E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A Perspective on BMW owners...

04-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

A Perspective on BMW owners...

I have owned my 335i Coupe 6MT for 1 year this weekend. I have enjoyed it immensely and still discover its many virtues, and caveats every month. This forum, and the Bimmerfest Forum, have a multitude of very helpful, opinionated and passionate BMW owners.

On that note, the opinionated types I am very guilty of being, but there are many degrees of opinions, and also types. I fall into the category of the type that enjoys motoring, only own this vehicle for pleasure, and also have a passion for many interest in motoring, racing, motorcycles, rally, F1 etc.

But why do some Bimmer owners think BMW is the end all and everything else not worthy? This is where the perspective of a Bimmer owner gets a bad rap, as they portray this snobby attitude as if their superior, which in reality in only their ego, or lack there of, then the car they drive.

I am not a lover of the Infiniti or Lexus cars, but I certainly respect them as fine automobiles, as I do Audi/Mercedes/Porsche and even Cadillac as of late. Yes Japanese cars lack the soul of a German car, but its a different beast, and offers a consumer a great option to German/Euro and Detroit makes.

Everyone chooses a car for different reasons, but some of us are fanatics, and love the engineering and race pedigree, or the innovation, or the luxury and performance. Owning a BMW does not make one superior, its only serves to feed a passion about cars for most here on the forum.

Just look at the inner debates on RFT's, JB upgrades, and Manual vs auto paddle shifters?

In closing, I still yearn to have in my driveway, a Aston Martin DB, a Porsche C4S, and a Suburu WRX decked out for off road. But I have to settle for a 335i...poor me.

Cars I have no desire to own, a Corvette, a Viper, 98% of anything made in Detroit, and a Yugo.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

It's a status car as well as an enthusiast car so you will find both types of people here. I dont mind it as I myself am a sarcastic asshole.

About the Americans, they make some truly great sportscars and trucks but are lacking in other segments.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
Online forum demographics. The average age of BMW owners are in their late 40's, but those online are teens and young adults. A lot of immaturity, insecurity, and ignorance. The 3 "I"s rule the internet.
Yes, this is also why the quality of the community tends to go down as the model itself gets older and more attainable, as we've seen lately.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Time to move on to f30post.com I suppose. I frequent bimmerfest.com more due to the maturity and quality of posts, but of late it's turning a lot like here. "I just got a CPO 335 for $25k and gonna slap a JB3 to burn my friend's STI."
+Over 9000
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Online forum demographics. The average age of BMW owners are in their late 40's, but those online are teens and young adults. A lot of immaturity, insecurity, and ignorance. The 3 "I"s rule the internet.
Especially those teens who get mom and daddy's hand me downs.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Interesting perspective, actually never thought of it that way. True, the typical BMW 3 driver is 40+, earns mid 100's, and probably doesn't spend all day on the web. If one goes to the 7 forum, or an M5 or 6 forum, it's quite different, seems like there are people who login just to get an answer. Whereas here on the 3 forum it's the never ending what color combo, should I use premium, computer never displays the right mpgs (but how do you calculate mpgs btw), do you get more dates with your 3, etc.

I remember being on the Nissan forum since my car was new, and being treated like a child, as if I shouldn't be driving the Nissan flagship or something at my age (it was my first new car and hey I was in grad school). This one guy kept telling me you love BMWs so much, why don't you get one already. haha 9 years later, I did...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
rgpwr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08.M6

It happens on every forum as cars become affordable. And the way kids are acting nowadays doesn't help things at all.
      04-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
Wow, I was going to post something just the other day commenting on the overall quality of the forum as of late. I haven't been a member of the forum for all that long, but I've been in love with the e90 since it came out, and I've been reading the forum for several years now. At 25, I don't feel old by any means, but I just don't understand why people come on here to bash each other. And at the same time, I CANNOT understand where people get off being so lazy! I see people starting the same threads over and over, asking the same freaking questions. Pay your dues like I did, people! Read all 17 pages of a thread to get an answer you're looking for. Only reply to things if you have something good (or witty) to say. And for the love of God, brush up on your basic English skills! Obviously it's just a forum, so nobody expects you to be a grammar teacher, but sweet Jesus, some of the things I see on here look like someone just had a seizure at the keyboard.

Feels good to get all that out.
      04-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
kw515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

^ +1
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
BTTGMan
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe - space gray

Thread summary: "kids these days!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Interesting perspective, actually never thought of it that way. True, the typical BMW 3 driver is 40+, earns mid 100's, and probably doesn't spend all day on the web. If one goes to the 7 forum, or an M5 or 6 forum, it's quite different, seems like there are people who login just to get an answer. Whereas here on the 3 forum it's the never ending what color combo, should I use premium, computer never displays the right mpgs (but how do you calculate mpgs btw), do you get more dates with your 3, etc.

I remember being on the Nissan forum since my car was new, and being treated like a child, as if I shouldn't be driving the Nissan flagship or something at my age (it was my first new car and hey I was in grad school). This one guy kept telling me you love BMWs so much, why don't you get one already. haha 9 years later, I did...
I am a recent BMW convert. I guess i also fit the profile "the typical BMW 3 driver is 40+, earns mid 100's, and probably doesn't spend all day on the web".

I drove a Lexus LS for the last 7 years and I had to buy another car due to an accident in SF involved a hippie and his 1954 UPS truck (converted to personal use with flowers painted all over).

I fought the urge to buy a BMW for the last 20 years. Couldn't justify paying over $70 plus for a car in our current economic environment this time around so I gave BMW a try. Never quite understood why many BMW owners are so fanatical in the past. Now, I get it. I love it so much---I even join a forum such as this.

I own Lexus, Merc, Accura, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and even Ford in my lifetime. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them. They all serve a purpose. This is the first car that makes me want to learn more about its components and characteristics.
      04-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
SHOWTIME
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

I own Lexus, Merc, Accura, Nissan, Mitsubishi, and even Ford in my lifetime. I don't have anything bad to say about any of them. They all serve a purpose. This is the first car that makes me want to learn more about its components and characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
New Guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: A BMW

I agree, however look around, its not just on forums. Its like everyone is out to be the biggest bone head. Good manners are a thing of the past. Im the type of person that if i dont have anything good to say, i do my best not to say anything at all. I could care less what someone else likes-buys or how they mod their car. Internet forums has just made it easier for some to act like bone heads.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

It's called group/herd mentality. If you are different from the group (don't drive a BMW) you are lesser. The utmost respect for individuality, choice, and free speech no longer exists as it once did in North America, and hence you will find some of these attitudes reflected in cars, sports, race etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #15
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Also a recent convert to BMW I am also in the plus 40 group.
I chose an older CPO for a few different reasons though.
This is my first car as a daily driver since '91 I have had my own business and thanks to schedule 179 depreciation I would buy a new truck every 3 years.
I couldn't justify buying a vehicle that I could not write off.
After selling my business I needed a vehicle and it dawned on me that I dont have to buy a truck ...so the search was on.
I looked at every Euro car and finally decided on a BMW. After weighing the pros and cons of new and used I decided try a used vehicle thinking if I dont like it I can get out of it and not take the depeciation hit. Not having a car for twenty years I wasnt sure if I would even be happy without a truck.I love this car and will probably keep it until the warranty runs out that will give me a year and half to decide on a NEW 3,5,6 or 7 series.
I do understand the sentiments of some that as these cars get cheaper so do the owners It's true with everything cars,boats,motorcycles etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #16
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
I have owned my 335i Coupe 6MT for 1 year this weekend. I have enjoyed it immensely and still discover its many virtues, and caveats every month. This forum, and the Bimmerfest Forum, have a multitude of very helpful, opinionated and passionate BMW owners.

On that note, the opinionated types I am very guilty of being, but there are many degrees of opinions, and also types. I fall into the category of the type that enjoys motoring, only own this vehicle for pleasure, and also have a passion for many interest in motoring, racing, motorcycles, rally, F1 etc.

But why do some Bimmer owners think BMW is the end all and everything else not worthy? This is where the perspective of a Bimmer owner gets a bad rap, as they portray this snobby attitude as if their superior, which in reality in only their ego, or lack there of, then the car they drive.

I am not a lover of the Infiniti or Lexus cars, but I certainly respect them as fine automobiles, as I do Audi/Mercedes/Porsche and even Cadillac as of late. Yes Japanese cars lack the soul of a German car, but its a different beast, and offers a consumer a great option to German/Euro and Detroit makes.

Everyone chooses a car for different reasons, but some of us are fanatics, and love the engineering and race pedigree, or the innovation, or the luxury and performance. Owning a BMW does not make one superior, its only serves to feed a passion about cars for most here on the forum.

Just look at the inner debates on RFT's, JB upgrades, and Manual vs auto paddle shifters?

In closing, I still yearn to have in my driveway, a Aston Martin DB, a Porsche C4S, and a Suburu WRX decked out for off road. But I have to settle for a 335i...poor me.

Cars I have no desire to own, a Corvette, a Viper, 98% of anything made in Detroit, and a Yugo.
VERY WELL SAID!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
stom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 E70 4.8

Cars, like a lot of other materialistic things, say a lot of whom we are, good and bad. I think it's when we confirm those perceptions to others that it becomes truth in their eyes. I love cars in general, everything from Detroit muscle to Bimmers but I'm not sure what vibe I would have given out had I owned my X in my 20s. I guess maturity brings self confidence which makes us humble.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Just my thoughts, I appreciate the 335i for what it is and isn't. More often than not, out of habit, I still drive my 1998 Nissan to work. I don't need for people to see that I have a 335 coupe. I told the story of how my first week at the current job, I took the CIO's parking space--he even went to my coworker and told her that new guy took my space. So he saw what I drive. Then, a little more than a month ago, the recruiter who brought me in was entering the office at the same time as me. He says, "Mr ******** and his tricked out 3 Series." I glance over and he has a Hyundai Tucson.

Yes, cars say a lot of whom we are, and imho, when you're younger than everyone else, and in the same position, you don't want them to necessarily see your 3 Series, unless you're in sales. Although not here, in reality, a 3 Series is beyond what many people will attain for a car. Just too many other places to spend the money in life.

With all this being said, I'm perfectly fine with my car in the garage, and taking it out when it's only me and the road...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i koop

Quote:

There should be a question when you sign up: "Do you still live with your parents?"

If NO, you are allowed to post.

If YES, you get re-directed to myspace.

Some of the ignorant posts on here by that age group of "young adults" is hilarious, and the fact that they take themselves so seriously is even more hilarious.

I'm sure some out there are more mature for their age, probably a small %. I was once young and stupid, but fortunately we grow out of that. It seems many on this forum have not. Those who talk the most shit on here probably still hear their mom calling them to come to dinner while typing away as an internet tough guy.

fools!

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

As has been stated here before.

"Those who think that everyone is driving the most expensive car that they can afford tend to be people who are driving the most expensve car they can afford."

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post

Just ignore stuff like that; a lot of people feel they spent hard earned money on a car that stirs their animal passions/emotions a little more because its connected with the road; so they tend to speak in aggressive terms...and others feel the world should respect theirs status because they bought a 3 series.

Who cares.

BMW makes pretty good cars, they are a good compromise, esp with RWD. Saying anything more is stupid. Certainly not the master of the track or supple comfy ride...its a compromise in between.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

For me, as a new BMW owner (had1 for a year about 3 cars ago), this forum has been like a car wreck......you don't want to look but you do. I too have been dragged into the odd discussion that has gotten more serious than it should have and its those discussions that have a negative effect on my ownership experience. Threads like this are great but when you get chastised for your opinion or lack of knowlege it takes the fun out of it. Unfortunately we all get lumped in with the arrogant and ignorant BMW owners here and I don't like it. I probably will go back to Audi and believe it or not, this forum has played a part in that decision.......along with RFT etcetc.
Appreciate 0