E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Simple yet effective tips...

05-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
¶Pho€nix
Velocity Vector
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Simple yet effective tips...

This is based on the cars I've owned and taken care in the past. I'm into detailing and I've used a lot of car products for protecting, detailing, and surface repair. Not here to endorse or criticize any of them. But here are just some of my simple tips I've learned over the years...

1. Dust is the #1 enemy of anything that's leather, vinyl, or plastic. Over time collecting on the surface, dust absorbs the oils on these surfaces and dries them up. Keep a piece of Swiffer Dry or Dust Wipes somewhere and wipe the dash and other places that gather dust every now and then. It doesn't take that much effort and any surface protector product you put lasts a lot longer. Also, don't let dust gather too much on the door/hood gaskets. Protect them with something thick such as tire gloss. Remember to clean the surfaces first before applying the protectant. This removes any remaining dust when the protectant dries.

2. Never slam the door! Over a long period of hard closing, the door mechanisms (hinge, latch, other internal parts) loosen up faster than when they are properly closed. To get used to closing the door properly from the outside, keep your hand on the door while pushing it shut. Don't let the door's momentum close itself. Same goes when closing the door from the inside.

3. Right after coming home from the dealership, your car will most likely have a light coating of polish the dealership uses. After your first car wash (using a non-silicone based soap), start applying your wax of choice (I swear by Zaino). The less the amount of foreign material on the car's surface (days after getting it fresh from the dealership), the most likely you will get the best results from your wax.

4. Invest on a hood-protecting device. A bra, a clear adhesive shield, etc. Nothing depreciates the front of the car faster than rocks being hurled on it from the freeway. Same goes for headlight protection. The more pristine the headlamp lenses are, the better time it is to put the protectors on as small dings and chips will not show underneath the protective layer.

5. No matter how dirty the car is, never rub dust when it's dry. Wet the car thoroughly first as well as the rag you're going to use to clean it.
      05-10-2005, 10:18 PM   #2
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for sharing these helpful tips Phoenix. These will go far in keeping one's new E90 in optimal condition.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Also try try try to avoid the automatic car scratches they call the car wash. The automatic car scratches in the area by me all use brushes in the beginning to loosen the dirty and then the safe fabric arm things. Argh it so painful when I see them use the same brush to scrub the cars rims and then onto somebody else's hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

My friend drove his newly (a month or two) repainted muscle car through the car wash once and the the water jets actually blew off his paint! There were huge areas throughout the entire car where the paint chipped off from the water jets. Of course, he blamed the shop that did the work, but still...I think I'll do it the old fashioned way with a garden hose, bucket, and sponge.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2005, 11:55 PM   #5
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Lazy is as lazy does
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #6
¶Pho€nix
Velocity Vector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
My friend drove his newly (a month or two) repainted muscle car through the car wash once and the the water jets actually blew off his paint! There were huge areas throughout the entire car where the paint chipped off from the water jets. Of course, he blamed the shop that did the work, but still...I think I'll do it the old fashioned way with a garden hose, bucket, and sponge.
Damn, that's either one hell of a crappy paint job or a hell of a car wash.

That reminds me of tip #6: Have a soft body like Pam Anderson to wash your car.
      05-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
alexruby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325 i

What is the best wax for a 2006 325I jet black bimmer
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
¶Pho€nix
Velocity Vector
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexruby
Zaino
      05-23-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
fusionnv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexruby
I beg to differ on the Zanio one. http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

Souverän I think looks the best on Dark colors like black. It will make your car like a swimming pool that you can just dive into and start swimming.

Having fun driving it.

Last edited by fusionnv; 05-23-2005 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0