2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Juice Box or Procede tunes on F10s? To all 535 owners.

05-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Juice Box or Procede tunes on F10s? To all 535 owners.

Hi everyone,
So it seems us N55 owners have had no attention from dinan, hartage or hamann when it comes to ECU tuning. I have been thinking back and forth about getting this and have done some research. One thing I noticed while I was reading around this is that theres very little information in this forum to guide choice. Theres also no comments from any of us about whether anyone installed any ECU tune on their 35 (theres many 50 owners that have installed the dinan upgrade and seem happy with their results). This is my attempt to gauge response from you on the following:

1. How many 535 owners actually have an ECU tune installed and which one?
2. How did you come to the conclusion this is the tune for you?
3. How satisfied are you with the product of your choice?
4. Any insights to sway someone towards one product or the other?

P.S. I only named procede and JB as it seems they are the only 2 I found that are compatible with the N55 engine.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
78mao
Major
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F10, F13, current->F80, F15 X5

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [1.00]
I have been waiting as well!
I have talked to Procede, they are still working on the 8 speed tranny that we have.
      05-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.mba View Post
Hi everyone,
So it seems us N55 owners have had no attention from dinan, hartage or hamann when it comes to ECU tuning. I have been thinking back and forth about getting this and have done some research. One thing I noticed while I was reading around this is that theres very little information in this forum to guide choice. Theres also no comments from any of us about whether anyone installed any ECU tune on their 35 (theres many 50 owners that have installed the dinan upgrade and seem happy with their results). This is my attempt to gauge response from you on the following:

1. How many 535 owners actually have an ECU tune installed and which one?
2. How did you come to the conclusion this is the tune for you?
3. How satisfied are you with the product of your choice?
4. Any insights to sway someone towards one product or the other?

P.S. I only named procede and JB as it seems they are the only 2 I found that are compatible with the N55 engine.

MBA
1. Ran JB for about 2 months. No problems. Switched to JB3 last week and all I can say is wow. Amazing.

2. Procede was too complicated for me and not yet ready. JB3 took less than 15 minutes to install with basically no technical knowledge whatsoever.

3. Couldn't be more pleased with the power delivery and ease of install.

4. See # 3.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Diesel, did you have any hesitation problem in your car? If that was the case did the JB install take care of it? I have noticed like many others that mine does have hesitation especially from a standstill and its one of the biggest reasons i am looking for a tune. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I still worry about in light of that whole "timing" thread a while back with regard to the Burger tunes. There was so much nonsense in there, it's heard to understand if there was really an issue or not...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Diesel, did you have any hesitation problem in your car? If that was the case did the JB install take care of it? I have noticed like many others that mine does have hesitation especially from a standstill and its one of the biggest reasons i am looking for a tune. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks.

MBA
I originally had the lag everyone complains about. Installed JB+ . Same lag, more power. Got a software update from the dealer to address the lag, which it did, but the JB basically became useless, as Burger said it would with the new software.

Installed JB3 with the new dealer software. No lag, awesome power, and smooth as silk so far. The main difference between the JB+ and the JB3 is the "lagfix" which takes care of some of the low end problems.

Do yourselves a favor and take the gamble. You will not be sorry.

FYI I am also running the JBD in my 335d and holy smokes does that thing fly. I'm happy with the BMS products thus far and can't recommend them enough. Terry has been amazing, answering my stupid questions at all hours and making sure that I am pleased with both the product and the install.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
78mao
Major
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [1.00]
so no problem with engine light or anything so far with JB3?
would the stealership be able to trace it?
      05-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78mao View Post
so no problem with engine light or anything so far with JB3?
would the stealership be able to trace it?
Nothing whatsoever. Followed directions, plugged in four plugs, and off I went. Been about 300 miles or very hard driving, no codes, no problems at all. I have the iPhone app called Rev along with a Kiwi OBD wireless connection that scans for codes and monitors boost, timing, etc. Have logged many many hard runs, boost looks great, timing seems perfect (from what my limited knowledge tells me), and the car feels amazing. I have been trying to throw a code by driving like an idiot but no luck (or good luck I guess...) thus far. Car will break the wheels loose easily from a standstill with a hard punch and a flat foot.

I plan on upping the boost to 3 or 4 psi over stock this week, just haven't had the time. This is done through the JB application and a data cable that plugs into the box itself. Will report back if my eyes are still in the front of my face after a few pulls.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
78mao
Major
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2015 M3 BMW M3  [1.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Nothing whatsoever. Followed directions, plugged in four plugs, and off I went. Been about 300 miles or very hard driving, no codes, no problems at all. I have the iPhone app called Rev along with a Kiwi OBD wireless connection that scans for codes and monitors boost, timing, etc. Have logged many many hard runs, boost looks great, timing seems perfect (from what my limited knowledge tells me), and the car feels amazing. I have been trying to throw a code by driving like an idiot but no luck (or good luck I guess...) thus far. Car will break the wheels loose easily from a standstill with a hard punch and a flat foot.

I plan on upping the boost to 3 or 4 psi over stock this week, just haven't had the time. This is done through the JB application and a data cable that plugs into the box itself. Will report back if my eyes are still in the front of my face after a few pulls.
that sounds pretty good! Looks like Imma be ordering this then I been wanting to boost more power. How was the install? Straight forward?
      05-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

Diesel, do you mind telling me what software update they difto eliminate the lag? Do you have a wotksheet order or a number that I can mention to the dealership? Was there a PUMA? It seems I am going to pull the trigger on this one but maybe I should get this update first then install the JB3. Cheers.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #11
mercury
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Garage List
So you have the N55 Stage 1 installed in your 535i?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #12
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Diesel, do you mind telling me what software update they difto eliminate the lag? Do you have a wotksheet order or a number that I can mention to the dealership? Was there a PUMA? It seems I am going to pull the trigger on this one but maybe I should get this update first then install the JB3. Cheers.

MBA
I have no idea what they did, the description is extremely vague on my paperwork. My car is out in the shop at the moment getting suspension installed but I'll give whatever details I can once it comes off the rack. Originally I complained to my dealer about the lag and about the front end groaning from the suspension and they were both fixed with software only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
So you have the N55 Stage 1 installed in your 535i?
Yes. And it freakin' rocks. Seriously, to all you folks looking at this as an option, I have the technical abilities of a goldfish but it literally, and I mean literally only took 15-20 minutes. If you look at the instructions here http://burgertuning.com/instructions/n55_stage1.pdf you will see how easy it truly is.

As for the performance that everyone has been asking about...I couldn't be more pleased. I don't plan on going crazy with this car, I just wanted a little kick in the ass, and this gave me exactly that. I cannot stress enough, it is not a "maybe I can feel it, maybe I can't," it is a freaking night and day difference and even if it didn't make more power I'd do it again just for the "lagfix."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #13
RLM
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

I took the advice of Diesel and ordered the JB3 and installed it last night, This tune is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be HAPPIER. The car has WAY more punch and everthing works perfectly!!! $393 dollars shipped to my door for 50HP, I would have paid $900 all day for the performance gains I got. GO BUY ONE
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM View Post
I took the advice of Diesel and ordered the JB3 and installed it last night, This tune is the REAL DEAL!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be HAPPIER. The car has WAY more punch and everthing works perfectly!!! $393 dollars shipped to my door for 50HP, I would have paid $900 all day for the performance gains I got. GO BUY ONE
Welcome aboard. Let me know if you decide to bump the boost a little. I'm going to do mine this week, just waiting on my laptop to come back from being borrowed over a year ago. I plan on running +4 PSI over stock. Let's see if my Michelin Super Sports can handle the extra juice...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
RLM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Welcome aboard. Let me know if you decide to bump the boost a little. I'm going to do mine this week, just waiting on my laptop to come back from being borrowed over a year ago. I plan on running +4 PSI over stock. Let's see if my Michelin Super Sports can handle the extra juice...
I'm waiting for your feedback on changing the boost. I'm really curious how much it will effect the power. Do you have anything other than the JB3 on your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

RLM, does the JB3 come with instructions on installation specific to the F10? All Ive seen so far are instructions on 3 series! How long did it take you t install?

MBA
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #17
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
RLM, does the JB3 come with instructions on installation specific to the F10? All Ive seen so far are instructions on 3 series! How long did it take you t install?

MBA
As I hijack your thread, RLM...

You can look at the instructions for the 3 series, just ignore the beginning portion where you remove all the cowling under the hood. There is no need to remove anything, just lay the harness over the top of the motor and you'll begin to see which plugs go where. Easiest is the MAF sensor which is about dead center on top of the motor closest to the windshield. Get that plugged in first as you can see and access it the easiest then the harness will basically show you where each plug is. If you run into trouble Terry will usually answer your email in about 38 seconds...

The only part I don't like is there is no good, comfortable spot to put the actual black box and data cable (if you ordered the cable) so I just stuck it under some of the cowling material on the passenger side of the motor and made sure it wouldn't move or get wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #18
CitrusgutsIS
waste of space
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: 2012 750 M-sport

i just purchased a f10 535 m sport, i see you guys installed jb3, is jb4 compatible? would it give more gains?

2011 335 is l DCT l BSM l saddle brown l Everything else l Sold

2011 x5 35 l AW l red interior l everything else l
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep

Check here for install instructions: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170369.

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page until you see "INSTALLING THE JB3 STAGE 1 TUNE" and start from there. The image shows the JB3 module going into the ECU box, ignore that photo and keep going...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
RLM
Rep

As Diesel has mentioned it's pretty simple to install, The instructions provided are not good at all and the video online isn't much help either. Like Diesel said if you start with the plug that is dead center on the engine the harness will show you the way, however there was a plug that I thought was a little difficult to get to. the plug is located partially under the air cleaner housing, you can grab the whole housing and pop it up to access the plug better.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #21
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

I know Burger claims up to 50hp gain but lookiing at the dyno for the base it shows 278/279 hp @ 1000rpm and with the Burger it is 307-310hp. Is the N55 base really 278/279hp? I thought it was at 300. Perhaps it is 300 at a higher rpm. In any case, I would like to see real comparisons at different rpms. Does anybody know where to get them?
      05-26-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep

So after waffling about this for a while now I have placed an order for the JB3 and will let you guys know what I think once it's here and installed. thanks to all who gave their input and shared on this thread.

MBA
Appreciate 0