E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Stupid cop

04-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

Stupid cop

Today I was pulled over because a cop guarding at the construction site told another undercover cop that I was driving too fast? (maybe I accelerate a bit hard from a stop to 90-100km/h in a 80km/h zone on hwy 7).

Then I drove very normally. I knew the undercover was driving behind me and wanted to pull me over for some reason.

First thing he came up to me was to say people saw me driving too fast and the tinted license plate cover. I tried to defend I wasnt driving fast he didn't seem to believe me at all. Maybe I look too young and drove such a car.

Then he asked me to turn the steering wheel and see if there is any rubbing, then check my engine if there is any engine mod. Thank god, all I said was THERE ARE ALL OEM STUFF.

Obviously he cant just give me a speeding ticket without any evidence of me speeding. But he started to bullshit me.

1: Ownership, I appreciate my father provided me a car to drive and I worked for the mods on the car. But I don't know why he started bullshiting about how I don't appreciate what I have?..

2: Disrespect, I didnt say any offensive words I just answered whatever he asked me. Maybe he won't be satisfied for my behaviour unless I appeared to be VERY GUILTY?

3: Lastly he checked every thing on my car, nothing wrong at all. Maybe by that time he thought I still didn't confess for the speeding(which I didn't really speeding). He got kinda mad. He checked my record, 1 speeding ticket. Then he just assumed I am a fast driver. that's it. Then he said the person who gave me the previous speeding ticket is his colleague. He doesnt believe me not speeding. He even threated me that: HIS MISSION IS TO GET MY DRIVER'S LICENSE SUSPENDED.

Anyways, I finally got a "tinted license plate cover" ticket, which is absolutely pointless. He say he couldnt see my license plate 110m away. yes, that's what he said 110m away. How the fuk can you see what's on the license plate 110m away? I would definitely go defend myself.

Conclusion: When you got pulled over by a cop, you don't have any dignity. Always like being a criminal. (I got pulled over several times). It's almost impossible not to get a ticket (at least some minor tickets because I looked young). I always wonder why wont they go eliminate other REAL criminals instead of working on these tiny stuff? They can simply ask me to take the cover off and let me go. Somehow the government likes to spend a lot of money from us taxpayers to pay for those fatass cops have nothing to do other than giving "Obstruct Plate" tickets and used up justice resources to process tinting tickets, parking tickets, etc...They should be more focus on drunk driving or real speeding.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Andy1991; 04-18-2011 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

The license cover thing is one of the reason why I kept my dealer covers on. I was pulled over for that same reason, because they couldn't see my rear plate since dirt got on it during winter. I told him, "ironically, your MTO office sells these." Though, I can understand why they want to be able to see your plate - red light camera/toll. But anyways, technically we're not allowed to have anything covering our plates. If I get pulled over for them now, I'll just blame the dealer.
      04-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
The license cover thing is one of the reason why I kept my dealer covers on. I was pulled over for that same reason, because they couldn't see my rear plate since dirt got on it during winter. I told him, "ironically, your MTO office sells these." Though, I can understand why they want to be able to see your plate - red light camera/toll. But anyways, technically we're not allowed to have anything covering our plates. If I get pulled over for them now, I'll just blame the dealer.
you don't seem to have your front license plate either lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

The cop here is really bullshit.
I understand enforcing harsh on drinking driving, but start bullshiting for speeding over 10~20kph is so stupid.
When the cop starts to bullshit, just listen and ignore.
Just go to the court and claim if he didnt use the speed gun.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
Thussy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Unfortunate story. What sort of mods does your car have to have him want to check your engine?

I hope you have his name and badge number (assuming it's on the ticket), I would write in a complaint. There's no need for him to attack you re: appreciation, and the threat is definitely out of line.... especially considering all you did was have a tinted plate cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
HowFast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6Speed

First of all, I totally agree and although not all cops are pricks, the ones that are ruin it for the rest. I am also a young BMW owner and since I have purchased my car (about 2 weeks now) I have been pulled over two times already. The first time, the cop pulled me over to "Just take a look inside", which consisted of him ripping apart my interior. What made me really uncomfortable was when he asked for consent to search the vehicle.

The conversation when as so:
Cop: I need you to consent to having your vehicle searched.
Me: Well do I really have any option?
(I was being a smart-ass but he really did pull me over for no reason)
Cop: Well if you have nothing to hide you would consent to a search, and if you do not consent to a search I will examine your vehicle's exterior more carefully and there may be a discrepancy resulting in a ticket or your vehicle being "Not Road Worthy".

I then consented to a search and the officer went through each compartment and made me open the trunk. After he did the search he then told me to have a great day (even though it was the middle of the night) and drive safe.

The second, the cop pulled me over and I was speeding (about 10km/h over), but he said he pulled me over for reckless driving. When I asked him how my driving was reckless (this time in a polite manner) he replied that I changed lanes without signalling and it was abrupt. Which I then admitted to but I explained that I was avoiding a pothole. Needless to say, I did not receive a ticket and the cop was really not so bad to deal with.

To summarize:
Some cops take their authority to a new level and this gives a bad image to police forces.

Fun Fact:
I live in a town with a population of 75,000. This town has one police officer to every 500 residents. That is 150 cops, on top of that in 2007 it was voted on to use Photo Radar Boxes instead of having a 2% property tax increase. The increase in property tax would have resulted in about $150,000 increase in city revenue, instead the Police Station had a revenue increase of $280,000 and the city only received $78,000. We have the highest paid police in the entire province of Alberta and one of the highest police/resident ratios.

Sources:
http://www.medicinehatpolice.com/news/index.html
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #7
HowFast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe 6Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taYab View Post
Just go to the court and claim if he didnt use the speed gun.
As much as I wished this worked, it doesn't. It is the word of a Official Police Officer over a Civilian. Even if the officer is lying, he is the only one who knows what went on in his car.

Best advice I was ever given was to watch this video and just get informed:
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

Yeah. There are some cops with descent dignity.
When I bought my z4, I was pulled over 5 times in 2 months span just for cops to look what kinda car it is.
Anyways, one question. Can cops issue ticket for lowering the car too much or moding too much??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #9
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

Do we have any lawyers on these forums?

Some of you guys need to learn some of your rights, and how to deal with cops as such. Just because he's a cop, doesn't mean you have to listen to him about everything he asks you to do.

I've had cops ask me to roll up my windows so they could see if they are tinted or not. I've told them the windows are broken. They ask me if they can try to roll up the windows for themself. I tell them no...I ask the cop if he's holding me? He can't hold me unless he has specific reasoning to do so. He had none, so he had to tell me no. I drive off while laughing at them.

People get the wrong impression that, because they are cops, you have to listen to everything they tell you to do. That's not the case. You had no reason to show him your engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
studie
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, 328i

many cops are like that
first thing they want to do is try to impound your car!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE View Post
People get the wrong impression that, because they are cops, you have to listen to everything they tell you to do. That's not the case. You had no reason to show him your engine.
Reasonable cause to search you is up to them to decide. Honestly, if they are a prick they can f with you as much as they want. When dealing with cops, it's best just to stfu and be polite. I've had countless times where I want to beat the shit out the officer, but in the end I just say "thank you and leave." Last thing you want to do is leave an impression for him to hassle you in the future.
      04-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
ELITE_TRAYUNZE
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 07 E90 328i Sport

They only hassle you because you don't know your rights. Prove to them that you know your shit, and they back right off. They most definitely cannot "F with you as much as they want"...but I bet they do "F" with you because it's clear you don't know you're rights...

Sure, if he wants to give you a ticket for no reason, he can. But as long if you're not half of a dumbass in court, it's an easy case to win when all he has is his word against yours...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #13
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

They can give you a ticket for rubbing?

And yeah, I agree with what some people have said already - you don't need to give them consent to search your interior. If they had the lawful grounds to search (like the smell of drugs or whatnot) they'd be searching your car instantly without any questions. Likewise, I'm pretty sure you don't have to pop your hood for them but just to be polite (and when you know you don't have any mods) you could just do it anyways.

Best of luck with the ticket OP.
      04-19-2011, 03:26 AM   #14
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They only hassle you because you don't know your rights. Prove to them that you know your shit, and they back right off. They most definitely cannot "F with you as much as they want"...but I bet they do "F" with you because it's clear you don't know you're rights...

Sure, if he wants to give you a ticket for no reason, he can. But as long if you're not half of a dumbass in court, it's an easy case to win when all he has is his word against yours...
I haven't been f'd with more than what I deserved with a minor exception. By hassling, I mean them personally flagging you between himself and his buddies. Do you really want to create unnecessary attention? By the way people are being spotted in the GTA, it definitely seems like they are travelling in a specific boundary daily. It would really be unnecessary for them to bother you just because you showed them "you know your rights." Especially, if you have mods on your car that they can constantly bother you for. Besides, I just said be polite and try to avoid unnecessary conflict. I certainly am not saying let him poke you around, but it seems to have worked for me so far - unless being polite is a problem, then that's another case.
      04-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Just be glad you don't have the "tan" I have I get treated 10 times worsts.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
sathees siva
$*~TIVU EMPIRE~*$
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
They can give you a ticket for rubbing?

And yeah, I agree with what some people have said already - you don't need to give them consent to search your interior. If they had the lawful grounds to search (like the smell of drugs or whatnot) they'd be searching your car instantly without any questions. Likewise, I'm pretty sure you don't have to pop your hood for them but just to be polite (and when you know you don't have any mods) you could just do it anyways.

Best of luck with the ticket OP.
Yes, they can give you a ticket and even tow your car if your rubbing. It really depends on the officer. I got a ticket for rubbing (Improper Tires - that's what the ticket stated).
      04-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #17
homieG
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F

that sucks Andy. i was on hwy 7 last night and saw mad cops. saw 4 cruisers box in these 3 mazda's by center street. then i drove a lil further and saw a undercover po turning onto 7. hopefully that wasn't the duche that pulled you over!

i've gotten a warning before on my previous car for the plate cover. i just took it off in front of him and he was cool with it. few days later i put it back on. i've never been pulled over in my bmw.....surprisingly! but i used to get pulled over a lot in my previous cars. weird...

i would fight the ticket for sure though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
sathees siva
$*~TIVU EMPIRE~*$
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

It's a easy ticket to beat. Just take a picture of the car without the cover before you go to court and show the picture to the prosecutor and cop. Ticket will be thrown out.
      04-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #19
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:

Haha so true since hearsay evidence is not admissible in Ontario courts.

If you want to never be hassled by any officer regarding a traffic stop, you just need to read 2 documents.

1. The officers code of conduct which they all agree to and
2. The Drivers License agreement you signed for with the Province.

It may help to stop referring to the vehicle as yours since the Province issues you a "permit" (look that up) and the Province puts their plates on their car. Plates and car don't belong to you, License doesn't either. When you produce "your drivers license" and you think the car is yours, the judge knows he's dealing with an uninformed person. They generally don't mess around with people who know what is going on but you'll need to educate yourself first.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
plogan
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Mineral White DCT

I agree some cops are “hard headed” which gives a bad image for the rest. I had an incident last year where I was speeding no more than +20km/h and the cop was driving the complete opposite direction. The cool guy he is, decided to fully turn around and follow me for a good 2 km, and let me take a left turn at the lights before he decided to pull me over. Then I thought it is just going to be another random pull over but I was wrong. He comes out and yells at me as soon as I put the window down asking me if I wanted my license to be taken away because I was speeding. When I told him I was not speeding since he had no evidence that I did, he continued to lecture me on how many years he has been in service like I “cared”. But it didn’t stop there, he called in another cop around the area to come check the trunk, flashlight the interior and so on, and told him to issue a +10km/h speeding ticket and left WTF !

I ended up taken the ticket to court where they dropped it since the cop did not show up.

But the gist of the story is, since when were you allowed to let your buddies issue tickets on your behave with no evidence present. Btw I’m referring to PEEL cops.
      04-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thussy View Post
Unfortunate story. What sort of mods does your car have to have him want to check your engine?

Loud exhaust....:

Suprised he didn't give you also a ticket for unnecessary noise....

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #22
TaporSnap
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1991 View Post
Today I was pulled over because a cop guarding at the construction site told another undercover cop that I was driving too fast? (maybe I accelerate a bit hard from a stop to 90-100km/h in a 80km/h zone on hwy 7).

Then I drove very normally. I knew the undercover was driving behind me and wanted to pull me over for some reason.

First thing he came up to me was to say people saw me driving too fast and the tinted license plate cover. I tried to defend I wasnt driving fast he didn't seem to believe me at all. Maybe I look too young and drove such a car.

Then he asked me to turn the steering wheel and see if there is any rubbing, then check my engine if there is any engine mod. Thank god, all I said was THERE ARE ALL OEM STUFF.

Obviously he cant just give me a speeding ticket without any evidence of me speeding. But he started to bullshit me.

1: Ownership, I appreciate my father provided me a car to drive and I worked for the mods on the car. But I don't know why he started bullshiting about how I don't appreciate what I have?..

2: Disrespect, I didnt say any offensive words I just answered whatever he asked me. Maybe he won't be satisfied for my behaviour unless I appeared to be VERY GUILTY?

3: Lastly he checked every thing on my car, nothing wrong at all. Maybe by that time he thought I still didn't confess for the speeding(which I didn't really speeding). He got kinda mad. He checked my record, 1 speeding ticket. Then he just assumed I am a fast driver. that's it. Then he said the person who gave me the previous speeding ticket is his colleague. He doesnt believe me not speeding. He even threated me that: HIS MISSION IS TO GET MY DRIVER'S LICENSE SUSPENDED.

Anyways, I finally got a "tinted license plate cover" ticket, which is absolutely pointless. He say he couldnt see my license plate 110m away. yes, that's what he said 110m away. How the fuk can you see what's on the license plate 110m away? I would definitely go defend myself.

Conclusion: When you got pulled over by a cop, you don't have any dignity. Always like being a criminal. (I got pulled over several times). It's almost impossible not to get a ticket (at least some minor tickets because I looked young). I always wonder why wont they go eliminate other REAL criminals instead of working on these tiny stuff? They can simply ask me to take the cover off and let me go. Somehow the government likes to spend a lot of money from us taxpayers to pay for those fatass cops have nothing to do other than giving "Obstruct Plate" tickets and used up justice resources to process tinting tickets, parking tickets, etc...They should be more focus on drunk driving or real speeding.

Just my 2 cents.
So your saying you gunned it from a green light to a 100km/hr past a cop in a construction zone, then drove normally once an unmarked car got behind you. And you don't know why you got pulled over? Duh.
2007 550i Carbon Black M Sport - Sold
2006 TiAg 330i - Sold
Appreciate 0