2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 Pricing, Ordering, and Tracking (and European Delivery) Advice please on options for a new 520d

05-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
McDob
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d

Advice please on options for a new 520d

Hi,

I'm in the process of ordering a new 520d SE and need some help with the best options to get.

1) I live in a busy street in London. Is parkassist worth it, especially for tight spaces.

2) Is the professional media package worth the extra £35 a month (I'm purchasing the car through a work lease scheme). Is it better getting the USB connect and a good satnav.

3) Any other must have options you would recommend.

Thanks very much in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Prof media is def worth it. It transforms the experience.

I hate to say anything negative....but it's a bloody big car. My f11 was parked next to an X5 yesterday and it's longer than the X5. For me living semi rural in Warwickshire that's no problem at all. Busy london street....? I dunno mate.

I don't have park assist but it would certainly seem worth it for you given the above.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
BMW3FXD
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport (on order)

I'd also look at the M-Sport package - makes the car way better looking IMO (and better handling according to research here). Also take the Professional Media Package rather than Business if you havent already.

Full options I have ordered on my 520d (so far) are...

M Sport Package
M Sport 19" Alloys (351M style)
Professional Media Package
Professional Loudspeaker System
DAB Radio
Comfort Access
Electric Glass Sunroof
Sun Protection Glass
M Rear Spoiler
Split Fold Rear Seats
Ambient Lighting
Internet

Most of these options represent the things I have on my current M-Sport Coupe and couldn't live without!

Whats the expected delivery date?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDob View Post
Hi,

I'm in the process of ordering a new 520d SE and need some help with the best options to get.

1) I live in a busy street in London. Is parkassist worth it, especially for tight spaces.

2) Is the professional media package worth the extra £35 a month (I'm purchasing the car through a work lease scheme). Is it better getting the USB connect and a good satnav.

3) Any other must have options you would recommend.

Thanks very much in advance

as others have said, pro media makes the interior that bit more special though i understand the value perception of things like this might be different for a lease vs retail purchase. mine was private retail so i never had that quandary.

for me essentials were:
- pro media
- DAB (if you haven't ordered DAB...get it...you'll regret it otherwise and there's no retrofit, well no BMW official one)
- hifi upgrade
- 19" wheels
- m-sport
- panoramic roof (i got touring)
- heated seats (now std)
- memory seats (had this in E92 and found it very useful)
- xenon's (so visibility pack)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
gidoc
Rep
Drives: 520d

>>Hi,

2) Is the professional media package worth the extra £35 a month (I'm purchasing the car through a work lease scheme). Is it better getting the USB connect and a good satnav.>>

Hi
can you please share the deal youre getting? Is it a salary sacrifice scheme?
I am ordering a similar one. I have gone for reverse camera rather than the whole park assist, sat nav prof is better although I am currently i use a business sat nav which isnt too bad either. With prof sat nav you can add the USB option, which doesnt work with business sat nav.
Appreciate 0