E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > jb3 pnp question

06-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Los Bastardo
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 TiAg 335i

Red face jb3 pnp question

So I may get flamed for improper forum post or even the dreaded accusation but I'm at a loss and my search results are not yielding help.

'07 e90 47,500 on the odometer had both fuel pumps replaced for no reason other than the recall. Just installed a jb3 pnp and seem to be going into limp mode only when I really get up on it (bogging down, rough idle). I get the SES light at this time and then it will go away after a couple minutes of the car being off. Start her up and same thing, three test runs now so far. I can notice a difference in acceleration for a bit but then she goes boggy and the light comes on etc..

My questions are this:

Can I have installed the jb3 wrong? After using the .pdf to install I noticed my wire colors didn't match up with the tutorial. Not sure which firmware since I bought it second hand from here. The seller "thinks" it's 2.0.

The install .pdf says to drive it normally for a few days as a break in period. What if normal to me is bat out a hell? I live on a mountain with a decent grade so any vertical climbing involves me enjoying 7mpg. Should I drive like my wife for a few days and see if it fixes itself? Attempt a re-install?

Thanks ahead of time for those who deem fit to respond and apologies to those I've offended with my improper forum etiquette...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

I had a very similar problem with my 07 and jb3. Limp mode after hard accel, and the car was throwing an overboost and underboost code. I emailed Terry Burger, and he asked if I had followed the directions and re-routed the vaccum lines to disable one of the boost solenoids. I told him "of course I followed the directions!!!" He said by doing so, it was causing limp mode. If you haven't already, put the vaccum lines back to stock, and re-enable the other boost solenoid. Actually, I think it was the jb2 that had the vaccum lines re-routed, and the jb3 went back to stock......crap. Now I can't remember. Anyway, make sure that your solenoids are both working, and that should fix your problem. If you've already put them back to stock, then I don't know what else it could be. You'd have to get ahold of Terry. He's really good about answering all his emails, so he will have an answer for you pretty quick. Hope this helps!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Haus_07
E85 is my friend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. I don't think you need to re-install the actual jb3 unit. If you had a wire crossed or installed incorrectly, you would have a lot more than limp mode under hard accel. Either the car won't start, or if it did, it would run rough as hell and you'd be throwing codes and lights like crazy. If it runs fine except for the limp mode, it should be wired correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
smolik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F30 335i

uninstall, take it to dealer with the light on
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Los Bastardo
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 TiAg 335i

I think it's the JB before the 3 that involves the vacuum line. Instructions for mine never mentioned it. After setting it to map 0, I stopped at the local auto parts store and used their obdII scanner and found cylinder 3 was misfiring. From what I've read this is one of three things: Plugs, Coils, or (hope not) Injectors. Emailing back in forth with Terry from Burger and he suggested switching the coil and plug with 3 to 1 assuming the if the misfire moves to cylinder one than one of the two are my issue.

My first issue is I don't have the necessary socket to change the plugs. Secondly I removed the JB3 and when I started the car it shook violently and gave the yellow engine symbol. I undid the negative battery terminal and let it sit for 10 and restarted it and everything seems fine.

I'd take it to the dealer but from what I've read they're "shadow codes" present that will let them know I attempted to tune the car myself, basically negating their obligation to cover an issue under warranty. Plugs and coils I could handle, injectors are traditionally pricey and outta my limited know-how.

So I guess I'm just left to decide if I should purchase the socket first and see if the plugs/coils are my problem and if not purchase the BMS USB cable and pray that I can clear the hidden codes but leave the misfire code so that the dealer could fix the issue.
Appreciate 0