E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Auto gearbox oil leak

05-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Auto gearbox oil leak

I searched for this (not especially tenaciously) but didn't see anything - is this common? My car has leaked a little fluid onto the drive in the 6 months I've had it, my wife kept saying it was oil, I kept ignoring her as the engine oil was fine and carstend to dump a lot of water these days from the air con, but I asked them to check at a recent service and yes it is gear oil. Some kind of cover needs replacing on the auto box - that's another £100 warranty excess gone then!

On that note, I pay by DD, does anyone know if I can up my payments and move to the "no excess" policy? Obviously not to avoid this payment but for future peace of mind? Since I bought my "gold" warranty policy I'm £450 down this year through a combination of work that was not covered as it was within 28 days of the payment, and excesses, and that is with the garage having twice taken the excess off! The "no excess" policy appeals - a lot!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
FLUTE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Parked up my 335i in the garage and after a few days I found a small puddle of oil on my floor. Took it to a local indy and diagnosed fault as a seal on the connecting plug for the gearbox level switch. Cost around a tenner plus fitting of around 1 hour. Also had the gearbox sump changed for peace of mind as these are noted as a common fault.
Hope this helps
Ps mine is the auto box, don't know if they are different.

Flute
Appreciate 0