E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Plasti dip for exterior mod

07-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
stevejiange92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport Black

Plasti dip for exterior mod

Anyone from Rockies/Midwest forum used Plasti Dip for exterior mods? It's basically rubber spray paint, which is total reversible. You may easily peeling it off like a jimmy, lol. I read some post and found that you could use that to black out chrome trim for your grille, window trim, badge, wheels, side marker, etc. Pretty interesting and cheap mods. The concern is if it may damage the chrome once you decide to peel it off. I m thinking about doing it on my grille for the new 335 that is coming in this Monday. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
E92_PewPew
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 335xi

Yup, I used plastic dip for side markers, kidney grills, and bottom mesh. Just don't put too many coats on the grill, it'll get tacky and things will cling to it. I put on way too many coats and was too lazy to redo it. It can be removed too, but again....I was lazy and the front bumper was already put back onto the car.

Oh, put a couple of clear coats afterward...it helps - i used matte clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
stevejiange92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_PewPew View Post
Yup, I used plastic dip for side markers, kidney grills, and bottom mesh. Just don't put too many coats on the grill, it'll get tacky and things will cling to it. I put on way too many coats and was too lazy to redo it. It can be removed too, but again....I was lazy and the front bumper was already put back onto the car.

Oh, put a couple of clear coats afterward...it helps - i used matte clear coat.
Cool, so did you use the matte black first? I assume the matte clear is also Plasti Dip? Lol, somehow I felt that Plasti Dip on BMW is kinda ghetto. But, whata heck, we got the awsome cars. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
E92_PewPew
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92 335xi

Yup, had to be black, since my car is monaco blue...plus i couldn't find any other colors..
I used Krylon matte clear coat.. ~$4 at wally world
Non-sense, nothing ghetto about it no one the wiser
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
twinturbopg
How you like them apples?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
not ghetto...i did my grills, eyelids, and rear taillight...pix are in my garage. if you do it right..it will look like a vinyl wrap.

just clean those grills first and make sure its smooth and dry. and apply think coats and let it dry in between at least 20mins.