E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DSC question

06-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
pumaboy2000
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE auto

DSC question

Hi there, was wondering how much slip the car should have while the DSC system is on? My car is a 2005 320d SE auto, and a couple of times on a wet roundabout I've felt the back of the car slide. The last time it happened I wasn't even applying any power. I would expect this with the system off, but thought it would need a silly speed or boot of the accelerator to get the tail out when on. I've had the car now for 4 months, the rear tyres were new when I got the car, and I suppose they are prob not the best, Wanli non RFT's. Had a little play tonight in a deserted car park experimenting with system on and off and didn't notice much difference. Also when re-activating the DSC with the switch I need to hold the button for about 10 secs before the lights go out, the manual says it should just need a brief press.
The car has had a full 4 wheel geometry since I bought it. Am I just being paranoid?
Thanks, Craig.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

It will allow a second or 2 of minor degree slip before pulling back in.

Half off this allows a lot more rear spin up but still cuts in and fully off is just mental in the wet.

I've had it fishtail a bit in the wet fully on a few times

In the dry over certain surfaces the back end kicks out. It's pretty normal and a big factor is the run flats, especially over man hole covers or bad surfaces. 1 particular bend with a neg gradient and a sloping man hole cover is almost lethal in my car, i hate hitting it every time, the car feels like it's about to let go.

Just be realistic and take it easy in the wet. Don't forget any change of speed whilst changing direction is going to upset the balance of the car, even braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

You say you have Wanli tyres.... I'd suggest that is where the problem is.

If the tyres don't or can't grip, then there is bound to be some DSC intervention even at low outputs.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
pumaboy2000
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d SE auto

Thanks for the quick replies, was guessing that maybe these tyres aren't the grippiest even though they are almost new. I think I just expected the rear to feel totally planted even in the wet unless you were really trying to provoke the car.
Must admit it's made me a bit wary. I drive a fast swooping twisty A road to work each day and it's great fun, but am being cautious in the bends when it's wet even when not applying power.
Thanks,

Craig.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
PropWarp
PARAMED
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D 2004

I have had this on many a round about small or large even at low speeds, it has now come to a point that if it is safe and a car is not on the side of me then its fairly fun. Then if its a day like today and it is wet then that DTC light will be like a crimbo tree. Some roads near me for reasons I cannot explain just remain to be slippery.

Just let the car do what it has to do, it will look after you. Doing what I do I trust the car 200% in bends.
Appreciate 0