E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Need advice on purchasing 325i

10-07-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
ultimate_008
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mustang GT convert

Need advice on purchasing 325i

Hi Everyone,
I am glad I found this forum. I am in the market of buying a 2006 325i. I would like to get everyone's opinion on what options are essential. Please keep in mind that I am on a tight budget. Here is what I will get for sure

Automatic Transmission
Xenon lights

I really like the 18" wheels that come with the sport package of the 330i and was wondering if I could get them for the 325. Also, what do you think about the sport package? I currently drive a Mustang GT convertible and really enjoy getting on the freeway.
Since I graduated and have an official engineering job, I need a car that is a little more technologically capable.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #2
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
#1 choice on the option list should be SP
#2 PP

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 11:00 PM   #3
selm
Fight On!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_008
Hi Everyone,
I am glad I found this forum. I am in the market of buying a 2006 325i. I would like to get everyone's opinion on what options are essential. Please keep in mind that I am on a tight budget. Here is what I will get for sure

Automatic Transmission
Xenon lights

I really like the 18" wheels that come with the sport package of the 330i and was wondering if I could get them for the 325. Also, what do you think about the sport package? I currently drive a Mustang GT convertible and really enjoy getting on the freeway.
Since I graduated and have an official engineering job, I need a car that is a little more technologically capable.

Thanks for your input.
Get rid of the Auto and get the sport package (really nice 17s and more). I saw a 325i with the 18s from the 330 zsp in Munich. It was actually inside the gift shop of the Olympic Complex. I don't know if this was entirely for show or if it can be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
thd13
Major
Rep
Drives: A07 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Welcome to a great forum!
I would say that a manual transmission is essential, but that's just me. Is there a reason why you're not getting a MT anyways?

Realistically, I would say that the sports is well worth it, especially if you are coming from a GT 'Stang. If you get the SP on a 325i, you get the 17in 161 style wheels. You can always shell out more $ if you want the 162 wheels. But you got it right with the essential bi-xenons lights!
      10-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
bmwczech
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i Alpine White

ultimate 008, I am in a similar situation. I was at my local BMW dealer and he pointed out that they are running short on e90's. The sales rep said that the new 3 series is selling very well in North America and even better in Europe.

I guess I have really bad luck, just when I am ready to buy I can't find the car I want(Alpine White, A/T, Sport Pkg, Sunroof). But here is what has happened, the dealer has pointed out that they are getting an Alpine White, A/T, Sunroof but the car doesn't have the Sport pkg.

I told the rep that I have been on the internet and most BMW fans say that you have to get the sport package. While I was talking to the sales rep the sales manager overheard my comments and came over to say that I wouldn't see a huge difference in the way the car performed non-sport vs sport package. He said that non-sport version of the car handles just great and drives smoother than the sport package. In only extreme driving you would feel the difference.

He went on to say that if I didn't like the 16" tires on the non-sport packaged car that I could put some optional 17" wheels on the car to make it look better. I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I guess I am going to have to drive both sport and non-sport cars and see what the difference is.

Ultimate 008, if I could make one suggestion, I have heard that a must option is a sunroof for resale.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
thd13
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwczech

I guess I am going to have to drive both sport and non-sport cars and see what the difference is.
That's a great idea! Only way to truely make up your mind.
Also, maybe the dealer told you there was no difference because he wanted a quicker sale. The SP comes also with the sports steering wheel and sports seats, which are great too. IMO, the SP is something that you should not miss out on.

Last edited by thd13; 10-07-2005 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #7
bmwczech
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i Alpine White

thd 13, thanks for your comments. I agree that not only does one miss out on the 17" wheels but also the Sport Suspension, Sport Steering Wheel & seats by not getting the Sport Pkg. I still think that the e90 doesn't look very good with the 16" wheels. I don't mean to offend those people that have e90's with the 16" wheel. It's just my personal opinion.

If I hold out for a car with the sport package I am going to have to wait it out until Xmas/January.

I know alot of people on this forum have had to wait for their cars to come in and I guess I am going to have to wait as well. I have been on this forum since May and have felt the pain and frustration of those people having to wait for their cars to come in.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
thd13
Major
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's well worth the wait. Better to wait for another month and get what you want than to get something sooner, and regret it for the rest of the time that you own the vehicle. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
      10-08-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
ultimate_008
Registered
Rep

Hey BMWczech,
I do agree it is essential to have a sunroof especially because I love sunbathing (I own a convertible). I believe it is standard on all vehicles in the US. You should drive both models and compare. I have read many reviews stating that the ride gets a little choppy with the SP due to the stiffer suspension.

What I value most in a luxury car is the quiteness of the ride and its smoothness.

Also, the 16" wheels do not look good on the car. So I do need to get bigger wheels. For the manual transmission issue, I have learned to drive stick before but never owned a manual transmission car. I live in LA where traffic can be really horrible. Plus, I think the resale value of the car w/o automatic transmission would be affected.

So far, here is what my option list is:
325i with Sport Pacakge
Xenon lights
Automatic Transmission

Can I get people's opinion on the 2 colors I am debating on:
Sparkling Graphite vs. Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
One thing there is no shortage of here is opinions. But options for you car should be your choice. Go to the dealer and if they have enough stock, try to see all the different options in person. Drive them with and without sport package, etc. Then decide where to best spend your money for you personal satisfaction.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #11
upandown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '06 325 Pre/Spt

My 2 cents ---Don't overdo it

I have the sport and premium packages with a 6 speed stick.
The wheels look good, and the handling is stellar.
Zenons are not neccessary, no matter what you hear, nor do they match the other lights in front. And, they'll cost about a grand each to fix should something go wrong after the warranty period.

Standard stereo system is quite good.
The upgrade is not worthwhile.
Metallic paint is worth the extra money.
Satellite radio wiring was a mistake.

I wouldn't mind a little more power (330), but frankly, this car is plenty fast, and I still haven't punched it.

Paid +500 over invoice in July, although I doubt you'll get such a good deal now.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Black cars are hard to maintain. If you are willing to wax once a month, then it will look great. But if you neglect it for any length of time, it shows.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

yes, you do need the glass sunroof as stated. for a great look, 17" wheels are the minimum requirement, with 161 style like mine. looks great.

pretty much everything else should Be up to you but do Bear in mind that if a dealer wants to sell you a car he has in stock, its because he wants to move it asap. he may tell you things just to make you feel Better but if you want a certain option, the go for what YOU want.

all the best in your purchase of a wonderful car.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
Jack Dotson
Rep
Drives: Silver 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwczech
ultimate 008, I am in a similar situation. I was at my local BMW dealer and he pointed out that they are running short on e90's. The sales rep said that the new 3 series is selling very well in North America and even better in Europe.

I guess I have really bad luck, just when I am ready to buy I can't find the car I want(Alpine White, A/T, Sport Pkg, Sunroof). But here is what has happened, the dealer has pointed out that they are getting an Alpine White, A/T, Sunroof but the car doesn't have the Sport pkg.

I told the rep that I have been on the internet and most BMW fans say that you have to get the sport package. While I was talking to the sales rep the sales manager overheard my comments and came over to say that I wouldn't see a huge difference in the way the car performed non-sport vs sport package. He said that non-sport version of the car handles just great and drives smoother than the sport package. In only extreme driving you would feel the difference.

He went on to say that if I didn't like the 16" tires on the non-sport packaged car that I could put some optional 17" wheels on the car to make it look better. I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ultimate 008, if I could make one suggestion, I have heard that a must option is a sunroof for resale.
I usually don't pay attention to anything the dealer has to say as they are trying to sell you a car and if that car is on the lot you better bet it's the one their going to talk up. Having said that, my observations are right on target with the managers. I had a chance to buy either and chose the non-sport model, with PP, etc. I opted for the smoother ride vs the somwhat improved cornering. Other things I considered were the height from the ground, tire wear, etc. If it's strictly performance your after than the sport package is better, but the question is do you want or need it? The other factor is looks and I think the sport models alway look better with the bigger rims and tires. I will probably wait until I find someone who is upgrading their wheels and buy a set of the 17's at some point in time.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
natalia
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thd13

Realistically, I would say that the sports is well worth it, especially if you are coming from a GT 'Stang. If you get the SP on a 325i, you get the 17in 161 style wheels. You can always shell out more $ if you want the 162 wheels. But you got it right with the essential bi-xenons lights!

You can get the 162's for the 325i? ~thd13, I saw your signature on a shirt at Urban Outfitters a couple of days ago. Is that where you got the line from?

Also, I prefer the SG over the Black...the black looks really good but maintaining that color is hard. For those of you who have the sports package has the ride gotten a little more comfortable as you have broken the car in some?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #16
fdc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

I oredered a manual 325xi. I only drive manual but besides that I
think BMWs has to be manual

Departure: Bremerhaven Sept 28, 2005
Vessel: Franconia K-line (http://www.kline.com/PCC-RoRo/schedu...ticshuttle.asp)
Arrived at the Port of Charleston at 04:40 on Oct. 10, 2005
Arrived At VPC: 10/11/05
Left the VPC: 10/14/05 3:40pm
Arrived at the Dealer: 10/15/05 3:00pm
Delivery: 10/18/05 10:00 am
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #17
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_008
Hi Everyone,

Automatic Transmission
Xenon lights

Thanks for your input.
How are your parking skills? You might want to invest in Park Distance Control (rear parking sensors). I was debating whether or not to get it, but now that I have it, boy do I use it! It helps a lot when trying to parallel park or backing into the driveway as it's hard to guage distances, esp. at night.

I see that you're getting the Xenons, good. I personally have seen more black E90's on the road so you may want to get SG. It's a beautiful color, trust me. I also like the 162 ellipsoid rims...I would just wait and get those. I'll probably get 'em after I pay off the car. 16's are good enough for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Best option? Get the 330i ZSP!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2005, 12:59 AM   #19
ultimate_008
Registered
Rep

Well I probably get the Sparkling Graphite paint. As for the rims, I will probably wait to get them (probably ebay or something).

I am still debating on whether I should get the sport package or not. Since I am getting the automatic transmission, is it really gonna matter? If I don't get the sport package, I may get the navigation system. I heard that a lot of people don't like the idrive. Any inputs on that.

I never had a problem parking but the sensor is a good option.
Appreciate 0