E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Another tyre thread

05-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
chris145
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Another tyre thread

Sorry to start another what tyre thread but this one is slightly different as I only really need 2 new tyres.

My front tyres seem to have worn significantly more than the rears, is this normal? You would think the rears would wear more on a rear wheel drive car. Unless of course the rears where replaced by the previous owner, they didn’t appear newer when I got the car 6 months ago. I will have alignment checked once I get new tyres.

Anyways I will need new tyres soon. As the rears still have a fair amount of life in them I have the following options:

1) Replace all 4 tyres with Falkens. (keep/sell/burnout old rears).
2) Replace just the front tyres to match rears (michelin run flats).
3) Replace just the fronts with good non rft tyres (Sp3/5's), then match rears when they need replacing, but I have read that its generally not a good idea to mix non rft with rft's.

oh and the these will be going on 18" Mv3's.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Personally I would not mix RFT and non-RFT, and I would not invest my heard-earned in RFT either.

Sell the rears (they fetch a surprising amount) and fit premium non-RFT all round. Eagle F1's and Conti SC3's often look cracking value if you shop about, and I have seen various flavours of P Zero at great prices as well, depends on the sizes you need.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
Personally I would not mix RFT and non-RFT, and I would not invest my heard-earned in RFT either.

Sell the rears (they fetch a surprising amount) and fit premium non-RFT all round. Eagle F1's and Conti SC3's often look cracking value if you shop about, and I have seen various flavours of P Zero at great prices as well, depends on the sizes you need.

plus one!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Whatever you choose, getting the alignment checked ASAP is a must. The only reason I can think for wearing the front rubber more than the rear is if the geometry is out, and the car is 'crabbing'.

Another vote here for non-RFT tyres though I'm trying to shred mine before winter so I can start on proper tyres next spring.
      05-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris145 View Post
Sorry to start another what tyre thread but this one is slightly different as I only really need 2 new tyres.

My front tyres seem to have worn significantly more than the rears, is this normal? You would think the rears would wear more on a rear wheel drive car. Unless of course the rears where replaced by the previous owner, they didn’t appear newer when I got the car 6 months ago. I will have alignment checked once I get new tyres.

Anyways I will need new tyres soon. As the rears still have a fair amount of life in them I have the following options:

1) Replace all 4 tyres with Falkens. (keep/sell/burnout old rears).
2) Replace just the front tyres to match rears (michelin run flats).
3) Replace just the fronts with good non rft tyres (Sp3/5's), then match rears when they need replacing, but I have read that its generally not a good idea to mix non rft with rft's.

oh and the these will be going on 18" Mv3's.
Exactly the same boat as you. 18" Mv3's and front tyres getting very low on tread but rears still got some life.

I'm thinking of just replacing all 4 with Falken 452's.

My current tyre sizes are 225/40R18 on the front and 255/35R18 on the rear so i'm guessing i just order the equivalent Falkens.

I think my alignment wants checking since the fronts are seriously worn towards the inside.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Exactly the same boat as you. 18" Mv3's and front tyres getting very low on tread but rears still got some life.

I'm thinking of just replacing all 4 with Falken 452's.

My current tyre sizes are 225/40R18 on the front and 255/35R18 on the rear so i'm guessing i just order the equivalent Falkens.

I think my alignment wants checking since the fronts are seriously worn towards the inside.
What brand are they and what tread depth do the rears have?

Could be interested.
      05-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
You slag......just what I was going to ask......
      05-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Bridgestone Potenza RE050

I'll check tread depth later.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
chris145
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Had a quick look today when filling up. The fronts probably only have about 1-2mm left, the rears maybe 4mm.
I think I will also go for the Falkens and hang on to the old tyres incase BMW insists on runflats come trade in.

Now can anyone recomend somewhere around Swindon / South West area to have alignment and possibly fitment done. Do I need a KDS or Hunter alignment, which is better?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Protyre Bristol have a superb reputation.

FCM Motorsport a close second.

The odd inner edge wear of the Bridgstone RFT is VERY well documented here, do a search!

Steve