E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Red Light Camera Ticket

04-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Red Light Camera Ticket

Got a red light camera ticket in the mail today. It's ticketing me for passing a red light. I made a right on red and there was NO sign saying you couldn't turn right on red. This was on Long Island too.

Is it ticketing me because I didn't come to a full, complete stop before I made the right on red? I've seen that camera go off on cars that only their front wheels pass the line, it's ridiculous.

Anybody know if I can contest it and win?
      04-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Sorry bro... it's harder to fight them now, NY is poor and they even have video's i heard.... but i maybe wrong. GL
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
I'm pretty sure you can't put a red light camera on an intersection where rights on red are allowed.....maybe wrong.

Are you familiar with the area? You sure they didn't put up a new sign? Or you missed it?

How much is the ticket anyway? Most of the time you'll end up paying more with parking, court fees, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
I'm pretty sure you can't put a red light camera on an intersection where rights on red are allowed.....maybe wrong.

Are you familiar with the area? You sure they didn't put up a new sign? Or you missed it?

How much is the ticket anyway? Most of the time you'll end up paying more with parking, court fees, etc.
Ticket is $65 ($50 + $15 for 'administration fee' )

And yes I am very familiar with the area...I pass by through there all the time. There was definitely no new sign. I even checked the other day specifically for that because I recently have been seeing a ton of cars being caught at that specific spot where I got the ticket.
      04-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
Ticket is $65 ($50 + $15 for 'administration fee' )

And yes I am very familiar with the area...I pass by through there all the time. There was definitely no new sign. I even checked the other day specifically for that because I recently have been seeing a ton of cars being caught at that specific spot where I got the ticket.
Well if I remeber correctly, court fees in Jersey probably double that.

So unless NY is alot cheaper, I would just pay it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Well if I remeber correctly, court fees in Jersey probably double that.

So unless NY is alot cheaper, I would just pay it.
Guess I'll just take the hit.

Just wanted to add something that shows how CORRUPT this system is:

Just about an hour ago I was at this same intersection waiting for a left turn red-light to turn green. I was about to turn onto the street on which I got my other red-light camera ticket. The light was broken or something and wouldn't turn, and some idiot behind me starts honking his horn. Not wanting to get a ticket, I wait at the light while the idiot behind me passes around me, in front of me and onto the street where the lane led to, and out of view of the red light camera (if there even was one there) and guess what - NO FLASH = NO TICKET.

Amazing, huh? They are strategically placing red light cameras in areas where they will get the most $$$, but aren't necessarily the most dangerous areas.
      04-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Guess I'll just take the hit.

Just wanted to add something that shows how CORRUPT this system is:

Just about an hour ago I was at this same intersection waiting for a left turn red-light to turn green. I was about to turn onto the street on which I got my other red-light camera ticket. The light was broken or something and wouldn't turn, and some idiot behind me starts honking his horn. Not wanting to get a ticket, I wait at the light while the idiot behind me passes around me, in front of me and onto the street where the lane led to, and out of view of the red light camera (if there even was one there) and guess what - NO FLASH = NO TICKET.

Amazing, huh? They are strategically placing red light cameras in areas where they will get the most $$$, but aren't necessarily the most dangerous areas.
Yea dude it's all extra revenue for the local pigs....

I don't mean to be arrogant with the following statement but my hometown is one of the wealthiest towns in NJ. Over the past couple years my town has been building a new police station and getting new chargers.

The building is ballin. But in a town that rarely sees crime?

Tax money down the f'in drain.....

I get so pissed everytime I drive by it.....but today there was an Enzo parked outside across the street. So I was smiling lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I got the same exact red light ticket 3 weeks ago. Apparently I committed the "violation" back in February. It was at the intersection where the Plainview Shopping Center is. From what I saw on the video, I slowed down very reasonably, and at night when there was basically no cars at sight. NY roads, NY laws..god damn NY.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I got the same exact red light ticket 3 weeks ago. Apparently I committed the "violation" back in February. It was at the intersection where the Plainview Shopping Center is. From what I saw on the video, I slowed down very reasonably, and at night when there was basically no cars at sight. NY roads, NY laws..god damn NY.
So you contested the ticket but still had to pay it?
      04-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Cuffss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335xi 6mt M-Sport

they have been installing red light camera's all over nassau county recently, i live down the block from Eisenhower Park and just about every red light around it has cameras now. no bueno
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
So you contested the ticket but still had to pay it?
I didn't bother contesting it. If it doesn't affect my license then why bother?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

FYI and little known fact since nobody bothered to tell the public...You must stop for a full 3 sec. before making a right on red otherwise you will get a ticket. With Nassau's new system which I feel is nothing more than a money machine for them. If you go over the line the camera will activate and take a pic, it's not a problem unless you continue on through, then a second pic will be taken and the video will be taken as well.

When you get your ticket there will be information on the ticket that will tell you how to go on line where you can view the video of your car going through the red light. Bottom line it's a loss of work and pay to waste your time fighting the ticket unless you can document a broken traffic light or maybe having to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

Funny enough the County Exc. states the camers are all about safety, yet he has the revenue from the cameras as a line of income totalling millions in his budget. The right on red feature is not even necessary but the county wanted it to make more money. Get ready there are 50 more going on line after passing just one more gov't hurdle. IMHO, it's just another TAX on the people....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I didn't bother contesting it. If it doesn't affect my license then why bother?
It won't. Goes against the reg, on the vehicle not the op. But if you don't pay them they will suspend your reg.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #14
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad335 View Post
FYI and little known fact since nobody bothered to tell the public...You must stop for a full 3 sec. before making a right on red otherwise you will get a ticket. With Nassau's new system which I feel is nothing more than a money machine for them. If you go over the line the camera will activate and take a pic, it's not a problem unless you continue on through, then a second pic will be taken and the video will be taken as well.

When you get your ticket there will be information on the ticket that will tell you how to go on line where you can view the video of your car going through the red light. Bottom line it's a loss of work and pay to waste your time fighting the ticket unless you can document a broken traffic light or maybe having to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle.

Funny enough the County Exc. states the camers are all about safety, yet he has the revenue from the cameras as a line of income totalling millions in his budget. The right on red feature is not even necessary but the county wanted it to make more money. Get ready there are 50 more going on line after passing just one more gov't hurdle. IMHO, it's just another TAX on the people....
Right I understand you must stop but what I'm wondering is how the camera deciphers who is stopping and who isn't and when to take the pic...to me it seems like the camera is taking pics of everyone, even if you stop.
      04-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

u know the one on northern blvd, by the americana, near bed bath and beyond, mobil, etc that one takes pics randomly. it's weird...
Appreciate 0