E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > California Speedway driving school with BMW CCA Los Angeles...

04-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

California Speedway driving school with BMW CCA Los Angeles...

https://events.r20.***************.c...e815b014&oseq=

This is the first time I've seen the use of Constant Contact for sign up.

Anyway, it's a Friday, one day only school. I'm trying to find out how much the school is, last I hear is $325? Anyone planning on going?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

Beats working!
      04-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Signed up early for the garage.
HACK, you going to be at Laguna Seca that Monday with the GG CCA?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Signed up early for the garage.
HACK, you going to be at Laguna Seca that Monday with the GG CCA?
No way. I did that in March, driving up to Laguna Seca then turn around for Chuckwalla. I'm in no mood to try that again.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

I signed up to instruct. Hope to see you there!
      04-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

Guys, early bird registration closes on May 1st...A mere week and a half away!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
CT310
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Porsche 996

Wish there were more details on the site. Would be good to know if this is only for novices or if they'll have intermediate run groups. Judging from the 'driving school' description, I can probably answer my own question.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT310 View Post
Wish there were more details on the site. Would be good to know if this is only for novices or if they'll have intermediate run groups. Judging from the 'driving school' description, I can probably answer my own question.
Actually there's 4 run groups, A+, B, C, and D. B & C are intermediate, A+ is about as close to a Race School as you can get within BMW CCA rules, and D is for beginners. There's not a lot of details on the website because the organizers's in-laws are in the hospital with a serious illness and I've been trying to help spread the word as much as I can without the aide of a more descriptive website. Here's what I've been told to post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctioned L.A. chapter blurb
Posting on behalf of BMW CCA Los Angeles Chapter...

Our premiere event at the L.A. Chapter “Home Track” is undergoing some changes! This year, in order to make the track more affordable in the face of this slow recovering economy, we’ve decided to offer Auto Club Speedway as a one day only event on Friday, June 10th for the attractive pricing of $320! Burn a sick day, start your weekend off right by spending it with us on the track!

We will be continuing our excellent “A+” program that’s been drawing rave reviews from all around the region, with improved traffic management, intense off-track classroom sessions, and fun on-track exercise to bridge the gap between driving schools and “the next level.” Be sure to check with the event organizers to see if you’ve been recommended to take our A+ program.

If you’re not familiar with our High Performance Driving School driver’s training program, it’s been often described as “the most fun you can have with your clothes on.” Advanced driving techniques beyond what you can learn on the street or through most driver’s training programs, techniques that makes you a safer AND faster driver, will be taught in a controlled environment. Passing rules are clearly defined to ensure the utmost safety to you and your vehicle. A qualified instructor will be assigned to you and will be riding with you, not only to instruct you in the fine-art of high performance driving, but to also keep a second set of eyes out for you and your safety. We at the L.A. Chapter of BMW CCA and the extended Pacific Region is quite proud of our record and low rate of on-track incidents. This is THE BEST and safest environment to learn to push you and your car to the limit.

So come drive at the world famous Auto Club Speedway with us!

Register through Constant Contact and pay via check or PayPal. $320 for early bird registration (Early bird closes on May 1st) without garage or $345 with garage. $350 AFTER early bird expires on May 1st!
Please note, if you've never driven with the Pacific Region BMW CCA, you will not qualify for the Advanced A+ school.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Maybe post in the California section too since many don't even check the track section.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
CT310
Private
Rep
Drives: 2002 Porsche 996

Thanks Hack. So even intermediate drivers get instruction? That would be great on this track.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Everyone gets and "instructor" but most of the A guys seem to get signed off to go out on their own.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Please tell me you have enough people to make this happen?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #13
The HACK
Rep

When I last asked how registration was coming alone, the response from the Driving Event Coordinator was "good." So I take that as we've got enough to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just got an email from the LA CCA saying this maybe the last time they'll have an event there.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #15
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

According to our Driving Events Coordinator yesterday morning, we have enough people to make the minimum. This event is happening! It should be really fun.

The BMW CCA schools teach so much it is hard to imagine going to the track without attending these first. When I run with other organizations it is always obvious who has been to a good school (they know what they are doing) and who has never been to a good school (they THINK they know what they are doing, but are really dangerous).

Anybody on the fence should jump on this ASAP!
      05-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e9x's View Post
According to our Driving Events Coordinator yesterday morning, we have enough people to make the minimum. This event is happening! It should be really fun.

The BMW CCA schools teach so much it is hard to imagine going to the track without attending these first. When I run with other organizations it is always obvious who has been to a good school (they know what they are doing) and who has never been to a good school (they THINK they know what they are doing, but are really dangerous).

Anybody on the fence should jump on this ASAP!
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks for posting the notice on the board. I learned a lot yesterday about driving smoothly and understand that I have a long way to go. I found myself a bit overwhelmed at times, but my instructor did an awesome job of keeping my mind on the right things as we traveled around the track. Having an instructor there to provide feedback and advice was invaluable.
      06-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoduffer View Post
Thanks for posting the notice on the board. I learned a lot yesterday about driving smoothly and understand that I have a long way to go. I found myself a bit overwhelmed at times, but my instructor did an awesome job of keeping my mind on the right things as we traveled around the track. Having an instructor there to provide feedback and advice was invaluable.
I wish more people would realize this. The CCA events are awesome.
Come out to Buttonwillow. I know it's a drive but it's suppose to be a great track to learn at since it really depends on the driver vs. power. And there aren't walls all over the place.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543341

Appreciate 0