E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replacing folding mirrors with non-folding ones?

07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Replacing folding mirrors with non-folding ones?

Regarding my side mirrors and I\'m wondering if I can just get the non-folding ones to replace the ones on my car, which came with folding mirrors. I never once used the feature and I don\'t think I ever will.

Will this cause any problems? I don\'t think it would.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

You may get some sort of an error code since something electrical that's supposed to be there is gone. That said, why would you go through the trouble and expense? If you don't want to fold them then don't fold them. I like to fold mine in parking lots - just gives that much more space around my car...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
You may get some sort of an error code since something electrical that's supposed to be there is gone. That said, why would you go through the trouble and expense? If you don't want to fold them then don't fold them. I like to fold mine in parking lots - just gives that much more space around my car...
Replacing them isn't an option. I have to either go with the auto dimming + folding ones or just the auto dimming ones. The price difference is a few hundred bucks, so why pay a few hundred for a feature I will never use? (unless it gives me codes or is incompatible)

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER

Last edited by Legion5; 07-15-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5 View Post
Replacing them isn't an option. I have to either go with the auto dimming + folding ones or just the auto dimming ones. The price difference is a few hundred bucks, so why pay a few hundred for a feature I will never use? (unless it gives me codes or is incompatible)
Maybe I'm missing something here...

You already paid for them as part of the ZPP. So (assuming you could replace them without other problems) why would you pay hundreds of $$$ more to not have folding mirrors, when you can continue to not fold them for free?

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here...

You already paid for them as part of the ZPP. So (assuming you could replace them without other problems) why would you pay hundreds of $$$ more to not have folding mirrors, when you can continue to not fold them for free?

Tom
May be he broke the mirror? and read again he said the folding ones cost more so why would he want to spend more when he doesn't use the feature ...

OP i'm in the exact opposite situation; trying to replace my non folding mirrors with the folding ones but wondering if they will be compatible or not
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ception View Post
May be he broke the mirror? and read again he said the folding ones cost more so why would he want to spend more when he doesn't use the feature ...

OP i'm in the exact opposite situation; trying to replace my non folding mirrors with the folding ones but wondering if they will be compatible or not
Sounds like a trade is in the cards...
Appreciate 0