2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Getting rid of run flat tyres on F10??

04-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
k44ENT
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI DCT

Getting rid of run flat tyres on F10??

Has anyone ditched the runflats for normal rubber? I am thinking of getting rid of the 17" wheels with run flats for some 18" with normal tyres. Looking at the 328 rims with 245/45/18 Dunlop sport maxx tyres.
Would this setup on an 520d SE sports auto improve the straight line wandering that seems to plague the F10. To be honest my car is pretty good but you still need to make very slight corrections at motorway speed on certain surfaces, which leads me to think it's a run flat tyre issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
DuneMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i, Sophisto Gray

My car has OEM Goodyear RFTs... very hard ride, very sensitive to pot holes.

I've read good user reviews on 'tire rack' about normal "Michelin Sport" and "Michelin Super Sport" on.
http://www.tirerack.com/

I plan on getting them... just waiting for my insurance co to reply with their OK.

Last edited by DuneMan; 04-23-2011 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
O.S.
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi Msport

here you go ... a couple of threads down I have mine :
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515996
comparing Michelin Super Sport with stock Good Year LS2s

I can not be happier with my new Michelin PSSs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E61 View Post
Has anyone ditched the runflats for normal rubber? I am thinking of getting rid of the 17" wheels with run flats for some 18" with normal tyres. Looking at the 328 rims with 245/45/18 Dunlop sport maxx tyres.
Would this setup on an 520d SE sports auto improve the straight line wandering that seems to plague the F10. To be honest my car is pretty good but you still need to make very slight corrections at motorway speed on certain surfaces, which leads me to think it's a run flat tyre issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
jlgwu
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC X-Drive M Sport

My 535i M-Sport came with Michelin Primacy HP ZP rfts. I understand that they're better than the GY's. However, I really didn't like the hard ride not to mention forcing me to replace the tire (if it can even be found) in case of a nail. So, I ditched them and bought the Conti Extreme Contact DW's (non rft's). I carry a compressor, tire plugs and a jack kit in case of emergencies.

Alot nicer ride, quieter and better handling. IMO, makes the car behave alot better. Some say they're a bit soft but a couple lbs extra pressure helps alot. Rated really good on Tirerack and the price is decent too.

I'm really happy with my choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Dez550
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i X Drive, 01 Z8

Just replaced the GY Eagle LS on my 550xi MSport with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport-non run flat after 1200 miles. Cornering is enhanced dramatically and small potholes really are absorbed nicely. Kept the M Sport 19" wheels and stayed with the 245/40 size. There is at least a 50% improvement in handling too. Dealer matched Costco price of $280 and change plus balancing. Installation was gratis.

If I change out the springs too I believe I would have the handling of the 5 series of yester year. Still considering as I assess feedback on what spring is best to use.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgwu View Post
My 535i M-Sport came with Michelin Primacy HP ZP rfts. I understand that they're better than the GY's. However, I really didn't like the hard ride not to mention forcing me to replace the tire (if it can even be found) in case of a nail. So, I ditched them and bought the Conti Extreme Contact DW's (non rft's). I carry a compressor, tire plugs and a jack kit in case of emergencies.

Alot nicer ride, quieter and better handling. IMO, makes the car behave alot better. Some say they're a bit soft but a couple lbs extra pressure helps alot. Rated really good on Tirerack and the price is decent too.

04-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
michaelfed32
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 530 i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgwu View Post

Did you stay with the 19's or did you switch to 18's?
Appreciate 0