E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Cracked wheel issues again

05-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Cracked wheel issues again

I posted up a thread about Sytner agreeing to replace my two rear 225m wheels under warranty after a run out test. That was back in February and due to my wrong phone number being taken down, I've only just been rung back today regarding them. Only thing is now they are saying to me that only one wheel is eligible for replacement under warranty and the other is due to pothole damage. I have yet to check if I have anything to say in my paperwork about replacing both, but I don't think they have.

Where do I stand guys? The woman on the service desk told me that the runout test was successful and that they were replacing them both under warranty.

TBH I have Alufelgens now but it is pointless me having 3 good wheels and a cracked one.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
did u get anything in writing? ,...as soon as she told you they would be replaced, should have requested a written confirmation!...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
catdog1121
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Hyundai coupe

A spoken contract is as valid as a written contract, the difficulty is proving it. Best thing would be to go in and confront the person you spoke to and tell them they said both wheels would be replaced under warranty. See what their reply is, dont do it on the phone or they can wriggle out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Hey interested selling one of your good wheels? Looking for a rear?
      05-20-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
m3gkr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer View Post
Hey interested selling one of your good wheels? Looking for a rear?
ditto.......
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog1121 View Post
A spoken contract is as valid as a written contract, the difficulty is proving it. Best thing would be to go in and confront the person you spoke to and tell them they said both wheels would be replaced under warranty. See what their reply is, dont do it on the phone or they can wriggle out of it.
They are telling me that BMW have refused to replace one and Anneka on here has been a brilliant help to me and has spoken on my behalf to Sytner Sutton who got in contact with BMW UK. I'm going to find out the results of the runout test and decide where to go from there. I haven't spoken to the person on service who promised me the replacements but will take it up with her on my next visit.

If I get both replaced then I'll be selling them as a set, if they only replace on rear then I'll split them and PM those who have expressed interest.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
did u get anything in writing? ,...as soon as she told you they would be replaced, should have requested a written confirmation!...
Wish I had, but hindsight is a great thing. In reality they had made me 20minutes late for work the previous day so I was in a rush to get going.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sure, just one question, ive also
Got two cracked 225m's that have jus happened, cannot drive at the moment as need to replace the damn alloys. Did you have to pay or the runout test? And if my car is out of warranty will BMW still care?
      05-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Since the runout test at the time was supposed to be successful on both, I was not charged at all. Which is why I'm so miffed that they are only replacing the one wheel now.

Considering BMW's attitude towards the people with warranty, I doubt they will be interested towards those out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

/damn...that means i need to go buy some wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Since the runout test at the time was supposed to be successful on both, I was not charged at all. Which is why I'm so miffed that they are only replacing the one wheel now.

Considering BMW's attitude towards the people with warranty, I doubt they will be interested towards those out of warranty.
      05-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #11
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:

There's your proof surely?

The run-out test was successful on both, you were not charged for EITHER. That is proof that both wheels were in tolerance and not damaged as result of impact.

Both wheels passed the same test. Why should one be replaced FOC and the other charged for?

Have you got Anneka involved in this?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:

Plus, if the test was successful before on both & they were already both cracked - have you used the wheels since?

Any subsequent run out changes since the test could be due to the crack that was already established, not due to a pot hole alone.

When you think about it - 2 cracked wheels - one due to manufacturing defect, the other we won't replace as we think we can hide behind some other reason we can try and pin on you.

Pathetic.
      05-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #13
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

idnan,

Do you still have the results/printouts from the run-out tests? This is best chance of getting this sorted FOC I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
There's your proof surely?

The run-out test was successful on both, you were not charged for EITHER. That is proof that both wheels were in tolerance and not damaged as result of impact.

Both wheels passed the same test. Why should one be replaced FOC and the other charged for?

Have you got Anneka involved in this?
Anneka has been very helpful and looked into the matter really quickly and has been nothing short of brilliant.

My feelings on the run-out test are exactly the same, they were successful and I wasn't charged. Therefore I should be given two new wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///ajd View Post
Plus, if the test was successful before on both & they were already both cracked - have you used the wheels since?

Any subsequent run out changes since the test could be due to the crack that was already established, not due to a pot hole alone.

When you think about it - 2 cracked wheels - one due to manufacturing defect, the other we won't replace as we think we can hide behind some other reason we can try and pin on you.

Pathetic.
I had the tyres removed myself and gave the bare wheels to Sytner to have the run-out test performed. I was told that both were within the set limits and that I would have to wait for them to come back into stock for them to be replaced. I have not even seen the wheels since I dropped them off for the run-out test.

I agree, it is absurd that they are trying to wriggle out of an issue that is clearly a manufacturing defect. Both wheels had identical looking cracks and were supposedly within the limits of the run-out test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
idnan,

Do you still have the results/printouts from the run-out tests? This is best chance of getting this sorted FOC I think.
Unfortunately not, I'm will be phoning up on Monday to find out what the results were.

Thanks for all the help guys, I completely forgot about not being charged for the runout tests and will argue my case on Monday. I was told that the service manager was appealing against the decision made by BMW, which was declined and I was given BMW UK's phone number to ask them myself.
Appreciate 0