E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Installed Cool Carbon pads, sensor fitment issue/questions

06-04-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Installed Cool Carbon pads, sensor fitment issue/questions

I just installed a full set of Cool Carbon pads (it was my first pad change on the 3er... really straight forward).

On my passenger rear, the old sensor fit fine with the little spring clip.

On my driver front, the fit was terrible with the little spring clip. It's almost as if the U-shaped opening on the cool carbons was a bit bigger than the stock pad. With just the little spring clip, the sensor was really loose.

So I started kicking around ideas for making it work. I thought of three things:

1) Leave the sensor out for now and just zip tie it out of the way.

2) Use a drop of high temp liquid gasket to just make sure the sensor stayed snug.

3) Shim the U to make the sensor and clip fit tighter.

I opted for Option 3 (mostly because I didn't have any liquid gasket convenient around). I cut a small piece of sheet metal as a shim and slid the shim, clip and sensor into the Cool Carbons. Voila, the sensor felt snug. similar to how it felt in the stock pad.

So three questions:

1) Has anyone else had this problem with Cool Carbons?

2) Does anyone else have other suggestions for keeping that sensor wedged in there tight?

3) Any opinions on my solution? As I said, the sensor felt as tight as if was in the stock pad, but I'm not sure if vibration, heat, etc, will pop the shim at which point that sensor could possibly fly out and try to tangle itself up in something down there.

Thanks!
      06-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
brianexeas
Captain
Rep
Drives: Voltex Widebody Evo

On the Cool Carbons, the U shaped opening is made to OE spec.
The opening can be on the tight side keeping the clip from fully engaging
when installing the sensor.
You may need to push the spring clip again from the top until it fully snaps
into place.
Let me know how this works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
I think it might be the blue paint where the sensor should slip in, because when i did my front pads with oem pads the new sensor went right in with no problems but my CC pads for my rear i ended up breaking one sensor, so i zip tied another sensor up and away. Couldn't even get the sensor close to getting into place.

I say just zip tie it, or take the one pad out and try filing the paint off where the sensor would go

Last edited by BKV122; 06-10-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

I just installed my CC's front and rear and had virtually no problem with the sensors. They were each actually a bit snug and needed a little coercing and perfect alignment to get in, but once they snapped in they were nice and secure.

P.S. on second thought my sensors were brand new. Maybe your old ones were a bit crimped/worn from sitting in the old one? I know BMW recommends new sensors with each change and maybe that is part of the reason why. (other than most ppl prob dont touch the brakes until the light goes off.

How are your brakes?
I just finished 2 bed in procedures and am noting some very light brake condition squealing. I am letting them cool adn will bed one more time and hope for the best. I was quite liberal with my use of grease on the slides and CRC brake quite on the pad face, ears, and edges.
Appreciate 0