E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Wheel upkeep

05-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Jcgo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Wheel upkeep

Any recommendations on what type of wheel cleaner to use on hyper silver wheels? Also, what type of tire shine doesn't damage the wheels? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Krells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I just use soap and water to clean the wheels. As long as you stay on top of it that is all you should need. For the tires I use this:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P283/32-oz-S1/
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I'd suggest a pH neutral wheel cleaner:
SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect - Great cleaning power yet completely safe
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Wheel & Rim Cleaner - awesome value

For the tires we have several awesome water based options that look good and are good for the tire:
Optimum Tire Shine
Poorboy's World Bold 'n Bright

If you want a more permanent tire shine that looks amazing for several months check out the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

To save you some money - if your wheels are already new and in great condition, don't go straight for the wheel cleaners, use soap and water on a weekly basis, and your wheels will look new for a long time. Make sure to get into the wheel barrel with a brush or mitt. And apply a sealant or wax to the wheels to make them easier to clean.

I've had pretty damn good results with Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel...and it should be available OTC...
      05-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
digital01
Search or ban.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

For tire shine, preferably you want to use something that isn't silicone based, as these products actually end up drying the rubber out, causing premature aging (cracks, discoloration). As Detailed Image said, try the brand Optimum. I've never tried the gel that he recommended, but I have tried Optimum Tire Shine. Because they are both water based, the dressing can actually be absorbed into the rubber, which in turn conditions the tire. It may not look as intense of a shine with one coat as silicone based dressing, but you can apply multiple coats depending on how glossy you want the tires to be. Be sure to use a cleaner on your tires prior to using these water based tire shines, as they won't work well if you currently have a silicone based protectant on there already.

For that, I'd recommend Sonax Full Effect or P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. Both are ph neutral and can be safely sprayed on both your wheels and tires. For more stubborn contaminants, go with Sonax. For lighter, everyday cleaning, the P21S works great. I switch between both just as a precautionary measure, even though both are considered noncorrosive and ph neutral. Going with the rule of thumb in detailing, use the least required for the job (especially when you're working with $3000+ wheels). Regardless of which you choose, they are both very effective in removing brake dust, grime, grease, etc. The sonax is pretty cool because it turns red once it activates, letting you know that it's breaking down the contaminants on your wheels. The P21S is gel based, so it adheres to the surface better than traditional spray. After spraying/geling, agitate with a soft brush, then rinse thoroughly. Wipe the wheel & tire dry, then you're ready to use the tire dressing that I described earlier. Btw, its ideal to do each wheel one at a time, if time allows.

Hope this gives you a little more insight on wheel/tire cleaning & dressing.
'06 325i Black // iDrive // Cold Weather Pkg // Terra Dakota Leather // Lux 5.1 AE LED // Comfort Access // Premium Pkg // Ray's Sebring 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 w/ 245.35.19 - Mich. PS2 & 275.30.19 - Conti. SportContact2 // Front Bumper Splitters // MSD Air Scoops
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

I'd recommend Sonax all the way. Prior to a few weeks ago, I tried a variety of products (p21s, chemical guys diablo gel, mothers wheel cleaner, just to name a few) which were only okay. The results obtained with Sonax, however, were simply astonishing. I had baked on/caked on brake dust inside of the wheel that I could not get out. I let Sonax dwell for ~3 minutes and agitated with my EZ detail brush and the brake dust melted away. Simply amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
autoaesthetica
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A tin can on boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
To save you some money - if your wheels are already new and in great condition, don't go straight for the wheel cleaners, use soap and water on a weekly basis, and your wheels will look new for a long time. Make sure to get into the wheel barrel with a brush or mitt. And apply a sealant or wax to the wheels to make them easier to clean.

I've had pretty damn good results with Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel...and it should be available OTC...
This is outstanding and would agree 100%. Provided you are taking care of your wheels(as in at least every couple weeks) wheel cleaners are pointless. Sonax is great for maintenance cleaning on maintained wheels, not much past that. CG Diablo for example, especially considering its price tag is a complete joke. I honestly cannot believe some retailers actually sell Diablo and feel good about selling "quality". I think its just a foaming agent with scent added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital01 View Post
For tire shine, preferably you want to use something that isn't silicone based, as these products actually end up drying the rubber out, causing premature aging (cracks, discoloration)...
Just so you guys know, Methicones are basically silicones and a majority of tire dressings on the market have silicone in them - its what gives them their gloss and protective appearances. Unless its body shop approved(which would contain glycerine in many cases), a majority of dressings are not silicone free.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krells View Post
I just use soap and water to clean the wheels. As long as you stay on top of it that is all you should need. For the tires I use this:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P283/32-oz-S1/
+1 wash often soap and water..DO NOT use wheel cleaners...they have harsh chemicals that will discolor and affect the finish of ur wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
just do an upkeep on your wheels weekly to prevent the brake dust from piling up and from baking onto your wheels.
      05-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #10
H4n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

I just keep up on the wheels, with soap and water. But if I can't the sonax full effect is the best, it melts away the brake dust. Spray wait a few minutes and agitate with a brush and rinse.
      05-27-2011, 10:59 AM   #11
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post

This is exactly what I do/use and it works like a champ. Personally, I found it to work every bit as good as Sonax. Actually, I saw no benefit to using Sonax over this method.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Spend a few $ on something like PB Wheel Wax and you can get by most of the year with just soap/water. Thanksgiving weekend I now pull each wheel, clean/clay it, then put on a new couple of coats of PBWW. Something as simple as checking my tire pressure reveals a totally clean rim where my fingers happen to touch removing the valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Enjoiyourlife
Sensei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Anybody notice any discoloration from using Sonax on powder coated wheels?
      06-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

I have not seen discoloration on the wheels, did you make sure you rinsed all of the Sonax off the wheels?

Sonax Full Effect would be the way to go.

To make it even better we have been using Optimum Opti Coat on wheels and it will give you a permanent coating on the wheels just up keep them and you should be good to go.

I have found it to do a great job of brake dust settling on the coating and not on the clear of the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Use the soapy car wash bucket after you are finished washing the car with an ez wheel brush, I also use a mothers powercone. Wax the wheels when you wax the car and when/if you swap them out for winter.
Appreciate 0