ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Doing Skip Barber in July at LRP!

Just as the title states, I'm super stoked to finally do a Skippy school! It's something I've yammered about doing for YEARS and never had a fire lit under me to pull the trigger on a pretty expensive program. I was lucky enough to get signed off to jump right into the 2 Day Advanced school with my on-track experience in the HPDE world which saved me a few bucks. Still stupid expensive but I know it'll be worth it. I wish they gave discounts for students that bring their own helmet, suit, gloves and shoes!

I opted for the MX-5 Cup cars over the Formula cars because my primary goal is to get that letter I can submit to the SCCA for a license. I figured doing it in as familiar of a platform as possible was the way to go. If I was going just for kicks, I'd totally do the Formula program! But I think it'll be a lot of fun lapping in the MX-5's as I haven't yet driven a momentum car.

Haven't been on track at LRP with my car because it's always just a bit too expensive ($300 for one day??) so it'll be a great novelty finally getting to lap that circuit. I'll be hitting the tapes quite a bit!

Any Skippy alumni in here?
      04-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Best of Luck. I went to the 3 day race school last year at Sebring, one of the best things I've ever done. One of my great friends and driving mentor saw the differences at the new HPDE and couldn't believe the jump I made in skill level (as a matter of fact his wife signed him up for it now to refine his skill and get the SCCA school out of the way as well). I went with the Formula School and am glad I did, the vehicle dynamics of that car teach you how to be smooth, and show your mistakes super easy. Once you learn to drive one of them correctly it's an amazing experience. I was even luckier that it rained on day 2, and anyone whose been to Sebring knows how challenging that track can be in the wet, doing it in a car like a skippy formula was truly a joy and to this day probably one of the best memories I have of my driving career.

As my instructors said at the end of the weekend "Any one of you could go jump in that MX-5 and tear the track up, the MX-5 guys jumping into the formula cars, wouldn't be so pretty". That being said I too am likely going to try my hand at SM Racing at the end of the year and the reality is that you'll learn a ton in either car, just go out there with an open mind and have fun. As part of the SCCA portion you have to learn green flag starts... it's a lot of fun and you'll learn real quick who in your class can drive and who can't!