E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP Software update????? Thats NEW!!??

06-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

HPFP Software update????? Thats NEW!!??

Hi All,

Now I need some advice. This is that old chesnut problem that always pops up…. BUT with a strange twist that even I didn’t expect.

So, excuse the story but I want to give a detailed account of what happened so I can get good advice. Basically, driving home yesterday the car was hesitating (never had a problem before) the revs we jumping up and down and then the car died and I rolled to a stop……

My Satnav said DTC failure and that my tyre was flat but it didn’t know which one. Then the dreaded message popped up with “fuel pump failure” “unable to continue safely”. F*CK!!!

So I automatically thought that the fuel pump had died…. The car has done 78k from new with nothing being replaced and have had a JB3 for 10k till now. Rang around to get prices for the part so I can fit it myself.

I read on the forum that there was a recall on the hpfp so I tied my luck (don’t get anything free in the UK) and rang my local “stealer”. They informed me the actual part isn’t faulty its actually the software and YES there is a recall on the hpfp software and that they will do it for free…..

Is this right?? Will it fix the problem?? All the car does now is long crank and fail to start but the stealers say that is the diagnosis they have and this software will fix it?

The only software updated I knew of was the 29.2 for the waste gates and that just creates lag??

I don’t wanna take all my mods off for them to do the software update then tell me its still broken and try and charge me ££££ to replace the fuel pump which I wanna do myself to save £££.

I suppose my question is. Has anyone else in the UK or across the pond heard of this hpfp update? If so have they had it done and to what success? Or is it really just the end of my fuel pump?

Appreciate the help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
James_m4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
The software upgrade is a patch to try and delay the evential failure of the HPFP. It does NOT prevent the HPFP from failing as numerous people who have had both the software an a HPFP failure after the software upgrade can confirm. There have been several software updates designed to delay the HPFP failures but none they can prevent a physical HPFP failure.
So is it best to waste an extra week and get the dealer to do the update then wait for them to tell me the pump has died and then take it awa and fix it myself.

OR

Do i not take it to them get the pump changed out then take it to them for the update?

OR

Is the update not even worth the wait for 2 days?

Regards
Appreciate 0