E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Looking for track advice from the experts

07-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Looking for track advice from the experts

Hi,

I want to start off by saying I am posting this here as I find e90 post to be one of the very active and up to date forums on all topics. I own an e92 335i as a daily driver but am considering some future endeavors with my father in regards to a track car.

He is a huge chevrolet fan so the car I would like to propose to him is a used C5 Z06. I am trying to convince him to pursue this kind of a project rather than something silly (such as a Factory Five Roadster or something of that sort).

Please, track guys chime in, how would this car fare? I anticipate large $$$ in tires, brakes, oil etc. Please advise on other expenses if you can. Transportation can be easily taken care of, but what I am really looking for is a car that we are going to have FUN in (no more garage queen bull$hit).

This will not be daily driven. This can be towed to events. This car will eat tires and brakes. I am looking for all words of advice. If any former C5 Z06 owners, corvette owners, or guys that see these cars often at the track can chime in about this topic, I would really appreciate it.

Please, if possible, provide 'on topic' discussion. A lotus, or an e36 or that kind of thing just will not work (it isn't my $), but I have a feeling a large group of individuals could provide me with some useful knowledge, and for that I truly appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

The C5 Z06 is an AMAZING choice. Powerful, tunable, and fantastic right out of the box. You can start out simple and stock and find out what you'd like to do with it and possibly go big. I had a friend with one. He did headers w/ stock muffler, cam, tune, stock suspension and street tires. It does take some $$$s to maintain, but the acquisition cost is pretty awesome for what you get.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
The C5 Z06 is a great track car. My good friend has a trailer queen that runs like hell. Like any project car though, it costs lots of money to build and maintain and has lots of down time.

If you know it'll be a track toy, my suggestion is to just buy a race car, complete already. It's so much more of a bargain and makes a lot more sense. Another car to look into is a spec Miata, if your dad is into running in that series - and $12-15k could get you into a really good one with lots of spares too.
      07-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
runnerx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M roadster; 06 330i 6spd

I agree with the above comments. Z06 is an amazing track machine; in fact, I am considering C6 Z06 as my next track car

2006 BMW 330i 6spd manual - gone
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/--bIgrh8ES_s/TxSUCvOmDUI/AAAAAAAAPh0/OOjwrRZtta0/s912/z4mcomparo.jpg
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

yes, the Z06 is great, just a bit pricey for wheels/tires/brakes. but if you have the cash, then the car is an amazing track toy.

Issues with the C5 model include the stock brake calipers, which can have a tendency to deform/spread a bit under heavy track use. Also, the car would probably need a oil cooling upgrade (this was revised on the C6 models). Those were the two issues my friend said he needed to address on his C5 z06, but both are easily upgradable with some cash.

Might also want to check out steering rack bushings/upgrades if there are any to improve steering feel, but that's about it really. The powertrain on them is awesome, and simple mods pick up good amounts of power. But just improving the stock brakes and suspension will make the car very very fast on the track, even at stock power levels - provided you have the talent to drive it.

You will probably want to invest in a racing seat, roll bar, and harnesses.

oh, and "competition mode" on the stability system is going to be your best friend. Don't be so eager to drive the car with everything turned off until you have some quality seat time figuring out the car
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
muskamatt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
yes, the Z06 is great, just a bit pricey for wheels/tires/brakes. but if you have the cash, then the car is an amazing track toy.

Issues with the C5 model include the stock brake calipers, which can have a tendency to deform/spread a bit under heavy track use. Also, the car would probably need a oil cooling upgrade (this was revised on the C6 models). Those were the two issues my friend said he needed to address on his C5 z06, but both are easily upgradable with some cash.

Might also want to check out steering rack bushings/upgrades if there are any to improve steering feel, but that's about it really. The powertrain on them is awesome, and simple mods pick up good amounts of power. But just improving the stock brakes and suspension will make the car very very fast on the track, even at stock power levels - provided you have the talent to drive it.

You will probably want to invest in a racing seat, roll bar, and harnesses.

oh, and "competition mode" on the stability system is going to be your best friend. Don't be so eager to drive the car with everything turned off until you have some quality seat time figuring out the car
At work and will address more things later but this is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. Awesome. Thank you.
Appreciate 0