w/ sports so am all but convinced I'll need new tires... looking for recommendations...

1. Are you guys getting the new tires with new wheels or installed on the OEM's? pros/cons?
2. Anyone here know if the BMW tire warranty covers these new tires/wheels too?

Uri
1. Choice of snow tires on same wheels comes down to inconvenience of demount/remount. You also need to be able to get snow tires that fit on same rims (not good choices if you have 20" rims).
2. BMW warranty does not cover different tires or rims but a good package deal should come with warranty on them.

I found Tire Rack excellent in terms of advice, selection and delivery (with warranty). Important to also ensure rims come with TPM (tire pressure monitor) sensors.
      10-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
Uriah
Rep
Drives: VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
1. Choice of snow tires on same wheels comes down to inconvenience of demount/remount. You also need to be able to get snow tires that fit on same rims (not good choices if you have 20" rims).
2. BMW warranty does not cover different tires or rims but a good package deal should come with warranty on them.

I found Tire Rack excellent in terms of advice, selection and delivery (with warranty). Important to also ensure rims come with TPM (tire pressure monitor) sensors.
Relic - thanks man... will look into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

I bought my package from Tire Rack, which included the tires, wheels, and sensors. The wheel I bought was able to also use OEM BMW center caps, which I thought was a nice extra. The only thing is that the HS wheel lock key is too big in diameter to fit into the hole, so I ended up just using the supplied bolts. I put them on a couple of days ago, so don't have much to say yet (it takes at least about 200-miles to scrub off the smooth mold surface). They ride fine so far, and are a little noisier. That may change as the initial breakdown is over...I bought the Michelin PA2's on an Enkei wheel.
Appreciate 0