E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Riots erupt in Vancouver after Canucks loss

06-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/FK8/C63S

Riots erupt in Vancouver after Canucks loss

Quote:
Riot police fired rubber bullets and flash bombs in downtown Vancouver Wednesday night to try to disperse angry rioters who set cars on fire and taunted police officers after the Canucks' 4-0 Stanley Cup final loss to the Boston Bruins.

Police declared the downtown fan zone area near the CBC building and the central post office a riot zone. Anyone not leaving the West Georgia Street area immediately would be arrested, they warned.

Police were using batons and also turned police dogs on the rioters, slowly pushing the crowd back along Georgia Street from Hamilton Street to Cambie Street.

Officers in riot gear were also trying to disperse a smaller crowd on Granville Street, about six blocks from the original riot scene.

Two police cars were set on fire in a parking lot on Cambie Street near one of the areas where police were being confronted by a few dozen people among the hundreds present who were throwing debris at officers.

Most people who stayed in the riot areas were watching the confrontation, while a few young men who covered their faces were confronting police.
Bus transit suspended

A number of cars had also been set alight in a parkade at West Georgia Street and Seymour Street.

Protesters were seen jumping on a pair of police cars in a parking lot on Cambie Street. One of the cars had been turned on its side but later was righted.

TransLink had stopped all bus service to and from the downtown area, but SkyTrains were still running to and from downtown stations.

Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson said the situation was "extremely disappointing."

"Vancouver is a world-class city and it is embarrassing and shameful to see the type of violence and disorder we’ve seen tonight," Robertson told the Vancouver Sun newspaper.
Game was winding down

Trouble started in the closing seconds of the game when a thick plume of smoke, believed to be from fireworks, wafted above the crowd on West Georgia Street in front of the central post office building. Moments later, a car burst into flames and fights broke out.
One of the several cars set alight by angry hockey fans in downtown Vancouver Wednesday. CBCOne of the several cars set alight by angry hockey fans in downtown Vancouver Wednesday. CBC

B.C. Ambulance confirmed that a man had fallen or jumped off a bridge called the Dunsmuir Viaduct and had been taken to hospital.

There were no other injuries reported, but there have been numerous arrests.

Glass windows were broken at the Bank of Montreal on West Georgia and at the Hudson's Bay.

Some looting was reported at the Bay store.

In addition, a fire was reported at a parkade on Seymour Street. Few details were available, but reports indicated several cars were on fire. There were also reports of garbage cans and portable toilets on fire throughout the downtown core.

Reports also indicated localized looting underway in several downtown locations.

Earlier, before and during the game, fans were packed tight but good-natured as they cheered on their team, which had won at home in every previous game against Boston in this Stanley Cup final series.
Sigh....some people just can't face the truth...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...st-game-7.html
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Embarrassing.. now we are seen by the world as the city of sore losers.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Very sad when ppl's shows how ignorant they are and uncivilized. They just can't handle the true.

http://mashable.com/2011/06/15/vancouver-hockey-riot/
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
hj058
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 335i

its disappointing we lost...but we CAN NOT LOSE OUR CLASS!!!!...however i think theres more people just using the loss as an excuse to do all the idiot things than people who actually lost their mind...
      06-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

Let's get something clear here...This has nothing to do with hockey. This could've been any big event for the city, win or lose, this still would've happened. These people ARE NOT HOCKEY FANS, but rather a bunch of idiots who simply needed an excuse to do stupid shit. This was NOT about the Canucks losing.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
Revive
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
Let's get something clear here...This has nothing to do with hockey. This could've been any big event for the city, win or lose, this still would've happened. These people ARE NOT HOCKEY FANS, but rather a bunch of idiots who simply needed an excuse to do stupid shit. This was NOT about the Canucks losing.
+1 Sad how these assholes had to ruin it for the true hockey fans and the reputation of Vancouver.

Last edited by Revive; 06-16-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

The rioters are a bunch of losers - pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
E90MCF
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06' AW E90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tIfJrM3AUQ

RIP M5
- OEM Blacklines - 3M Di-Noc Matte Dry Carbon Vinyl Roof - 19x8.5/19x9.5 Miro M6 Replica 'Time Attack' - 17x8 OEM Style 159 Spider Spoke - Matte Black Grills - LED Interior Kit - License Plate LEDs - CF Roundels/Wheel Caps -
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

OT - Hey Kit, check your PM's please. Sent you one about the reverse camera! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

As mentioned before, the real instigators of the riots were not hockey fans, they were the same street kids and bums that you see hanging out on the steps of the Vancouver art gallery everyday begging for change so that they can shoot up. I hope this is a wakeup call for the vpd to start cleaning up this mess and and getting these groups of losers off the streets before they ruin Vancouver's reputation as a world class city. On a side note, poor M5!!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #11
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
OT - Hey Kit, check your PM's please. Sent you one about the reverse camera! Thanks.
Yo, can you send it again because i didn't receive the pm somehow.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

wow... madness... i heard it on the radio but didnt realise how bad it was... downtown vancouver looks like a warzone!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #13
cc_25
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
As mentioned before, the real instigators of the riots were not hockey fans, they were the same street kids and bums that you see hanging out on the steps of the Vancouver art gallery everyday begging for change so that they can shoot up. I hope this is a wakeup call for the vpd to start cleaning up this mess and and getting these groups of losers off the streets before they ruin Vancouver's reputation as a world class city. On a side note, poor M5!!
I don't know about that, there were certainly TONS of Canucks jerseys at the forefront of the rioting.

It's easy to be in denial and say it wasn't "hockey fans" and it was "street kids and bums", but the pictures don't lie. It was hockey/Canucks fans. Stupid ones, not representative of most fans, but Canucks fans none-the-less.

Pics

Article
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
I don't know about that, there were certainly TONS of Canucks jerseys at the forefront of the rioting.

It's easy to be in denial and say it wasn't "hockey fans" and it was "street kids and bums", but the pictures don't lie. It was hockey/Canucks fans. Stupid ones, not representative of most fans, but Canucks fans none-the-less.

Pics

Article
No, you are right, there were definitely a lot of overly drunk people wearing Canucks jerseys causing a hell of a lot of damage and there's no excuse for that, but from being there and witnessing a lot of the events that took place, the people who were looting, throwing Molotov cocktails and really causing damage and instigating many of the events were the bums I was referring to In my previous post. I feel that these are the people who were there to specifically riot and nothing else, and unfortunately many of the drunk Canuck fans joined in the mayhem that ensued. Anyways, that's my opinion on what went down. btw, I got the hell out of there before the riot squad was out in full force and watched the events fold from the safety of a friends condo nearby.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit523 View Post
Yo, can you send it again because i didn't receive the pm somehow.
Thx, you got mail!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Some people take this as an excuse and do stupid things.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

If they would have won the cup, the same thing would have happened.
These people came prepared to do this.
      06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

I was waiting for police with batons come in beating the shiet out of these guys!
      06-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #19
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

its a shame for all canadians....i can only imagine how bad toronto would be if we ever had a shot at the cup....it didn't seem like vancouver police were ready to deal with all the crowds...most of the news footage i saw from early on there wasn't even much of a police presence....mob mentality and testosterone is to blame....
      06-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #20
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

It was brutal to watch the riot unfold on the CBC. I lay the blame totally on the Mayor's Office. Money spent on those stupid bike lanes, trying to turn Vancouver into some kind of fake la-la lotus land should have went into other things like more police. Kudos for the small number police to not lose their cool in taking back control of the streets.
I still remember seeing the 1994 riot on the tube. We were lucky that the OJ Simpson story immediately replaced our story on CNN.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_25 View Post

Pics

Article

It's a generalization when I say that it was not Canucks fans.

That said, just because they are a bunch of people wearing fake canucks apparell, doesn't mean it was about the Canucks losing or even Canucks fans. It's just an easy excuse for them to make.

There were riots in LA after the Lakers won the championship. Do you think those were Lakers fans rioting? How does that make sense? They were expressing their joy of winning a championship by destroying the city? It DOESN'T make sense. The big event is simply used as a means to do stupid shit. Theirs nothing more to it. I can guarantee you we would've had riots downtown even if Canucks had won. People had come prepared with bats and other weapons to riot? If you were a Canucks fan, why would you be prepared for a loss? You're expecting a win, aren't you? These people were going to riot win or lose, whether it was a Vancouver Canucks game or a Vancouver Grizzlies game.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #22
Kit523
Major General
Hong Kong
Rep

must watch this sigh this is depressing....

Last edited by Kit523; 06-17-2011 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0