E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > K& N air filter

04-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
wagonmaster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi Touring

Question K& N air filter

Anyone run K & N air filters? I've always run them, but I've had mostly trucks. Any recommendations not to? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I did on my e46 and it always seemed to run well. I'm sure I will on my e92 when I get it and when K&N makes one for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
I have the drop-in filter. I can't say with certainty if there has been a noticeable benefit. I think at best I can appreciate more intake sound.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #4
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
does the air filter help also with the intake sound, cause i thought only the cold air intake will help.
      04-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
Kung Pao
The Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci w/ ZHP

I've run K&N on multiple cars, both drop-in filters and a full short-ram intake. They all do the same thing for the most part, which is make the engine run a hair smoother and the intake sucking sound becomes a little more noticable. Sound from the engine isn't changed a whole lot, maybe a little bit more growl. It's a nice addition though
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Yesterday I had my 328i placed with a K&N filter drop-in and the engine seems to rev more faster, I think better air is coming in. Plus I took off the carbon filter so that totally allowed better flow. The stock air box is good enough. It practically is cold air intake since the air dam is coming directly from outside. I wish there was a way to encorporate the vent for the brake to go into the air box instead but then that would cause the brakes to work unevenly. It may create more deposits in the engine but if I change my oil frequently then the intended 15k miles, I think I am good.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
aapriadi
Colonel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 AW 320i

i have a question: advanced auto parts sells this filter and i wonder if i should let them install it as well? they will do it for free if i buy it from them, the store is close to home and i've talked to some of the guys there
      04-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
aapriadi...dude, its an easy 30 min (at most) DIY

I'd do it myself, so I can baby that sensitive air sensor.

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #9
Kung Pao
The Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci w/ ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapriadi View Post
i have a question: advanced auto parts sells this filter and i wonder if i should let them install it as well? they will do it for free if i buy it from them, the store is close to home and i've talked to some of the guys there
I'd do it myself, it takes like 20 minutes

EDIT: I see this was already posted
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
simp0man
Cambodia
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
It is very simple. Just be very careful with the air sensor, just a little lift to get that snap up and pull it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I have the drop-in K&N filter......the only difference is +2 mpg.

Instead of getting 23 mpg....I'm getting something in the neighborhood of 25+ mpg
      04-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simp0man View Post
I wish there was a way to encorporate the vent for the brake to go into the air box instead but then that would cause the brakes to work unevenly. It may create more deposits in the engine but if I change my oil frequently then the intended 15k miles, I think I am good.

Ksfrogman did this to his: "salt shaker mod"
and this is what the DINAN system is.
      04-16-2007, 12:47 AM   #13
simp0man
Cambodia
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Awsome tip, Chesmu!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
simp0man
Cambodia
Rep

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
I have the drop-in K&N filter......the only difference is +2 mpg.

Instead of getting 23 mpg....I'm getting something in the neighborhood of 25+ mpg
Shoot, I've been averaging 23mpg that is with city and highway. So am I loosing some horsepower after this mod?:mad:
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:06 AM   #15
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

I hve it on my current 06 E90. Any how, I do not really feel anything. I guess it just b/c it does not increase that much MPH. So.. Good LUCK!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
Max_!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

You don't want a K&N.

You think you do but you don't. I'll tell you why:

1) A K&N filter will let more dust and dirt pass than a paper filter. (Says so right on their website). More dirt means more wear. How much more wear depends on how much dust you drive through. Of course, ancient design truck engines are less likely to suffer quickly than close-tolerance modern engines. You can send an oil sample to a local lab before and after a filter change and ask for the percentage of wear metals in the oil. With a K&N filter, there will be more sand and more metal in your oil. The sand and that metal has to come from somewhere.

2) A K&N will happily pass grit particles larger than the width of the oil film in your engine bearings - again, they don't hide this, it's right on their website. Together with #1, this spells disaster. The dust particles first sand down the intake valves, then some of those stick to the cylinder wall and get scraped into the sump. Some of these get into your oil filter. If enough of these clog the oil filter, the bypass opens, pumping grit at high pressure into your bearings. In relative sizes, it's boulders gauging out canyons in your bearings.

3) If you have a turbo, these dust particles impact the blades at high velocity, sanding them down, causing imbalance. They also get into the bearings. Both cause performance loss and turbo failure. This is why cars with performance filters have so many turbo failures, it's not always because of the higher boost as many think.

4) All K&N filters will loose some oil, and oil covered particles, into the intake. If you have MAF, these particles coat the wire or tile and reduce it's ability to accurately gauge the mass of air, causing performance problems such as rough running and increased milage. These particles also stick to intake valves, wedging them open and sanding down the valve seats, causing performance loss.

5) A K&N filter does not improve performance. Yes, if you cut off half the intake and replace it with a cone filter you will probably see a performance increase but this has nothing to do with magical filter material - You removed half the intake! A BMW has a properly dimensioned intake duct and filter. If you measure the power output on a rolling road and you replace the stock paper filter with a K&N or even remove the filter alltogether and leave the filter box empty, you will get exactly the same result each time.

Federal Mogul - manufacturer of engine components - found that over half of all engine failures it investigated where caused by ingested dirt.

Of course, the engine won't crap out in the first 500 miles, so by the time the wear becomes obvious, 40K or so, you've probably sold the car or you attribute the drivability problems to other causes.

Now you can make an informed choice.

My advice to anyone: use a stock paper filter and a stock oil filter and replace them often.

Max
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
You don't want a K&N.

1) A K&N filter will let more dust and dirt pass than a paper filter. (Says so right on their website). More dirt means more wear. How much more wear depends on how much dust you drive through. Of course, ancient design truck engines are less likely to suffer quickly than close-tolerance modern engines. You can send an oil sample to a local lab before and after a filter change and ask for the percentage of wear metals in the oil. With a K&N filter, there will be more sand and more metal in your oil. The sand and that metal has to come from somewhere.

2) A K&N will happily pass grit particles larger than the width of the oil film in your engine bearings - again, they don't hide this, it's right on their website. Together with #1, this spells disaster. The dust particles first sand down the intake valves, then some of those stick to the cylinder wall and get scraped into the sump. Some of these get into your oil filter. If enough of these clog the oil filter, the bypass opens, pumping grit at high pressure into your bearings. In relative sizes, it's boulders gauging out canyons in your bearings.

3) If you have a turbo, these dust particles impact the blades at high velocity, sanding them down, causing imbalance. They also get into the bearings. Both cause performance loss and turbo failure. This is why cars with performance filters have so many turbo failures, it's not always because of the higher boost as many think.

4) All K&N filters will loose some oil, and oil covered particles, into the intake. If you have MAF, these particles coat the wire or tile and reduce it's ability to accurately gauge the mass of air, causing performance problems such as rough running and increased milage. These particles also stick to intake valves, wedging them open and sanding down the valve seats, causing performance loss.

5) A K&N filter does not improve performance. Yes, if you cut off half the intake and replace it with a cone filter you will probably see a performance increase but this has nothing to do with magical filter material - You removed half the intake! A BMW has a properly dimensioned intake duct and filter. If you measure the power output on a rolling road and you replace the stock paper filter with a K&N or even remove the filter alltogether and leave the filter box empty, you will get exactly the same result each time.

Federal Mogul - manufacturer of engine components - found that over half of all engine failures it investigated where caused by ingested dirt.

Of course, the engine won't crap out in the first 500 miles, so by the time the wear becomes obvious, 40K or so, you've probably sold the car or you attribute the drivability problems to other causes.

My advice to anyone: use a stock paper filter and a stock oil filter and replace them often.

Max
With this info........if anyone is getting rid of their GruppeM with K&N filter.....

I'll take it off your hand for $125.......my maximum offer.
      04-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
E90330iS
Major General
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
With this info........if anyone is getting rid of their GruppeM with K&N filter.....

I'll take it off your hand for $125.......my maximum offer.
Hahaha! I remember I bought a K&N filter also but I read that it lets more dirt go in the engine so I sold it to my friend without even reinstalling it
      04-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #19
Biemdreamer
Ferris Bueller
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_! View Post
You don't want a K&N.

Max
Appreciate the food for thought. However, given all of the disadvantages stated above, why would DINAN include an K&N with their ram intake? I am under the impression that anything DINAN does is endorsed/accepted by BMW and won't void warranty.....seems that allowing an air filter to be used which really would damage a close tolerance engine would be a no no for warranty issues.....Just me thinking with my fingers on the keyboard....any thoughts?
E90 328i 2007 Arctic Metallic Black Leather Light Poplar Wood Logic 7 Sirius Xenon HID Heated Seats Folding Rear Seat Mods: 162's/Huper Optick Ceramic 30%/Blacklines/Sunglass Tray replaced Ashtray/Debadged/iPod Interface/H&R Rear Antisway/ZSPSuspension/SS Braided Brakelines/ROGUE 15mm spacers/Hard wired V1
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #20
NaTuReB0Y