E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Computer says no!

05-13-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Computer says no!

Just had my 320d in for service at 51000 miles/4 years.

Pathetic, they didn't even change the oil as 'computer says no!'...no filters changed either.

Still it was cheap £67 including changing brake fluid, as follows:

Service - standard - £16.60
Brake fluid service - £33.20
Fluid - £6.75
all + VAT of course.

Oh and they washed the car too.

So I've decided to change the oil and oil filter myself as well as air and pollen filters as none appear to have been changed, except oil, since new and now over 50000 miles. I've done the oil and filter before so no problems there. I've also got the service code resetting software thingy.

I bought a service kit of filters on ebay which seemed good value and now need to tackle changing them.

Air/pollen and oil should be easy once I've found them (!) but I've also got a fuel filter. Where does this go? Is it a DIY change or does the system need something clever for bleeding?

Any 'How to's' around for DIY service, etc, on a 320d 2007?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
So if they didn't actually do any service work, what the hell is the £16 service charge for?
      05-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep
Drives: BMW

That is the standard scope service which is on every service, which is your lights check and resetting of the service lights.

Also, why change your oil and air fiter? The servicing is condition based, so does not need doing until it informs you on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySi View Post
Also, why change your oil and air fiter? The servicing is condition based, so does not need doing until it informs you on the dash.
.............. think its what they call peice of mind!

My M3 says 14000 between oil services - but i'll be changing it half way thru myself
      05-15-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Tipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320d SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySi View Post
That is the standard scope service which is on every service, which is your lights check and resetting of the service lights.

Well I for one would like the peace of mind knowing I had new oil and filters every now and then. That's why I intend to do my own oil and filter changes as I have done for the last 40 years!

51000 miles and only one oil change is just not good enough imho. And don't give me line about oil is better these days. It may well be but it's the sh1t that gets in the oil that wears the engine not the oil.

Sorry but I don't believe everything BMW says!
Appreciate 0