E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help needed!!!

10-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Help needed!!!

I have a Black Sapphire E90. While washing the car today, I noticed a few spots with apparent paint damage on the trunk area. :mad: It appears that the clear coat is etched by either bird dropping or tree sap.

The car had been treated with three coats of Zaino, but this damage looks permanant. I tried washing the car with Dawn and reapplied Zaino but the spot remains. I have tried 50% diluted vinegar. I have tried windex. I have tried everything but nothing seems to work.

These spots are very small (about 1/2" in diameter) can only be seen when light is reflected at certain angle. The affected area isn't as reflective as the rest of the trunk. Any suggestions? Should I get a porter cable orbital polisher and polish the paint/clear coat? Please help me!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i ZSP/TiAg/Blk

Bird poop is hard on paint.

Zaino polishing or wax are not likely to help with a minor surface blemish.

I'll suggest 3M Imperial Hand Glaze which is useful for the sort of problem you describe, as well as minor swirl marks, minor oxidation, etc. This is a gentle product - not a cutting or rubbing compound. Zymol HD Cleanse is similar and works well (a real Zymol product, not Kmart Zymol). The Zaino Z-5 polish for marks and scratches might work, but I have no experience with it.

I would first work by hand and not use a machine. Start with a very small amount - maybe the size of a fingernail, follow the directions on the product, and go at it gently. Once applied and removed, you will want to re-protect the affected areas with Zaino.

get off the phone and drive
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

You'll need to polish the spot. Something like Zaino ZCP should do the trick. If working by hand, work the product in until it is totally clear. I wouldn't advise using 3M IHG. It is not compatible with Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Thanks for your input! After some research, I went to a local Target store and bought Meguiar's SCRATCH X for about $7.99 and a microfiber towel. After rubbing the affected area with Scratch X for about 2~3 minutes, I let the compound dry up for about 15 min. Once the compound dried to a white haze, I wiped it with the microfiber towel. Now I can't tell where the spots were! I am amazed at what Scratch X could do! It even got rid of scratch mark left behind by previous attempts with clay bar.
Anyone with water spots or bird dropping etch problems, give this product a try.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4891

Mine looked like type II water spots.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't advise using 3M IHG. It is not compatible with Zaino.
I'm not understanding. Would you please say what this means?

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #6
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima
I'm not understanding. Would you please say what this means?
3M Imperial Hang Glaze, is just that, a glaze. It's basically just oil that fills in scratches temporarily. It is not compatible with Zaino if used under Zaino because it will inhibit the Zaino from bonding to you paint. Zaino muslt be applied on totally clean paint. If applied over zaino, the solvents in the IHG will strip your zaino off. Not a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
tima
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Ok - thanks for the follow-up. I have used 3M IHG in the same way I had used Zymol HD Cleanse - as a paint prep/cleaner prior to waxing. Carnauba sticks ok, but guess not Zaino. The HD Cleanse left the paint 'squeaky clean'.

Appreciate 0