2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Winter wheels and tyres

07-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Winter wheels and tyres

Yes I know we are supposed to be enjoying the British summer.....but.........Anyone taken BMW uk up on this yet or did you last year? Seriously considering getting my order in now as they sold out last year. A colleague of mine bought a set for his E91 touring and said they transformed the car during the worst weather we had. Certainly reinforced the argument about 4WD being needed, he said even on the steep bank where he lives once he had the winter wheels on the RWD touring got up and down no problem where up to that point he couldn\'t even get it more than 10m up he start of the hill without rolling back.

Just wondering what options are? Do you buy just the tyres or is the deal for a replacement set of alloys and tyres?

Personally I\'d rather shell out for new alloys and tyres as i don\'t really want to beat up my 19\" wheels in the winter.

Anyone know what size wheel/tyres are on offer? Is it 17\" only or is there an 18 or 19\" option available?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

.....when I said 4WD being needed I meant some people think it's the only solution to winter conditions when in fact tyres play a massive part, probably a bigger part in most cases and real world conditions.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

there is another thread on this from a few days ago

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553504

As I mentioned on there .... ive gone down the route of buying extra alloys and going to be putting the tyres on .....

Winter tyres are just starting to creep into stock at about the same price as summers ..... for me its just choosing the optimum time to buy .... leave it too late and the prices rocket !

Cheers

M
      07-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #4
22andcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d Sophisto Grey/Cinnamon

Winter tyres a must on beemers imho. Used them for years now, even when no snow they are much better performers on the cold road surface, especially breaking distances - plus they dont wear at the alarming rate summer tyres do in the cold months. Just picked up my wheel/tyre set from the dealer, brilliant dunlop wintersport 3d runflats on 17" rims (I believe you can get 18" rims too) I think £1300 for the set is great value - especially when you factor in the secondhand value of £700ish when you have done with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
MP2806
Rep
Drives: 330d Msport

Thats a good price - I spoke to my local dealer today and for 17" rims + dunlops they were quoting £450 per wheel which totals up to £1800.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
22andcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d Sophisto Grey/Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2806 View Post
Thats a good price - I spoke to my local dealer today and for 17" rims + dunlops they were quoting £450 per wheel which totals up to £1800.
They are ripping you off mate. It's a package direct from BMW for a set of 4 wheels and tyres, there is no per wheel pricing, list is £1400 ish but I managedto Blagg a small discount.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
HotCoffee
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520 Touring

Which dealer did you use?, I also called today, Reading dealer, and was quoted £ 1800 for Dunlop 3D runflats and Alloys (327 Style).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #8
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffee View Post
Which dealer did you use?, I also called today, Reading dealer, and was quoted £ 1800 for Dunlop 3D runflats and Alloys (327 Style).
Could you buy an old set of steel wheels and get some runflats (or conventional) tyres fitted?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
MP2806
Rep

Smile

Tried another dealer and got the same £1800 per set response.

Then I found a set of 17" 327s with Dunlop Runflat 3Ds at a local'ish dealer advertised at £1665 and got them down to £1500 by quoting the 'winter package' at £1460 in the BMW pricelist , although that does not seem to exist any more.

Looked at non BMW supply and Tyremen (Tyremen.co.uk) do a good price on Alutec wheels and 17" Dunlop RFTs which works out at £1265 delivered or about £220 less for non RFTs.

At least I won't have to dread any hint of snow on the weather forecast this winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 - 530d GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_luvver View Post
Could you buy an old set of steel wheels and get some runflats (or conventional) tyres fitted?
In other European and Scandinavian countries it's common to have a set of steel wheels for winter. One to prevent alloys being damaged by the conditions especially salt on the roads, two because you get better traction in snow with a narrow tyre rather than a wide low profile and so have to go down to a smaller wheel.

The BMW dealers offer to store your summer tyres and wheels during the winter, but if you've got room somewhere to store them yourself it may be cheaper to just buy the tyres alone, you probably don't need to go lower than 18" wheels on a 5er (the UK winter conditions aren't so bad to need narrow tyres on small wheels) but if you're current wheels are bigger you may not be able to get a winter tyre that fits on them so you'll have to get some wheels anyway and the dealer may be the best route for this.

I work in the tyre business and this year the trade has bought/ordered a lot more winter tyres than ever before having been caught out for the last couple of years with bad winters, but it's still a god idea to be sorting them out during September/October - once the average temp drops below 7 degrees C, winter tyres give better grip irrelevant of whether there's any snow.

In terms of whether the winters need to be run-flat just depends on whether you are happy with having non-run flats and no spare. It also depends on what tyres are available in the right size - if you let me know what tyres you're on now I give you some winter size options.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

On newer cars it's pretty common with alloys on winters too here in Norway. Here everybody gots 2 set of wheels, a summer and a winter set-up.

I've used my OEM alloys as winters for 4 winters, and they still looks great.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
On newer cars it's pretty common with alloys on winters too here in Norway. Here everybody gots 2 set of wheels, a summer and a winter set-up.

I've used my OEM alloys as winters for 4 winters, and they still looks great.
I stand corrected thanks remmib, my point is that winter tyres may not be available to fit on the same wheel as summers, depending on the size and what's made in winters, which doesn't matter if you're in the habit of having separate wheels for the winter anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
mikegorman
Rep
Drives: f10 m sport silver

Winter tyres

Considering the winter onset - had a 4 wheel drive for the last 7 winters, therefore not been an issue before the F10 ! Theres a guy on ebay (UK) selling a 4 wheel / tyre package for £1500 - as below. Does anyone know if these tyres are RFT or how they would perform in the snow ? Also, im currently running on 18 inch - anything else i need to consider in reducing to 17 inch ?
Thanks
Mike

BMW 5 SERIES (F10/F11) WINTER WHEELS WITH TYRES

Tyres are 225/55R17 97H, which fit most BMW 5 Series (F10/F11).

It’s never too early to buy winter tyres and it is also more cost effective to purchase a complete set of alloy wheels, than it is to buy the tyres individually.

Tyres are Goodyear ultra grip performance 2.

For more information on winter tyres or to check that these are suitable for your vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me on matthew.hoskins@elmsstansted.co.uk or direct on ebay with the last 7 digits of your chassis number and I will be happy to check for you.

Collection only.

£1519.99 inc VAT for a set of four, grab yourself a bargain!!!!

BMW part number is 36 11 2 183 501
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
MP2806
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegorman View Post
Considering the winter onset - had a 4 wheel drive for the last 7 winters, therefore not been an issue before the F10 ! Theres a guy on ebay (UK) selling a 4 wheel / tyre package for £1500 - as below. Does anyone know if these tyres are RFT or how they would perform in the snow ? Also, im currently running on 18 inch - anything else i need to consider in reducing to 17 inch ?
Thanks
Mike

BMW 5 SERIES (F10/F11) WINTER WHEELS WITH TYRES

Tyres are 225/55R17 97H, which fit most BMW 5 Series (F10/F11).

It’s never too early to buy winter tyres and it is also more cost effective to purchase a complete set of alloy wheels, than it is to buy the tyres individually.

Tyres are Goodyear ultra grip performance 2.

For more information on winter tyres or to check that these are suitable for your vehicle, please don’t hesitate to contact me on matthew.hoskins@elmsstansted.co.uk or direct on ebay with the last 7 digits of your chassis number and I will be happy to check for you.

Collection only.

£1519.99 inc VAT for a set of four, grab yourself a bargain!!!!

BMW part number is 36 11 2 183 501
I enquired about these too - the tyres are not run flats
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
kn1
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2806 View Post
I enquired about these too - the tyres are not run flats
Correct - only Bridgestone and Dunlop do run flats in this size which are * marked, and Pirelli do a run flat which is not homologated.

But the Goodyears (which are homologated by BMW) are being brought in to the UK dealers by BMW on wheels as a fitted unit, as a genuine BMW part with part number. The issue of whether non-run flats should be fitted to a car originally on run-flats is an ongoing debate elswhere in this forum.

Last edited by kn1; 09-07-2011 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0