2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Just ordered - how long to wait?

04-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d SE

Just ordered - how long to wait?

Have just completed the paperwork to order a 520d SE company car. Assuming that my purchasing team are quick(!) and the order to BMW goes through at the end of next week, how long am I likely to be waiting?

In case anyone is interested I've ordered a bog-standard SE with just DAB Radio, model deletion and smokers pack deletion. Have to pay cash for any options, so DAB was as far as I wanted to go (ambient lighting was tempting, but £200+ for bulbs seems a lot when paying cash)

In Alpine White, with Cinnamon interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochdale Pioneers View Post
Have just completed the paperwork to order a 520d SE company car. Assuming that my purchasing team are quick(!) and the order to BMW goes through at the end of next week, how long am I likely to be waiting?

In case anyone is interested I've ordered a bog-standard SE with just DAB Radio, model deletion and smokers pack deletion. Have to pay cash for any options, so DAB was as far as I wanted to go (ambient lighting was tempting, but £200+ for bulbs seems a lot when paying cash)

In Alpine White, with Cinnamon interior.
At the risk of stating the obvious, your dealer will be best placed to answer that question .
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't have a dealer! It'll be ordered through Masterlease whose website states 8-10 weeks. Which compared to the leadtimes my colleagues have seen is wildly optimistic!

Asked the question because from what I have read on a few other threads it seems like lead times are dropping from 14-16 weeks down to more like 10-12. Was wondering if anyone has either ordered recently or just taken delivery who has a better idea of wait.

Yes, ring a dealer. If I had the opportunity to do so at any stage between order and delivery. Which sadly I don't. It'll even be delivered by a 3rd party.....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
I don't have a dealer! It'll be ordered through Masterlease whose website states 8-10 weeks. Which compared to the leadtimes my colleagues have seen is wildly optimistic!

Asked the question because from what I have read on a few other threads it seems like lead times are dropping from 14-16 weeks down to more like 10-12. Was wondering if anyone has either ordered recently or just taken delivery who has a better idea of wait.

Yes, ring a dealer. If I had the opportunity to do so at any stage between order and delivery. Which sadly I don't. It'll even be delivered by a 3rd party.....
OK, instead of calling a dealer, why don't you phone Masterlease? As per my earlier comment, I would think the organisation, be it dealer or lease company, would be best placed to answer your query and their information will probably be more accurate than varying reports from around the country.
As it happens my F10 arrived within 6 weeks of placing the order, but that was last year and delivery times vary from dealer to dealer; in your case, I expect the same applies to different lease companies.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

You're looking at about four months. I ordered the same vehicle from a lease company at the end of January and I am still waiting. It's expected some time in May - probably around the 18th.

Others tell me the same about their orders. Maybe colour and specification has some bearing as well but don't hold your breath is the answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking at mid August then. My purchasing team won't be happy about all the excess mileage charges coming their way from the end of June - should have pulled their finger out then!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

stockton on tees! a few mere miles from my old home town of the boro. live darn saaaarf now though
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
stockton on tees! a few mere miles from my old home town of the boro. live darn saaaarf now though
Yep, I know that area well as well. The Jovial Monk at Ormesby
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Brief and optimistic update. My order form has flashed through my company at a ludicrous rate of knots (email saying "please order" received 11ish Friday morning, order form completed and signed by my boss and the MD and the car administrator in the post to head office by 1:30pm Friday, form signed off by Chief Exec and order placed with Masterlease this afternoon! An absolute record.

So, Masterlease are insisting that lead time is 10 weeks, so add on another week for luck and another for dealer prep and I should have it early July.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Brief and optimistic update. My order form has flashed through my company at a ludicrous rate of knots (email saying "please order" received 11ish Friday morning, order form completed and signed by my boss and the MD and the car administrator in the post to head office by 1:30pm Friday, form signed off by Chief Exec and order placed with Masterlease this afternoon! An absolute record.

So, Masterlease are insisting that lead time is 10 weeks, so add on another week for luck and another for dealer prep and I should have it early July.
Fingers crossed for you

Maybe an order can be fast tracked upon payment of some ££££ ???? Perhaps this is what happened in your case - your current lease people do not want to pay the excess mileages on your current lease and its more cost effective for them to fast track your car? No idea but perhaps that's what happened? Or of course the lead times have improved

Either case, personally I will wait for my car until 18th May even if it becomes available before then. Do not want to leave a brand new motor in Birmingham Airport long stay for two weeks when I go to Minorca !
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #11
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

I reckon 10-12 weeks seems to be normal... Mine was ordered by the lease company Jan 14th... picked it up April 8th - though it was ready by April 1st.
      04-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have just seen the order confirmation. Order placed 16th April, expected delivery date 30/8. That's 19 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

Quote:
Have just seen the order confirmation. Order placed 16th April, expected delivery date 30/8. That's 19 weeks!
Bad times... My F11 came from
Stock so no wait (except for the snow...) my colleague ordered a 316d touring it's taken 12 weeks! The dealer told him it's like ordering soufflé in restaurant they don't just have them cooked and ready to go, but it's worth the wait... He nearly cancelled the order!! So you could be thankful you don't have to hear that bs... Sorry you've got to wait so long... It will be worth it... And you never know with such a late build you might get some free options.... Like the heated seats I had to pay for!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Heated seats are now standard, as is USB. Wondering if 19 weeks is a bit of an exaggeration - hope so, otherwise may have to use two cars to go on summer holiday once child #3 arrives in June
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
bukes3xn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport

I would say 19 weeks is a very conservative estimate.. I had my order confirmed with the lease company (Arval) on the 4th February and the car is being delivered tomorrow, just under 12 weeks start to finish. The car has actually even been at the dealers for the past week while my current lease expires, so I would say it could have been less than 11 weeks!

The original estimate from BMW when I ordered was towards the end of May so there seems to be a pattern of 'early' deliveries. Having said all that, when I did ask Arval for an update on delivery about 10 days ago, they said it was still on track for end of May but if I wanted to contact the dealers to talk about delivery specifics I could. So, a few days later I contacted Sytner corporate direct and they told me the car was already at the dealers! Moral of that story: Its worth finding out who your supplying dealer is, if you can...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

lol - dealers want to shift cars out of their yard as soon as possible! Yeah, 19 weeks seems like a very long time. I have a direct contact now at Masterlease who I may start hassling at some point in July.....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #17
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

I also got mine "early" Mid May was delivery estimate and I got the motor last Tuesday - the 19th. So about 4 weeks earlier.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep

I also meant to say all I have, poor me ( ) is the bog standard 520d SE. No options at all since, like you, I have to pay cash myself for them, so did not bother, reasoning the base spec was still a high one.

All I can say is WOW !! What a car. Even as base it has plenty of gadgets and gizmos to keep you busy Performance is fine - for sure it is no Ferrari but no slouch either. Of course, would have liked to have had the auto and built in sat nav but that would have meant £4k of my own dosh on a car that is not mine and I would have to hand back if I left my job and to add insult to injury higher tax and emissions. No thanks.

Super car. My only disappointment is that no split seats and I think that a bit mean of BMW when every other premium car has them standard - this was a f*** up of mine and I should have speced them and read the literature more carefully. I just didn't think to do so as *every* car has them nowadays as standard kit !!! Coming from a Passat Estate and the room that has in the boot this is my only concern regarding this beemer moving forward. Would have loved the 520d Estate but out of my grade allowance. At the end of the day, my Passat estate facility I genuinely needed perhaps ten times in three years so I reason I can live without it. If I need to move house/kids/buy a telly, I will hire a van for £30/get it delivered.

I wanted a mile muncher that was supremely comfortable with high base spec that was safe and tax efficient. The fact that it looks great and is the dogs danglers to drive is a bonus.

Still delighted all the same. Great car.

Last edited by shiner; 04-27-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
Hub Dub
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 520d Touring F11

I ordered my 520d Estate (also Company Car) at the end of January and have had confirmation today that it is in stock and being delivered next Thursday - I make that 14 weeks. Interestingly, the original delivery date was scheduled at end of June (more like 22 weeks) so I'm quite pleased they've bettered that. Obviously they were managing my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Rochdale Pioneers
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys, feeling better already! Kirkster - agree with your space concerns coming off my E91. But with kid #3 arriving in not very long I want the rear seat space, and can get a roof box....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
bukes3xn
United Kingdom
Rep

Hurrah for roof boxes... I've just spent 3 years in an A4 Avant having got rid of a 330 Coupe, after convincing myself that i'd need the extra space for all the stuff my 5 year old carries around... then I realised it's her mum that insists on packing enough provisions for a week in the desert, not just a jaunt up the motorway... I must have used the extra space at most 6 times in those 3 long harsh BMW free years...

But life began again today, Space Grey 520d M Sport on the drive and a huge huge grin on my face! You're going to love it when it arrives, even if it takes 19 weeks!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
bukes3xn
United Kingdom
Rep

oh, forgot to say... the new beast is much larger, more luxurious, spacious than my old A4, especially in the back, which is important for your soon to be 3 kids... But the most remarkable thing is that the way it builds speed is so deceptive... Because its so smooth and quiet you dont notice it the same way as you can with say, an A4 (mine was the 170PS 2.0TDi) or Passat where you get that shove in the back, a load of noise, maybe even a belch of smoke (!) when the turbo kicks in... But it is quicker, I'm convinced of it, even after 1 day.
Appreciate 0