ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Fantastic track day!!!

I'm still coming off a high from all day yesterday. Absolutely the best experience in my MC thus far. I literally CANNOT believe what this car is capable of. It's UNREAL.

Place: Mission Raceway Park
Track day event sponsored by The BMW Store in Vancouver and Morrisport http://www.morrisport.com/

Tony Morris Jr was our head instructor, and everyone was super knowledgeable and professional.

We only had Group A and B, which meant a LOT of track time. In all, I'd estimate a minimum of 24 laps between 8am - 5pm (with proper cooldown).

Now I know just how well built this car is for the track. There's no feeling like it, and I'm finally getting what everyone else is on about. It's friggen awesome! While others were experiencing some fade near the end (mainly the 335's and one last-gen M5) I never once lost braking. I was told this was a very brake-heavy track as well. A testament to this car (again).
Despite the lack of congestion on the track, I still found myself catching up to others in my group. A 335, M3, 135, STi etc. I went what I thought was balls out and never came close to touching the limits of this car. Love.

Btw... Traction control ON.

I've found my new addiction.

Track:

Some other nice rides w/us:

Cooling down:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Awesome!!! Another one lost to the track addiction.

I totally get it too, as I'm addicted too. It's such a rush and high! Same experience here last time out. Can't wait for my next track day June 6th! When's your next day out?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

glad u enjoyed ur experience on track and have discovered a new dimension to ur m coupe ownership experience. track layout has fairly long straights which explains the brake-heavy runs, although the fact tt u did not experience any brake fade (at all?) is surprising.

dtc on also definitely let loose the nannies to keep ur car, and u, safely within controllable realms. dtc off will be enlightening
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Welcome to the world of learning to drive your Coupe the way it was designed to be driven. Mission is a good track but it is flat and short with walls at the exit of just about every turn.
Bring it down to Pacific Raceways on June 10th (BMW Club $195) or June 11th (Porsche Club $200) and get four 30 minute sessions with great instructors on a challenging 2.25 mile road course.
I ran with the Porsche Club yesterday and did 125 miles plus coached two students.
Name:  pors1201[1].jpg
Views: 295
Size:  330.4 KB

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Very glad you liked it. Sorry, loved it. It can be very addicting..

Just wait until you start driving with DSC off...

GRM had an article about this stuff. Things happen and they happen fast. He said:

"The reality is that the line between a butt-puckering near-miss and a life-altering event is absolutely razor thin. We put ourselves in a thousand potentially disastrous situations during every lap around the track. Our brains and our bodies are constantly dealing with a flood of sensory input and making decisions and adjustments in real time.
In many ways, that's what makes the sport so appealing. That intense level of physical and mental concentration, much like a "runner's high," is a powerful narcotic that sinks its hooks into our brains from the moment we clip that first perfect apex."
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4gs View Post
track layout has fairly long straights which explains the brake-heavy runs, although the fact tt u did not experience any brake fade (at all?) is surprising.
We had sufficient cool-down periods before each heat. No discernible fade, and I was not 'babying' it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
Welcome to the world of learning to drive your Coupe the way it was designed to be driven. Mission is a good track but it is flat and short with walls at the exit of just about every turn.
Bring it down to Pacific Raceways on June 10th (BMW Club $195) or June 11th (Porsche Club $200) and get four 30 minute sessions with great instructors on a challenging 2.25 mile road course.
I ran with the Porsche Club yesterday and did 125 miles plus coached two students.
I'm definitely going to join you this summer. The guys had nothing but good things to say about Pacific Raceways (they race there frequently). I'm not back from Maui until the 10th. When is the next session after that Jim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Awesome!!! Another one lost to the track addiction.
When's your next day out?
As soon as humanly possible. Need my fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post

Just wait until you start driving with DSC off...

GRM had an article about this stuff. Things happen and they happen fast. He said:

"The reality is that the line between a butt-puckering near-miss and a life-altering event is absolutely razor thin. We put ourselves in a thousand potentially disastrous situations during every lap around the track. Our brains and our bodies are constantly dealing with a flood of sensory input and making decisions and adjustments in real time.
In many ways, that's what makes the sport so appealing. That intense level of physical and mental concentration, much like a "runner's high," is a powerful narcotic that sinks its hooks into our brains from the moment we clip that first perfect apex."
Yah no kidding. I had the best sleep of my life that night. Although I was going through each turn in my head prior to dozing off.

I used to think I was a fast road driver... but you really can't compare it to what happens on the track. Trying to hit each apex and perfect your line... all at the MAX (or whatever your max is for your skill level).

And that sound! I am SO happy I got headers. Rolling from 4K on through the gears has GOT to be one of the sweetest sounds, not to mention how effin fast ur going.

Just plain awesome fun
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
PR Marque Club Calendar

Porsche Club:
7/6/2011 DE Ground School
7/13/2011 Driver Education