E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Modification vs Warranty

05-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
EVO_S4
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW  [8.24]
Modification vs Warranty

As to the title says, what can we do to prevent the dealers to voiding or warrenty. I know the most of the Evo owner have this problem with their car void for warrenty for simple stuff :mad: . I like to get my E90 to around the 300HP marks. I know the car is new but just want to get some sort of idea to plan ahead.
      05-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
SoCalS2k
Major
Rep
Drives: S2K!

Garage List
2001 Honda S2k  [8.50]
Good question EVO I was wondering the same thing. I've never owned a BMW before so any input on this would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
Don't know what the limits are for non-Dinan stuff.

If it's Dinan, you have no worries about voiding your warranty. AFAIK, that's the only after-market tuning that will not void your BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roburado
Don't know what the limits are for non-Dinan stuff.

If it's Dinan, you have no worries about voiding your warranty. AFAIK, that's the only after-market tuning that will not void your BMW warranty.
Not exactly true with the Dinan stuff... You do void your BMW warranty but gain a Dinan warranty which is identical... If your BMW dealer is your Dinan dealer no worries at all but if you goto a non Dinan BMW dealer he might have some issues, there again you can goto any independent Dinan dealer and he should honor the Dinan warranty..

Essentially with moding you do run a risk of voiding parts of the warranty but the dealer has to be able to say that the mod you added specifically caused the problem

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
pete330
Rep
Drives: sold - 98 E36 M3

I had an 98 E36 M3 with Dinan CAI, Chip, and freeflow exhaust. I had warrenty work done several times with these mods. It was a certified used with 27k miles on the odometer on purchase, but I do not know if the certification had anything to do with accepting the Dinan mods. From what I understood, the certification was just an extention of the original factory warrenty and was never discontinued while I owned the car. All my Dinan installation was done at the dealer that completed my purchase and my service. I was extremely pleased with the Dinan products, but they were a little bit more expensive than others. If the work was actually covered by Dinan, and not my certification, it was transparent to me.

My big question would be the Dinan supercharger. What does that do to the warranty? That is where you would get the big gains.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
How about on leased cars? Would Dinan mods get me in trouble with the dealership? I would at the very least like to chip it, if and when it comes out. That's something I can replace when time to return the car, but should I be worried about paying extra at the end for mods?

Last edited by timzerofive; 05-10-2005 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
pete330
Rep
Drives: sold - 98 E36 M3

You would have to ask the dealer. I would approach both a sales associate and the service manager with the question, since each play a role on evaluating cars at the end of a lease.

I have a feeling that Dinan is ok, since I saw a certified used Dinan M5 being sold in a dealer a little while ago, and from what I understand, it had come off lease. I definitly still ask the question to be safe!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
How about on leased cars? Would Dinan mods get me in trouble with the dealership? I would at the very least like to chip it, if and when it comes out. That's something I can replace when time to return the car, but should I be worried about paying extra at the end for mods?
What they don't know can't hurt you IMO. What are you thinking of modding that you won't be able to return to stock right before returning the car at the end of the lease? If they don't see any mods on the car at the end of the lease they won't bother you for additional charges.
      05-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete330
All my Dinan installation was done at the dealer that completed my purchase and my service. I was extremely pleased with the Dinan products, but they were a little bit more expensive than others. If the work was actually covered by Dinan, and not my certification, it was transparent to me.

My big question would be the Dinan supercharger. What does that do to the warranty? That is where you would get the big gains.
You would not have had any problems due to the fact that you BMW dealer was your Dinan dealer, the issue comes when your BMW dealer is not your Dinan dealer... there COULD be a lot of finger pointing BMW says its a dinan issue and vice versa. But your BMW dealer has to be able to say that a specific mod caused your specific problem.

With the supercharger there's no difference. Dinan matches the BMW warranty.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0